Religious Studies 3FF3 ferreinm 3rd Year Course Reviews 4 12-19-2011 01:22 PM
Religious Studies 2U03 ferreinm 2nd Year Course Reviews 2 06-29-2011 05:04 PM
Religious Studies ferreinm Academics 9 05-30-2009 07:09 PM

Religious Studies 2W03, 2K03, 3FF3

Old 12-08-2011 at 01:05 AM   #1
bubbly

Liked: 1 Time

Religious Studies 2W03, 2K03, 3FF3
I was thinking of taking some religious studies courses for next semester. Have any of you taken 2W03 (religion and ecology), 2K03 (intro to budhism), or 3FF3 (gender and religion)? If so, how did you guys find the course?
Old 12-08-2011 at 11:57 AM   #2
bieneres

Liked: 2 Times

I took 2W03 last year and I've had Dr. Pearson for two other courses. It is a good class and I find that Dr. Pearson's classes are always really interesting (I believe she teaches the gender one too, but I haven't taken it).

You cover many western and eastern religions, including First Nations, paganism, and new age perspectives as well. At least twice a month we watched an interesting movie in class.

As for assignments there were three short essays (2-3 pages) based on discussion questions in the textbook. You got to choose what week you handed in the assignments so it was pretty flexible. You also got to choose to do either a project, essay, or practicum for the final assignment. you had to submit a proposal for this assignment early on. I don't think there was an exam.
It was a small class with only one tutorial for the whole class. There were no presentations required. Although you had the option of presenting your project to the class if you wished

There was only one textbook, but if i recall it was a bit pricy.

bubbly says thanks to bieneres for this post.
Old 12-08-2011 at 07:42 PM   #3
bubbly

Thanks! Was it easy to get 10+ in this course?
Old 12-08-2011 at 08:01 PM   #4
bieneres

I handed in my final assignment a couple days late and still did fairly well in the class (9). So I wouldn't call the class hard.. but then again I was extremely interested in the class so that may count for something too.
Some things to keep in mind: The assignments require you to critically think about the material and not just summarize the readings. Also, Dr. Pearson is a stickler for grammar and formatting so its easy to get marks deducted if you're not good at proofreading. Attendance in class and tutorial both counted as part of your overall mark.
One more thing to consider is that Dr. Pearson tends to assign a fair bit of readings, so keeping up with them can be a bit tricky. But I found that unless I was doing a short assignment on the readings i could skim.

Old 12-08-2011 at 08:57 PM   #5
bubbly

Thank you! What are the other courses you took with Pearson?
Old 12-08-2011 at 09:35 PM   #6
bieneres

Storytelling in Indian Religions (2I03) and The Indian Religious Tradition (3L03)

bubbly likes this.
Old 12-08-2011 at 09:45 PM   #7
bubbly

OH i wanted to take both those courses!! How did you find those? Did you take it with LaRose?
Old 12-09-2011 at 08:04 AM   #8
bieneres

LaRose?? I'm not sure who that is haha
But I liked both of them! 2I03 was a bit hard to follow sometimes because I had no prior experience with Eastern religions before I took it. But it was neat being introduced to different religious stories. Indian Religious Traditions was more history based but still enjoyable. Both classes made me really interested in Eastern Religions and made me realize I prefer to take these classes over biblical ones.

3L03 also had a lot of assignments and quizzes which might mean that the third year class Pearson teaches next term does too. The work isn't necessarily hard, just difficult to keep up with for just an elective

If you're looking for other religious courses 2N03 is a good one! I had it with Dr. Ross and remember it being pretty easy and also pretty interesting. The end assignment was designing your own funeral lol.

Old 12-09-2011 at 12:57 PM   #9
Phantom

Liked: 48 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by bieneres View Post
LaRose?? I'm not sure who that is haha
But I liked both of them! 2I03 was a bit hard to follow sometimes because I had no prior experience with Eastern religions before I took it. But it was neat being introduced to different religious stories. Indian Religious Traditions was more history based but still enjoyable. Both classes made me really interested in Eastern Religions and made me realize I prefer to take these classes over biblical ones.

3L03 also had a lot of assignments and quizzes which might mean that the third year class Pearson teaches next term does too. The work isn't necessarily hard, just difficult to keep up with for just an elective

If you're looking for other religious courses 2N03 is a good one! I had it with Dr. Ross and remember it being pretty easy and also pretty interesting. The end assignment was designing your own funeral lol.

Hey Bieneres,
Could you help me out as well? Could you tell me some easy 10-12'able third year religious studies courses for electives?

bubbly likes this.
Old 12-09-2011 at 02:18 PM   #10
bieneres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Hey Bieneres,
Could you help me out as well? Could you tell me some easy 10-12'able third year religious studies courses for electives?
I wish I could but 3L03 is the only third year religious studies course that i've taken so far.
Dr. Ross, Dr. Pearson, and Dr. Penner have taught the best religious studies classes i've taken, and i did well in all of them. Maybe you can find a class taught by one of them for 3rd/4th year

bubbly likes this.
Old 12-14-2011 at 03:35 PM   #11
kimzy

No word on relig 3FF3 yet?

bubbly, Phantom like this.
Old 02-24-2012 at 07:46 PM   #12
pmariano

Liked: 0 Times

Hi,
Is anybody taking relig studies 3ff3 term 2 with Dr. Pearson???? Need some help please
Old 02-24-2012 at 07:50 PM   #13
kimzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmariano View Post
Hi,
Is anybody taking relig studies 3ff3 term 2 with Dr. Pearson???? Need some help please
I am taking it you can Inbox Message me