MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Engineering I (Co-op) And residence questions! :) TabbishAziz First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 28 05-16-2011 06:50 PM
A Few Residence Questions...... shes-a-diva* Residence & Housing 21 01-19-2010 07:13 AM
Bates Residence Questions Daman K Bates Forum 4 09-03-2009 03:45 PM
Residence System Questions. Juicebox General Discussion 10 05-14-2009 06:38 PM

questions accruing on first year residence and off campus resourses

Old 07-05-2012 at 12:51 AM   #1
Waynelaw

Liked: 0 Times

questions accruing on first year residence and off campus resourses
Hi everyone,
I am most certain that I missed the deadline for application and am currently on the waiting list. So I am so hectic about getting a place to stay in Hamilton and thus, having the following questions.

1. How often would a waiting list applicant get accepted to residence,

2. Should I wait?

3. if not, is it really difficult in renting a off campus apartment as others say it is a hunt

4. how much is an average apartment?

5. Or should i instead find an apartment around Hamilton, such that i can arrive to the campus within a hour by bus?

6. And pretty obvious, I know no one from mac, and should i just rent a flat and live by myself or should i ask for anyone, who has a similar situation to room with?
I am pretty messed up and would like to hear your precious opinions. Doubtlessly, the longer I hesitate, the lower the chance I can get a place to live. But I am so indecisive and clueless on my next move.
Thank you so much!
Old 07-05-2012 at 01:21 AM  
MacNeuro

Liked: 76 Times

Warning: This post has been reported
This post has been flagged as violating the MacInsiders Code Of Conduct, and is being reviewed by one of our staff. It may contain offensive material. Click here to view.

Old 07-05-2012 at 01:23 AM   #2
MacNeuro

Liked: 76 Times

Chances are that you won't end up getting on campus residence. Just go to McMaster's off-campus housing website and look through the listings, there are plenty of houses. Houses tend to be cheaper than apartments. One bedroom apartments can be $650+ per month. Houses are about $400 with utilities.
Old 07-05-2012 at 01:25 AM   #3
Waynelaw

firstly, thank you. if i cant get a place to stay in Hamilton, I will probably end up waking up at five and travelling 3 hrs to school. And i will probably end up renting a one bedroom apartment, because i know no body at school
Old 07-05-2012 at 01:27 AM   #4
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

See quote /12chars
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynelaw View Post
Hi everyone,
I am most certain that I missed the deadline for application and am currently on the waiting list. So I am so hectic about getting a place to stay in Hamilton and thus, having the following questions.

You can choose to wait to the end
2. Should I wait?
Your call. You can get it, what you get is a different matter
3. if not, is it really difficult in renting a off campus apartment as others say it is a hunt
[b] Yes and no. Yes as in you might not find what you like (if you hate basements there will def be more of em. Ground/upper floors harder) and no because there are plenty of rooms vacant
325-600/month + utils
5. Or should i instead find an apartment around Hamilton, such that i can arrive to the campus within a hour by bus?
I know people who live in hamilton (up the mountain) and bus everyday or people who rent and live across street
6. And pretty obvious, I know no one from mac, and should i just rent a flat and live by myself or should i ask for anyone, who has a similar situation to room with?
I am pretty messed up and would like to hear your precious opinions. Doubtlessly, the longer I hesitate, the lower the chance I can get a place to live. But I am so indecisive and clueless on my next move. Depends on the type of person you are. It is always handy to room with someone from your program
Thank you so much!
Old 07-05-2012 at 01:30 AM   #5
Waynelaw

Thank you Kenneth, and obviously i missed the orientation, is there any other sort of event going on in the summer?
Old 07-05-2012 at 01:42 AM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Thank you Kenneth, and obviously i missed the orientation, is there any other sort of event going on in the summer?
Welcome Day: http://studentsuccess.mcmast er.ca/...lcome-day.html
Old 07-05-2012 at 07:34 AM   #7
kateharrison

Quote:
firstly, thank you. if i cant get a place to stay in Hamilton, I will probably end up waking up at five and travelling 3 hrs to school. And i will probably end up renting a one bedroom apartment, because i know no body at school
You don't necessarily have to live alone. Look for rooms for rent, where you may share a floor with 3 other people from Mac.

Also, the wait list is based on highschool average, so those with a higher average are placed higher on the list. So if you have a 95% average, i'd say you're golden. But if you're like me, with a mediocre average, start looking for a room. There are tons of postings in the housing forum. Lookup SOCS. Its angroup at Mac that works to help students that do have to live off campus. Either way, I wish you the best of luck, see you in September!
Old 07-05-2012 at 09:27 AM   #8
mmatm

Since I'm entering first year too, I can only answer a few questions x)

Given that I, too, was a wait-listed applicant this year (I was numero 18), I recieved an email from them yesterday that a spot has opened up for me. So, depending on what your number is, you may or may not recieve an email from them within the next few weeks (but I surely hope you do!: )

2. Should I wait?
I asked myself this very question all the time while I was waiting for a spot to open. But I was convinced by upper-years to live on res for first year cause of the experience and whatnot. But just to be on the safe side, you could look up your options in SOCS.

In my opinion it'd be best to split the rent with someone else so it wouldn't hurt your wallet too much. Unless if you can find another first year in your position, chances are, you'll be living with upper years (I could be wrong, I'm just assuming )
But honestly, I'm in your position too, sort of. I don't know anyone going to mac so far but I'm willing to "put myself out there" and meet new people by living with other first years in res. The community is great at mac and I'm sure you'll be able to make new friends in no time

Hope this helps, and I hope you get a space open up soon! Good luck and have a nice summer
Old 07-05-2012 at 09:33 AM   #9
Waynelaw

>Jeremy
THank you, does the welcome day contain similar information you need in the orientation?
>Kate
well i am pretty dead then i guess.. yep thank you, i will definitely lookup the SOCS, see you there. See I am pretty helpless.
Old 07-05-2012 at 09:41 AM   #10
Waynelaw

>Michelle
Oh, I am number 85, chances are even if i have a 95% i don't get to live in campus, yep, thank you so much. This is exactly how I feel, I am totally willing to room with anyone, as long as I can leases my expenses and I can make new friends, ideally. Thank you Michelle, and hope you enjoy your summer.
Old 07-05-2012 at 11:24 AM   #11
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

Quote:
Hi everyone,

2. Should I wait?

I am pretty messed up and would like to hear your precious opinions. Doubtlessly, the longer I hesitate, the lower the chance I can get a place to live. But I am so indecisive and clueless on my next move.
Thank you so much!
When looking for a place to live, dont tell people you are pretty messed up haha just playing good luck in your search
Old 07-05-2012 at 11:24 AM   #12
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

BTW why is a pic of the Joker flagged? Dont see how anyone finds that offensive:S
Old 07-06-2012 at 08:52 PM   #13
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateharrison View Post
You don't necessarily have to live alone. Look for rooms for rent, where you may share a floor with 3 other people from Mac.

Also, the wait list is based on highschool average, so those with a higher average are placed higher on the list. So if you have a 95% average, i'd say you're golden. But if you're like me, with a mediocre average, start looking for a room. There are tons of postings in the housing forum. Lookup SOCS. Its angroup at Mac that works to help students that do have to live off campus. Either way, I wish you the best of luck, see you in September!
This is only true for those who applied by the deadline but didn't make the GPA cutoff to live in residence. For anyone who applied after the deadline, they're put on the wait list in the order they applied, regardless of their GPA.
Old 07-06-2012 at 10:35 PM   #14
Waynelaw

>Lauren
Thank you so much, either way I am done, so I have get connected to the SOCS, and asking some others people for help.