Professor Rating
90%90%90%
Interest
80%80%80%
Easiness
70%70%70%
Average 80%
Religious Studies 3E03

I took this course as a continuation of the RS 2TT3 course. Some of the materials mentioned here were also taught in the 2TT3 course so it would be to your advantage if you've taken that course beforehand. Nonetheless, one of my friends took this course without any previous knowledge of Japan and came away with an amazing mark. The prof is the same one as that of 2TT3, and he is as interesting as usual. He lectures (more like tells a story) while going through various picture/video as visual aid (most of the them was taken by him).

Content:

2 tests - 40%

essay - 20%

Online assignment - 5%

Exam - 35%

The 2 tests consists of definitions, timeline, and quotation identification. I thought the most difficult part of the test was the quotation ID. The online assignment is basically free-marks, as long as you write a paragraph about something that's related to Japanese Religions.

Overall:

The lecturer was great. The course was really interesting. However, this is a level 3 course and will require a substantial amount of effort... it's like a more difficult version of 2TT3. The passage ID was hard, because you had to know which person said what, or which Buddhist sutra mentioned what. But I think its manageable as long as you put in the effort to do it. I'm a Biology major and by no means good at writing essays, but if you're willing to put in the effort, you'll come away with a great mark. I would recommend this class to others, but I would also caution them that its not a bird course-- you need to study, but you will walk away with things learned.

Tips:
  • know your TA. Go to your tutorials. I cannot stress this enough. Your 20% essay is riding on your TA and if he/she knows you've put in the effort, even if you've written a crappy essay, he/she may go easier on you
  • The prof is kind enough to put his course materials on reserve, which I've personally taken advantage of. I've only bought the Sources for Japanese Tradition book and just borrowed the other book from Mills
  • buddy up with people. In this course, the definitions can get overwhelming. Start a compilation as soon as you get the definition list.
  • Make a list of notable books/sutras/people that he mentioned in class and important quotes that they said.
Hope this helps!

kute_lisa88 likes this.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Religious Studies 3E03!

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search