Sfwr Eng 2s03 jp1390 2nd Year Course Reviews 1 05-13-2016 08:02 PM
Sfwr Eng 4J03 Outline damnchevy Introduce Yourself 0 01-07-2016 05:12 PM
Sfwr Eng 2DA4 Abhimint Academics 0 12-09-2012 10:42 AM

SFWR ENG 4J03 Outline

Old 01-07-2016 at 06:02 PM   #1
damnchevy

Liked: 0 Times

SFWR ENG 4J03 Outline
Is anyone taking sfwr eng 4j03 this term, I need the course outline since I'm considering it as a tech elective for Tron.
Thank you
Old 01-07-2016 at 07:12 PM   #2
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

Taking it right now.

The lecturer is a PhD student because the actual prof had to take a break due to personal reasons. From what I understand she won't add us to avenue or whatever until she gets the class list after the drop/add date, so I can't send you the course outline.

Basically the whole course is just signals and transmission, starting with basic AM and going all the way to digital. The components are just midterm and final... and I think a few assignments, same kind of marking scheme as before.

It doesn't seem like it's a bad course, but it's boring as shit. The lectures are at 8:30 and the one on Tuesday is 2 hours long. It doesn't help that the lecturer has the most monotone voice since Contreras either.

Also I thought the course would be a lot more popular, but there's 27 or so people currently (or at least that's what we were told during first lecture).

damnchevy says thanks to GeorgeLucas for this post.
Old 01-08-2016 at 12:33 AM   #3
damnchevy

Liked: 0 Times

8:30 is insane in the cold, does it seem like we need the classes and is there a recommended text? When is the next class so I go see what it's like?
Old 01-08-2016 at 10:15 AM   #4
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnchevy View Post
8:30 is insane in the cold, does it seem like we need the classes and is there a recommended text? When is the next class so I go see what it's like?
She did recommend us a textbook, but like with any engineering class everything is covered in the lectures. But since the website isn't up yet, I can't tell you how useful they will be. The lecturer seems to explain things reasonably well, but like I said her voice is monotone so you will need to force yourself not to fall asleep.

On Tuesday half the class weren't present. So I guess people don't really take it seriously.

Last edited by GeorgeLucas : 01-08-2016 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-08-2016 at 10:45 PM   #5
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

She posted the outline:

Instructor: Dr. Gowri Krishnasamy
ITB/249
Office hours: Tuesdays 10.30am-1.00pm
[email protected]

Lectures: Tuesday 8:30-10:20 AM
Thursday 9:30-10:20 AM
Tutorial: Friday 9:30-10:20 AM

Course objective:
1. Understand the fundamental concepts of communication systems.
2. Understand and compare different analog modulation schemes.
3. Understand and compare different digital modulation schemes.
4. Understand the design tradeoffs and performance of communications systems.
5. Learn about practical communication systems
Course Outcomes:
At the end of the course, the students will be able to:
1. Design Analog communication systems to meet desired needs.
2. Convert analog signals to digital while satisfying certain specs.
3. Evaluate fundamental communication system parameters, such as bandwidth, power, signal to quantization noise ration, and data rate.
4. Understanding practical implementation issues, such as non-ideal filters, non-ideal sampling pulses, aliasing, and intersymbol-interference (ISI)
5. Understand the basics of PAM, QAM, PSK, FSK, and MSK. They can analyze probability of error performance of such systems and are able to design digital communication systems based on these modulation techniques as block diagrams.
6. Understand and are able to analyze equalizers.
7. Students understand the basics of information theory and error correcting codes.
Prerequisites By Topic:
The students are expected to have a background that includes probability
theory, analog and digital signal processing, Fourier transform theory and random processes.

Grading:

Test 1 20 % (March 1st)
Tutorials 20 % (March 20th)
Assignments 20%
Final exam (3 hours) 40%

There will be four assignments in total, your assignment mark will consist of the best three of these. There will be no extensions for assignment due dates.

(The instructor reserves the right to conduct deferred examinations orally.)

Text: Communication Systems, by Simon Haykin, John Wiley &Sons, 4th edition.

Course coverage: For each topic below, the number of lectures is approximate. We will be covering selected topics within each chapter.

1. Introduction and review (3 lectures)
2. Amplitude Modulations and Demodulations (4-5 lectures)
3. Angle Modulation and Demodulation (3 lectures)
4. Sampling and Analog-to-Digital Conversion (4 lectures)
5. Probability and Random Processes (3 lectures)
6. Performance Analysis of Digital Communications Systems (5 lectures)
7. Spread Spectrum Communications (2-3 lectures)
8. Introduction to Information Theory (2 lectures)
9. Error Correcting Codes (5 lectures)
10. ASK,FSK,PSK
11. Additional topics will be added (time permitting) according to class interest.