MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Biochemistry Co-op: Course selection and OSAP Questions biochem92 Academics 8 05-26-2013 03:21 PM
Biochemistry (Biomedical Sciences) Co-op Questions Driftking24 Academics 2 05-28-2012 10:16 AM
question about Biochemistry program wjd1dud First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 07-09-2011 08:48 PM
Questions about Core Biochemistry Program AnthraX Academics 2 06-13-2010 03:08 PM
Need Biochemistry Program Description zango Academics 2 08-11-2009 02:44 PM

Questions About the Biochemistry Program

Old 06-12-2013 at 07:36 PM   #1
Farhaan

Liked: Liked 8 Times

Questions About the Biochemistry Program
Hey,

I have a few questions about the Biochemisty (Biomed. Spec):

The biochemistry department's website says that "The Department... is home to an undergraduate program in Biochemistry and another undergraduate program... in Biomedical Sciences. These curricula are administered in the Faculties of Science and Health Science, respectively". Does this mean that the Biochemistry (Biomedical Sciences Specialization) program -the one that first year Science students are admitted to- is administrated by the Faculty of Health Sciences or is this only referring to the Biomedical Sciences Specialization that Bachelor of Health Sciences students can take?

Also, the department's website says that the "Biomedical Sciences Specialization" is no longer being offered to incoming students but a new "Biomedical Research Specialization" is being introduced. I've been accepted to the "Biomed. Spec." but because all biochemistry students take a common second year and start their specializations in their third year does this mean that I would have to switch into the "Biomed. Research Spec." when third year comes around?

Lastly, how competitive (rough idea) are co-op placements for biochemistry?

Thanks,
Farhaan
Old 06-12-2013 at 08:00 PM   #2
omgwtfitsp
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 30 Times

They are getting rid of the two old specializations, Biotech. and Biomed. and replacing it with the new Biomedical Research Specialization. I believe they introduced that this year so who ever is in the old specialization can remain in it if they choose to. Keep in mind the old ones have certain course requirements that the new one does not. The new specialization is more flexible, you can compare the requirements by checking out the new 2013-2014 course calendar. Last year, the students in the old specializations and who were also in co-op automatically got placed into the new specialization, but you can request to go back if you desire. My opinion, make a request to switch into the new one, its much much more flexible in terms of courses you have to take.

And for co-op, its not that hard at all...I think everyone who applied for biochem co-op gets in as long as they can maintain the average required and not bomb the interview, which was fairly relaxed as well. This is probably because there are so little of us who are in the co-op.

Hope this answers your questions
Old 06-12-2013 at 08:07 PM   #3
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

For your first question about administration, the entire biochem program is jointly run between the faculties of health science and science, although undergrad biochem students are considered administratively to be in the faculty of science. Graduate biochem students are considered to be in the faculty of health sciences, and most (if not all) of the biochem profs are as well.
Old 06-12-2013 at 08:08 PM   #4
Farhaan

Liked: Liked 8 Times

Thanks to both of you! That helped quite a bit.
Old 08-30-2013 at 01:34 PM   #5
jalanknd

Liked: 1 Time

I just have to comment on the co-op in biochem, actually alot of the ppl that applied didnt get in. I happen to know quite a few that didnt get in, the reason is the interview. They say that the interview is not that important, but actually it is and those essays that u have to write when applying are important as well.
As for after getting in, u will have to find a job otherwise you wont be able to continue with the co-op and will have to go back to the regular program. I am speaking from experience cause that did happen to me, i wasnt able to get a job
Old 08-30-2013 at 02:08 PM   #6
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalanknd View Post
I just have to comment on the co-op in biochem, actually alot of the ppl that applied didnt get in. I happen to know quite a few that didnt get in, the reason is the interview. They say that the interview is not that important, but actually it is and those essays that u have to write when applying are important as well.
As for after getting in, u will have to find a job otherwise you wont be able to continue with the co-op and will have to go back to the regular program. I am speaking from experience cause that did happen to me, i wasnt able to get a job
Lol who said that the interview isn't important?! It's the most important part! You can get in with mediocre grades, but the interview shows how you would perform on an interview for a co-op position, as well as how you are likely to represent the school. That's what they care about the most.

And yeah, it's really not that easy to get a job - that's why you must say that you're willing to relocate to be accepted into the program. Being in a science co-op program doesn't guarantee you a job, though.