MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First Year Council By Election: Please Vote for Huzaifa Saeed huzaifa47 General Discussion 0 03-17-2009 10:01 PM

Re-Elect^3 Huzaifa Saeed for SRA Social Sciences: April 14th & 15th

Old 03-11-2011 at 02:47 AM   #1
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

Re-Elect^3 Huzaifa Saeed for SRA Social Sciences: April 14th & 15th
I am running for Re-Election to a third term on the SRA Social Sciences caucus as one of your six representatives on the MSU Student Representative Assembly for 2011/2012. I am a third year Political Science & Sociology student minoring in Economics and I have been extensively involved with campus life and specifically with the MSU since I was a first year student.

While the MSU and SRA generate varying and often pessimistic opinions from students, in the past few years I have attempted to combat that with a two tier approach of communication with extensive innovation, research specialization and definitive successes from a project based portfolio.

The MSU for me has been much much more then just a random volunteer opportunity and instead it has something that has become an extensive part of my life and thoughts over the past two years. There is nothing I would desire more then to get re-elected and serve McMaster students in some capacity in the one last chance I have this March.

I think my point is better explained by my brief experience and accomplishment history:

* MSU External Affairs Commissioner May 2010- April 2011
* SRA Social Sciences October 2009- Present*
* MSU Operations Committee May 2009- April 2010
* MSU Bylaws & Procedures Committee January- April 2010
* MSU Executive Board Member September 2010- April 2011
* CASA Bylaws & Policy Committees Member June 2010- April 2011
* OUSA Campus Research Council Member October 2010- April 2011
* McMaster IT Systems Renewal Steering Committee Member December 2010- May 2012: Sole student representative on the committee that will eventually identify best practices for replacement of MUGSI/SOLAR.
* MSU First Year Council: Education & Community Commissioner 2009
*Chief Returning Officer: McMaster Social Sciences Society October 2010- March 2011
* Social Sciences Society: Faculty Welcome Week Rep 2010/2011
*Creator MSU Advocacy Think Tank June 2010- Present

Project History

*Pioneer of the first FYC: Education & Community Survey March 2009- September 2009

* Co-Pioneer of Electronic Voting Research Project with MSU CRO; Research on External & Internal Vendors May 2009- October 2009

* Research, Communication & Lobbying Efforts on Course Registration and Student Information Systems(MUGSI) May 2009- April 2010

* Pioneer and Creator of the SRA Project/Initiative to move towards a Web Based Email System in replacement of MUSS January 2010- November 2010

It eventually led to UTS agreeing to replace MUSS with Google Apps, ETA Summer 2011)

* Convener MSU External Affairs Committee 2010/2011 CASA Review. May 2010- January 2011

*Interview Questionnaire Municipal Election Candidates: October 2010

* Original Research Submission, OUSA Student Success Paper July 2010- March 2011
Specific topics: Collaborative Research Pedagogy and IT Infrastructure funding via deferred maintenance.

* CASA Bylaws Committee: Submission on Press Releases Operating Policy January/February 2011

*Organizer & Co-Conductor: OUSA Access Strategy Focus Groups(October 18th- 29th 2010): The most successful focus groups in the province with the highest turnouts and the only school to host focus groups for Rural, Aboriginal and Low Income students.

* Convener MSU Your City Survey (Feb 14th- 27th 2011): One of the most successful MSU Survey's in recent history with over 850 respondents. Sil coverage here: http://thesil.ca/blog/news/grads-looking-elsewhere/

* Project Manager/Commissioner MSU Research Analysis on Elections Communications Strategies (March 1st- March 27th 2011): An ongoing project that is applying a multidimensional and interdisciplinary research approach to come up with effective engagement strategies for future external elections at McMaster.

You can find more information in the note here: http://www.facebook.com/note.php?not...570624 34351819

I believe through my brief history above I have proven that through my commitment, innovation and flair for educated solutions I have consistently delivered exceptional results and at times substantial involvement in the issues that matter the most to students(eg: starting the email project at the SRA level and developing a knowledge base on student information systems). I have also consistently done so by finding unique ways to engage and communicate with students and using cutting edge technology and social media to my advantage.

Some of you might have noticed a lack of a giant "platform" in departure from norm. I assure you it's not because of a lack of "ideas", I have a strong repository of fully and semi developed ones. Instead it is because I am at crossroads in terms of my potential role within the MSU if re-elected, I am considering and will know by April between being a general SRA member, commissioner or hopefully a successful run for a Board of Director Position. My plan for next year I guess will be reflective of these very different end-paths.

You can vote on March 14th & 15th in Togo Salmon Hall(TSH) Lobby near the TSH 120 Lecture Hall between 9:30AM and 5:00PM.

However very importantly unfortunately I will be representing the MSU & McMaster at the Annual CASA General Meeting in Vancouver during the two polling days, which has drastically put into question my chances of getting re-elected. I would require the help and votes of anyone reading this to even stand a chance.

Please hit attending here:http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=1028754 43129046 if you need a visual reminder!

Thank you!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Last edited by huzaifa47 : 03-11-2011 at 02:53 AM.

alh24, theKING like this.
Old 03-11-2011 at 02:51 AM   #2
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

Also Tl;dr: Running for third year on SRA, 4th year in MSU Government. Ran multiple innovative projects and ideas like starting the MUSS->GMail project, Online Voting, MSU Think Tank, Your City Survey, Elections Engagement Academic Research etc.

Also held Executive Board & External Affairs Commissioner Position, helped directly with research for OUSA & CASA on Education, strong knowledge base.

Also cool guy who likes MI and doesn't afraid of anyone. However attending conference on polling days, much help required for reelection.

kthanksbye

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Last edited by huzaifa47 : 03-11-2011 at 02:57 AM.

alh24 likes this.
Old 03-11-2011 at 07:52 AM   #3
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

I think McMaster needs some new changes and you have been elected twice already, even george bush was only allowed to serve 2 periods. DON'T BE LIKE HUSNI MUBARAK !

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine
Old 03-11-2011 at 01:24 PM   #4
Mr.Prodigy

Liked: 43 Times

Yeah! Or Gaddafi!
Old 03-11-2011 at 03:35 PM   #5
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

I don't understand how can the MSU let people run for more than 2 times. GOD ! even the USA does not let the president run for more than two times.

And to whoever is rating me down ... you suck

Old 03-11-2011 at 03:51 PM   #6
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Étoile View Post
I don't understand how can the MSU let people run for more than 2 times. GOD ! even the USA does not let the president run for more than two times.
I suppose the reason is that the US president has a 4 year term, while an SRA member has a one year term. Furthermore, their power and influence are hardly comparable.
Old 03-11-2011 at 04:03 PM   #7
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by REPLEKIA/. View Post
I suppose the reason is that the US president has a 4 year term, while an SRA member has a one year term. Furthermore, their power and influence are hardly comparable.
Still they should give others a chance that is not fair

Old 03-11-2011 at 04:15 PM   #8
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

I don't understand why you are allowed to run again. A student union should be more diverse, theres nothing diverse about the same person being in the same position for 2 years. This is why i dont like MSU.

L'Étoile likes this.
Old 03-11-2011 at 04:18 PM   #9
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo87 View Post
I don't understand why you are allowed to run again. A student union should be more diverse, theres nothing diverse about the same person being in the same position for 2 years. This is why i dont like MSU.
thank you jo87 this is exactly my point

Old 03-11-2011 at 04:22 PM   #10
Deegs14
Cogito, ergo sum

Liked: 156 Times

Quote:
I think McMaster needs some new changes and you have been elected twice already, even george bush was only allowed to serve 2 periods. DON'T BE LIKE HUSNI MUBARAK !
Why do you even care? You're not even in the Social Sciences faculty.
Anyways, he has been doing a great job so far (besides the new e-mail system, but to my knowledge its a whole lot of other factors impeding this new system coming to McMaster). I'll definitely being voting for him again.

huzaifa47 says thanks to Deegs14 for this post.

Old 03-11-2011 at 04:24 PM   #11
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegs14 View Post
Why do you even care? You're not even in the Social Sciences faculty.
Anyways, he has been doing a great job so far (besides the new e-mail system, but to my knowledge its a whole lot of other factors impeding this new system coming to McMaster). I'll definitely being voting for him again.
Agreed. I've been happy with Huzaifa, so I'll be voting for him again. I don't see why I should be angry with this system - because the MSU isn't preventing a good candidate from running?

huzaifa47 says thanks to alh24 for this post.
Old 03-11-2011 at 04:54 PM   #12
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh24 View Post
Agreed. I've been happy with Huzaifa, so I'll be voting for him again. I don't see why I should be angry with this system - because the MSU isn't preventing a good candidate from running?
People already know him, and I'm sure they will vote for him again and again because he has done a good job. We could give new candidates a chance to contribute to MSU.

alh24, huzaifa47 all say thanks to jo87 for this post.
Old 03-11-2011 at 04:56 PM   #13
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Quote:
Still they should give others a chance that is not fair
You fail to understand democracy...

Last edited by REPLEKIA/. : 03-11-2011 at 04:59 PM.

huzaifa47 says thanks to REPLEKIA/. for this post.

Old 03-11-2011 at 05:01 PM   #14
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo87 View Post
People already know him, and I'm sure they will vote for him again and again because he has done a good job. We could give new candidates a chance to contribute to MSU.
Reasonable. I just think I, personally, would rather stick with someone I know has been doing a good job rather than switching to someone who may not. Sure, they may be a good candidate too - but I know Huzaifa is because he's proven it, which is why I'll vote for him.

I can see the other side, I suppose. Someone else could have a lot to contribute to the MSU and won't get a chance because everyone's aware that Huzaifa is a good person for the role. But that's why I don't have a problem with him running. I don't see the need for someone else to fill his position when he's been doing a good job in it.

huzaifa47 says thanks to alh24 for this post.

~*Sara*~ likes this.
Old 03-11-2011 at 05:12 PM   #15
sf

Liked: 36 Times

I don't understand what the big deal is about him wanting to get re-elected...there are 6 spots available so it's not as if there is no hope for any new people to get elected.

huzaifa47 says thanks to sf for this post.

BlueWave likes this.