MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Religious Studies 2C03 Saskia Academics 1 06-04-2011 12:23 AM
Healthst 2H03/ Women St 2H03 / Hth sci 2I03 Vuci Academics 3 05-25-2011 11:36 AM
Religious Studies 1J03 lizziepizzie 1st Year Course Reviews 0 08-29-2010 09:03 PM
Religious Studies ferreinm Academics 9 05-30-2009 07:09 PM

Religious 2h03

Religious 2h03
theory and practice of non-violence
Published by wonderstruck
06-11-2013
Published by

Author review
Overall Rating
80%80%80%
Professor Rating
80%80%80%
Interest
80%80%80%
Easiness
90%90%90%
Average 83%
Religious 2h03

I took this course winter 2012 with Dr. Pearson. I found this course to be pretty easy.
Consisted of tutorials 20%, 2 papers, 1 was 5 pages and other was 7-10 pages which your tutorial teacher marks. And a final exam. I do not remember the weight of the papers and exam.
I will admit that Pearson is a very nice lady but her lectures are rather dry. The papers are structured pretty good. One was your experience of non-violence and the other was using the 2 books.
The exam I felt was very fair. She had us define a 6/12 words or people, some multiple choice and an essay. She gives the essay topics on the last day of class. I loved this class because they are very open to your own thoughts when writing the paper.

AnimeGamer31 says thanks to wonderstruck for this post.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Religious 2h03!

Old 06-14-2013 at 05:18 AM   #2
AnimeGamer31

Liked: 27 Times
Would you recommend this course despite it being dry?

I am very interested in the topics covered but this will be my first course in Humanities. What did you like and dislike about it? I am a bit worried since I am not used to this kind of course.
Old 06-14-2013 at 01:56 PM   #3
wonderstruck

Liked: 4 Times
i would recommend this course. It isnt the material thats dry its the teacher.

The topics she covered were interesting as long as you like hearing about other religions.
I liked the course because in the papers you could use personal reflection as opposed to theories in a book.
One of the assignments was to do an act of non-violence. Being in a protest or movement and you talk about your experiences and relate them to topics shes covered in class.

Maybe it was the time of the day. The class was at 330 mondays and wednesdays and i had already had classes at that time so my own frame of mind of listening was sort of gone.

I found it to be easy. The readings in the book were interesting but the readings in the course ware pack were kind of boring.

Old 06-14-2013 at 01:59 PM   #4
wonderstruck

Liked: 4 Times
Pearson is probably the sweetest prof I've ever met. Shes very passionate about non-violence.
Ive had worse lecturers but this is a laid back course.

Old 12-11-2013 at 02:49 PM   #5
AnimeGamer31

Liked: 27 Times
Overall:I am so glad I took this course. I would agree that the lectures are a bit dry at times but Dr. Pearson had wonderful stories she would share and that made up for it. She also showed videos which were very interesting. We had 2 major assignments. The first one was a reflection paper and we had to change one aspect of our behaviour to nonviolent. So I choose to use nonviolent language for a whole month and I really liked it. Other options were being vegetarian or vegan, or paying attention to consumerism. There were a wide array of options which was great. The second was a research essay in which you went in depth into a topic or you could do a practicum. The course also had weekly tutorials which generated interesting discussions and we all had to do presentations which was about 15 minutes. Finally, there is the exam. She gave some of the topics beforehand to allow you to prepare for them.

Professor Rating: As Janelle noted, Dr. Pearson is very passionate about what she is doing and she really is sweet. She really wants her students to learn and do well.

Interest: I really enjoyed this course. The readings were interesting too. I had a few transformative effects leaving this course and I really noticed how violence was everywhere. I was never religious but I had developed a new appreciation for religion.

Easiness: There were readings every week and it was hard to keep up towards the end. I would strongly recommend trying to keep up with it at least for the first month or so. It helps to reduce the work to prepare for the example. The courseware is quite think so keeping up is very important. I managed to keep up for about 1 month and a half and that was sufficient. There is not a lot of work otherwise. Remember to attend class, she does not post all the slides she shows in class.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search