MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reinstatement questions reinstate2015 Academics 1 01-02-2015 11:16 AM
Questions Regarding Reinstatement engzheng Academics 3 05-08-2014 05:42 PM
Reinstatement questions student80137y First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 05-31-2013 10:26 PM
Reinstatement, some final questions, :) lifesciman1 Academics 9 06-03-2012 03:52 PM

Reinstatement Questions

Old 10-12-2015 at 11:47 AM   #1
harpreet3366

Liked: 0 Times

Reinstatement Questions
Hello, I am here to gather as much information about the reinstatement process, any tips you may have and etc.

So quick overview I was in commerce 1, failed courses(some required, some not), didnt meet the average to stay in mcmaster either, i did have a lot going on in my life at that time which is why all of this occured.

I was originally planning on applying for reinstatement for the 2015-2016 year but came across an oppurtunity that changed my life. Originally I was planning to attend some summer classes and achieve high grades to prove that I am able to continue in my studies.

What I want to know is what steps I should take over these next 6-8 months to make my reinstatement process go in my favour. I would like to hear from people who have been reinstated in Commerce 1 and what they did to get back in. Furthermore I would like to also hear from those people that were denied, and people who made it back into any other programs. I want to make sure that I am able to get back into school next year as I would like to continue with my studies.

Please feel free to post on this thread or messsage me, any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-14-2015 at 02:41 PM   #2
reinstate2015

Liked: 0 Times

Documentation, documentation, documentation.

I got reinstated by having many pieces of documentation to back up my entire year off and all the changes I made. Take courses? Get transcripts, maybe even a recommendation letter from your professor. Have a medical condition? Get doctor's notes, X-rays, etc. And make sure you acknowledge your mistakes and not blame them on other things, acknowledge them and explain why/how you will fix them.
Old 11-28-2015 at 09:01 PM   #3
Starships2

Liked: 3 Times

Was reinstated to another program but all the reinstatement forms get reviewed by a panel regardless of the program. Documentation is KEY! Any little thing just like the person above said. Even a tiny note from your doctor, add it! Cant find documentation? Get a written testimony from your parents verifying the situation. It isn't enough for you to just say you were sick/depressed or that someone passed away. You need to have evidence! Also it is vital that you do some type of schooling so you can show that you can academically succeed. They want to see that you have time management! Anything above a 8 is ok but if you can get a 10-12 in the course, that'd really help you prove your worth but also will help you reduce your course load when you get back! Also, really work on your letter. Get it edited multiple times. DM me if you have any specific questions !

Kudos likes this.
Old 12-07-2015 at 10:45 AM   #4
mc_kumar

Liked: 13 Times

Being a reinstatement recipient, I'm going to tell you that you have a great chance at being reinstated.

When I was reinstated back in 2010, I had a 3.64/4 CGPA along with a professors recommendation from Seneca College. My letter was a one page summary that was straight to the point.

Good luck and keep working hard!
Old 12-07-2015 at 11:07 AM   #5
mc_kumar

Liked: 13 Times

As long as you write a heartful letter, with documentation of some sort (Either medical/recommendations from work/school), you should be good.

A good letter should consist of

Paragraph 1 - Why you messed up (Medical problems/family problems here)?
Paragraph 2 - What you have done in the time away from McMaster?
Paragraph 3 - What are you going to do different this year (Throw in recommendations in here)

Do not waste McMaster's time with 5 letter pages.

Good Luck!