MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster scholarship level 2 redorangez Financial Aid 4 06-30-2010 02:44 PM
mcmaster entrance scholarship - osap muns2 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 07-17-2009 02:40 PM
McMaster Scholarship jhan523 Financial Aid 67 07-13-2009 02:12 PM
McMaster Scholarship & Payment Agreement Lois Academics 2 06-22-2009 04:47 PM

random mcmaster scholarship

Old 08-14-2008 at 02:49 PM   #16
Ivan Q.

Liked: 10 Times

Well it all has to do with the 'freedom' of being away from home for most people.
I lived at home, so my parents were always watching what I was doing... haha
... but even so, your motivation can drop fast especially when you have tons of things to get done and you feel like you've been stuck in over-drive for far too long

Just stay motivated, dedicated and don't get yourself too distracted...
Remember what you're here to do! =)

Last edited by Ivan Q. : 08-14-2008 at 02:51 PM.
Old 08-23-2008 at 12:24 AM   #17
eycc11

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandee08 View Post
do these scholarships count as income? because we have to do taxes next year right?
From what I remember, the tax certificate for the scholarships I received from McMaster (QEII included) was 'mailed' to me at the beginning of tax season. Well, it was in my res mailbox as I was living on res.
Old 08-23-2008 at 12:32 AM   #18
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
yikes..
well you know how they always say your marks drop like 15% in first year lol. but some ppl say thats a myth too.. so we'll juss have to wait and see lol
It's not a myth at all. Most of the entrance scholarships are not renewed for year two.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-23-2008 at 08:42 PM   #19
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Q. View Post
Just stay motivated, dedicated and don't get yourself too distracted...
Remember what you're here to do! =)

Agreed, we all have to take it in has one of the hardest academic years in our life and remember, when we are at classes, its business. I remember hearing that term in the olympics where even if the athletes are way ahead for first place, they aim for the world record and make sure thas done first, before they celebrate, we too should follow that same advice..party hard on april 29, 2009 till sept 09

Old 08-23-2008 at 08:48 PM   #20
amplified

Liked: 0 Times

Bah. Having that scholarship renewed would be the most amazing thing.
But it's going to be incredibly difficult. I'll have to struggle, but I guess thats why I worked this hard to get to university. To really accomplish something.

I think you could get an 80 average if you put your mind to it. Keep the partying on a minimal and organize your time. Shouldn't necessarily mean you lose a social life. You can still have one. Just... contain it, I suppose?
Old 08-23-2008 at 09:43 PM   #21
Quester

Liked: 6 Times

so, would it based on all the courses we take in first year or top 7? b/c i can't remember how our high school average was calculated for this scholarship...
Old 08-24-2008 at 09:38 PM   #22
Holly

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
today when i checked my payment agreement, what used to be a $1000 mcmaster scholarship (for my grades) turned into a $4500 scholarship. i was like what the heck ?! where did that come from?... i'm so confused. i know it can't be a busary because they come out in september right? where is all this money coming from ? :S lol any ideas..?

This happened to me too! I think my jaw dropped to the floor and I was in complete denial... I kept clicking the check box adn then pressing summary... and then unclicking it... just to see if it would still be there... and it was..ahhh

It was Queen Elizabeth Reaching for the Top scholarship.... I totally forgot that I had applied for it when I completed my OSAP application.. so it was a pretty pleasant suprise.
Old 08-24-2008 at 09:47 PM   #23
mandee08

Liked: 1 Time

i think its calculated using your CA (cumulative average)
but i'm not totally sure
Old 08-24-2008 at 09:57 PM   #24
Iman

Liked: 5 Times

From McMaster's Financial Aid site:

Renewal Critera - McMaster's GPA equivalent:
This scholarship is renewable for up to four years, provided that you keep your grades up. To have your scholarship renewed, you must maintain an average of at least 80 per cent, or the equivalent in Grade Point Average (GPA) or letter grades, as determined by your postsecondary institution. You must also continue to be enrolled full-time in an eligible program.
PLEASE NOTE: McMaster University considers a sessional grade point average of 9.5 equivalent to 80% for QEII/Aiming for the Top Renewal purposes.
For more information visit the OSAP OSAP-Aiming for the Top Scholarships online.
Old 08-26-2008 at 12:05 AM   #25
MacEng

Liked: 125 Times

arrrgggg I had a 79.x% average!!!

I would have redone a course if I knew I could have gotten the $3500 :(
Old 08-26-2008 at 12:59 AM   #26
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Omg, that really sucks. Countless number of people get screwed over that way :(