MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
anyone lived in a single room in moulton before? macbaby07 Moulton Hall Forum 13 07-07-2010 10:28 AM
single room - lonely? nick Residence & Housing 20 05-23-2010 10:11 PM
Double room. thisisje Introduce Yourself 2 05-17-2010 07:46 AM
Single Room saigalhz Residence & Housing 10 06-01-2009 12:15 AM
Single Room-Residence? kenvin100 Residence & Housing 20 05-14-2008 10:59 PM

Single or double room?

Old 05-16-2010 at 10:10 PM   #1
thisisje

Liked: 0 Times

Single or double room?
I am just worried about my situation right now.
I am the only one from my school that is going to Mac this fall and I need an advice if I should get a single or double room.
I heard that it's difficult to get a single room and that you need a 95 average to successfully get one.
I just want to know (to all those who had double room) how was your first year res life at Mac? Specially if you are paired up with someone you don't even know and that you'll live for the whole first year.
Old 05-16-2010 at 10:12 PM   #2
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisje View Post
I am just worried about my situation right now.
I am the only one from my school that is going to Mac this fall and I need an advice if I should get a single or double room.
I heard that it's difficult to get a single room and that you need a 95 average to successfully get one.
I just want to know (to all those who had double room) how was your first year res life at Mac? Specially if you are paired up with someone you don't even know and that you'll live for the whole first year.
Everyone I knew who had a single (or very nearly everyone) didn't have a 95...you just need a 95 to be guaranteed one, I believe.

If you could get a Les Prince single, that would be pretty sweet indeed - own room, and own washroom...

Old 05-16-2010 at 10:15 PM   #3
thisisje

Haha. Hopefully.
How about having a roommate that you don't even know?
Old 05-17-2010 at 12:07 AM   #4
ali999

most people that go into double rooms end up with randoms anyways. Its a little nerve wrecking at first but from my experience, mcmaster is pretty good at matching people up. i was in mckay and in the entire building, i can only think of maybe 2 or 3 people that actually had issues with their roommates. The res staff is also pretty good at working stuff out if needed.
I recommend you go for a double. most people i know that were in a single room ended up basically being hermits and never really got to meet new people. go for the double man...and remember that everyone else there is pretty much in the same position as you are, so its not like you are alone. you'll make friends fast
Old 05-17-2010 at 12:26 AM   #5
IbrahimH

Liked: 13 Times

I think a single room would be a huge mistake for first year, just saying! Double room would be so much better for you in terms of being occupied, making friends, etc. The people that had single rooms that I know of said they were really bored all the time... one of them got depressed, and it was just a bad situation for him, I would say.

If you really want the privacy of a single room and the social atmosphere of a double/triple, then apartment style res at Bates of Keyes would be perfect for you.
Old 05-17-2010 at 12:54 AM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

There are cases where roomates don't get along though. But I think it's just a handful. Just remember to keep an open mind. Like all relationships you'll have to make some sacrifices. If you are stubborn you'll just be in for a rough year. But don't be super lenient either, that won't be fun at all.
Old 05-17-2010 at 12:58 AM   #7
Abid.Hasan

Liked: 86 Times

On my floor most of the people who got randomed together either got along amicably or well enough never to be visibly upset about their situation.

To give you 4 possible scenarios I witnessed:

Dudebro1 and Dudebro2 were a match made in heaven. It was as if they were destined to be roommates.

My roommate and I got along ok. If we weren't roommates we wouldn't have been friends and we aren't friends now but I liked him and he liked me and it was a harmonious year.

My friend didn't like his roommate. He was the weirdest kid on our floor and said and did a lot of awkward and facepalm inducing things. No big deal though, it's not like you sign a contract saying you have to be friends with your roommate and talk to them all the time.

My other friend and his roommate somewhat despised each other. One was kind of a jerk and the other kind of a tightass so they both had good reasons. These 2 thus spent even less time in their room at the same time.

I've heard technically that if you and your roommate are completely at war you can file to have your roommate switched but I've never personally heard of such a case. If you're kind of a tightass that gets really annoyed by things other people consider normal then maybe you should get a single room. But if you(or think you) are a normal person who's just afraid you might get a huge jerk as a roommate then get a double room because the odds are way on your favor that you won't get that huge jerk. Most people are decent people.
Old 05-17-2010 at 01:01 AM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abid.Hasan View Post
On my floor most of the people who got randomed together either got along amicably or well enough never to be visibly upset about their situation.

To give you 4 possible scenarios I witnessed:

Dudebro1 and Dudebro2 were a match made in heaven. It was as if they were destined to be roommates.

My roommate and I got along ok. If we weren't roommates we wouldn't have been friends and we aren't friends now but I liked him and he liked me and it was a harmonious year.

My friend didn't like his roommate. He was the weirdest kid on our floor and said and did a lot of awkward and facepalm inducing things. No big deal though, it's not like you sign a contract saying you have to be friends with your roommate and talk to them all the time.

My other friend and his roommate somewhat despised each other. One was kind of a jerk and the other kind of a tightass so they both had good reasons. These 2 thus spent even less time in their room at the same time.

I've heard technically that if you and your roommate are completely at war you can file to have your roommate switched but I've never personally heard of such a case. If you're kind of a tightass that gets really annoyed by things other people consider normal then maybe you should get a single room. But if you(or think you) are a normal person who's just afraid you might get a huge jerk as a roommate then get a double room because the odds are way on your favor that you won't get that huge jerk. Most people are decent people.
That's true. I got a long with my roommate, but I treated my bedroom like a bedroom; pretty much just for sleep. I would sometimes game in my room while my roommate was gaming or even game together but most of the time I was out of my room hanging out with other floormates.
Old 05-17-2010 at 10:12 AM   #9
thisisje

Thanks guys for the help!

I guess to sum it up:
I'll get a double room because I am a friendly person.
I can actually deal with a lot of people and I have a huge amount of patience.
But yeah, hopefully I get matched with someone similar than me.