MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Earth Sci 2WW3 Fight0 2nd Year Course Reviews 35 11-05-2016 12:31 AM
can take Earth Sci 2WW3 without any first year earth sci course? rmfldkdtm Academics 2 09-06-2011 10:43 AM
Earth sci 2WW3 mcmastergcdb Academics 0 12-22-2010 11:38 AM
Earth Sci 2WW3 vs. Earth Sci 2MM3 The MACster Academics 6 06-19-2010 02:58 PM

Questiona bout Earth Sci 2WW3

Old 09-03-2012 at 11:41 PM   #1
jake0405

Liked: 0 Times

Questiona bout Earth Sci 2WW3
Hi,
From the review i see that Earth Sci 2WW3 is a very easy course but these are all reviews from few years ago. I heard that recently the course got restructured and harder (along with term paper).
So anybody who has taken the course recently could tell me if the course is still easy?

Thanks
Old 09-03-2012 at 11:46 PM   #2
jimimusic

Liked: 11 Times

not easy at all. don't take it...
Old 09-03-2012 at 11:48 PM   #3
L_Blankfein

Liked: 11 Times

I found it easy, Jimi. I do not want to sound demoralizing, but I studied the day of, for the final; wrote the paper the day it was due and I finished with a 12. However, it is imperative you get 9 or 10/10 on those quizzes to get a good mark. As well, it is not too hard to do well on the paper.

I had Bernier.

Good luck.
Old 09-04-2012 at 12:16 AM   #4
kotton

Liked: 9 Times

Yeah, it's a easy elective.
Old 09-04-2012 at 07:54 AM   #5
Jesses

Liked: 1 Time

I took it last year with friends, and Dr. Bernier. The quizzes had some detailed questions but they were online (thus open book, open Google) and I did them with a group. You had a certain # of attempts until the highest grade was taken, so there were quite a few chances to do well and all together the quizzes made up a big bulk of the final grade. There were questions on the quizzes about the videos shown in class and material Bernier mentions in class (not on the slides) so it helps to take detailed notes.

The paper was fairly simple and shouldn't be difficult if you know how to pick through some journal articles and compose a coherent argument. The exam however, was likely the easiest exam I ever wrote for a course! It included questions about case studies, which were given (so it was like basic reading comprehension), and an essay (which was not bad if you recycle some of the material you used in your term paper). Lecture material wasn't on it and one of the case studies on the exam he had given us prior as practice. I had never studied so little going into a final. Dr. Bernier is also a really nice prof! Most people I know who took it got either 11 or 12.

Kayesar says thanks to Jesses for this post.
Old 09-04-2012 at 12:59 PM   #6
Husnia

Liked: 2 Times

I honestly thought it was pretty fair. Especially when you take it with a group for the quizzes. The paper was definitely not difficult at all. Honestly, attend class and actually read up on the case studies and you're guaranteed a 9+ at the very least.
Old 09-05-2012 at 07:31 PM   #7
jake0405

Liked: 0 Times

so would it be hard to do well the quizzes alone?
Old 09-05-2012 at 07:52 PM   #8
Jesses

Liked: 1 Time

You can still do well, it'll just be harder to get perfects/near perfects on the quizzes but I'm pretty sure you can still end up with 80+ after a few attempts. It might be beneficial to read through notes before hand just so you know where everything is since the quizzes are timed and it may take awhile to find a particular answer. My friend opted to do the quizzes alone and I think he usually scored between 80-95 whereas in the group we usually went until everyone had 90+ (the time it took was significant though). In the end he still got a 12 because the exam was quite simple and he did really well on the paper.