Reinstatement gongshow Academics 0 06-20-2010 06:03 PM
reinstatement gongshow Academics 8 06-08-2010 11:44 AM
Reinstatement stressedspec General Discussion 1 06-09-2009 12:39 AM

Reinstatement advice

Old 03-16-2011 at 01:45 AM   #1
JakeWill

Liked: 0 Times

Reinstatement advice
So last year I took a year off from software engineering, My average was 3.83 and so I had to leave the program. Instead of applying right away, I took a year off to start my own software company which is doing pretty well, write a couple of software books, teach a couple of software courses in downtown, speak at conferences and become a trainer for Lynda.com.

Since these are all software releated, my question is if in the reinstatement letter I write all this, and write the reason why I did bad previously was because I got distracted with entrepreneurship, I gave it a try and realized it wasn't for me and now I want to focus on a degree and achieve it. Do I have a good chance of getting back in?

Will the professors take my experience in the year I was away from Mcmaster into account?
Old 03-16-2011 at 10:14 AM   #2
uhedag

Liked: 3 Times

Show us this software company and these two books, and I'll tell you.
Old 03-20-2011 at 07:24 PM   #3
OceanSpray

Professors aren't in charge of reinstatement but I'm sure they'll put in a good word for you.
Old 03-20-2011 at 07:28 PM   #4
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times

This sounds like the making of a good movie.

University dropout makes millions in his business of selling chairs that transform into tables.
Old 03-20-2011 at 07:49 PM   #5
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

OOooo Lynda.com~ I'm learning to use illustrator through a series of their DVDs. They do good stuff.

On topic:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Office of the Registrar
Reinstatement: You are a former McMaster student who was previously ineligible to continue studies at McMaster University. If you wish to apply for Reinstatement, you may obtain a McMaster Reinstatement Request from the Office of the Registrar, Gilmour Hall, Room 108, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, L8S 4L8, (905) 525-4600.
From what I can gather, the office of the registrar does ALL the work for reinstatement, but maybe the form allows for the profs to give some positive input (since the form is not online I don't have it handy to know what's on it/what it entails).

Best way to know for sure is to call the number listed above.

Last edited by REPLEKIA/. : 03-20-2011 at 07:53 PM.
Old 03-20-2011 at 08:57 PM   #6
JakeWill

Hey guys, thanks for the advice and help. I got a PM too by a member and he helped out a lot. For those curious , my name is Faisal Abid and my software company is AndSpot, a patent pending social marketplace for android. Ive also co-authored Flex 3 in action a couple of years ago, and currently working on an Oriley book and something else which is to be published very soon.

I will call the number and also book an appointment with the engineering office. Hope everything works out!

Thanks again.
Old 03-20-2011 at 09:02 PM   #7
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times

Just out of curiosity why are you coming back to Mac, when you seem to be doing quite well for yourself?

(If you dont mind me asking)