MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Cmst 2o03 katrinabell Academics 2 06-26-2009 08:36 AM
Soc Sci 2o03 Canadian Children sj316 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 07-03-2008 03:50 PM

Soc Sci 2O03 - Canadian Children

Published by sinthusized
01-05-2012
Published by
Elite Member

This is a social science course that has been traditionally taught by Dr. Voros. I took this course with Dr. Voros in the fall term of 2011. The course is available as an elective and can also fulfill requirements for the sociology degree. Your mark is broken down into a 50% midterm and a 50% exam which consist of True/False and multiple choice questions.

As with the course calendar,

Quote:
This course deals with a spectrum of issues related to Canadian children such as family, socialization, identity formation, moral development, abuse and strategies for a better future.
We watched some movies in the class and we had Diane Esther, who is a survivor of sexual abuse, as a guest speaker. The teacher also read children's books that challenge norms.

Most of the content was interesting and the course is a memorization type course. I guess I was fine with that as the workload was light. However, I also found the content to be very dated ('contemporary' in this class apparently means from the 90's) and I disagreed with some of the things the prof said. For example, she will talk about how women got the right to vote in 1919 but really, the prof was just talking about white women.

overall, an okay course, good if you have a heavy course load.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Soc Sci 2O03 - Canadian Children!

Old 01-10-2012 at 09:48 PM   #2
hauj12

Liked: 0 Times
i really enjoyed the course with voros....she made the material very interesting
Old 02-27-2012 at 06:31 PM   #3
ekl.20

This was my second time taking a course with Professor Voros, and it was another enjoyable course. I found the material to be interesting, and her lectures are all podcasted. Voros is extremely approachable and obviously has a passion for what she teaches.
Old 12-21-2012 at 07:39 AM   #4
chryslad

Liked: 5 Times
Fall 2012
I took it this past term and it was an okay course. A lot of people complained about Dr. Voros teaching in a very feminist way, with a lot of her material being slanted towards the oppression of women and dominance of men.

I loved that her course was podcasted. She also hasn't changed the course in the past 20 or so years that she's taught it, which was great because I had a friend who had taken it a term prior. I did not buy any of the books, nor did I listen to/attend any of her lectures, and I received a 10 in the course.

I took the course for the 50/50 course load. There's a midterm and exam, both of which are primarily true or false questions. This was the worst part of the course. Her questions were paragraphs, which made it really difficult to answer the questions, as one single word could have made the statement false. The midterm was about 97 true/false, 3 multiple choice. The exam was about 70 true/false, 30 multiple choice.

I wouldn't suggest taking this as a bird course.

Old 12-05-2014 at 06:15 PM   #5
alishamu

if you got a 10 without the textbook or attending lecture, I would consider it an easy course, but the T/F questions do sound kinda hard
Old 06-16-2015 at 02:47 PM   #6
Shivani Patel

Liked: 1 Time
Hello,
I am looking into taking this course this upcoming year as an elective and had a couple of questions if anybody would be able to help out. I have heard mix reviews of this course and was wondering if it is possible to get a 11 or 12. Some people have told me this course is super easy but I am only worried since it is 2 exams worth 50% each. Also, how did you like the course and how is it in terms of workload. Dr. Voros is teaching it this year. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Old 09-15-2015 at 01:39 PM   #7
aquid007

Liked: Liked 2 Times
Hello,

I'm thinking about taking this course this year as well. I was just wondering if anyone would have the actual course outline for the class. I need it to make sure it fulfills a prerequisite for a graduate program. I have tried looking for it online but I can't find it, and I even went to the Social Sciences office but no luck. Would really appreciate some help. Thanks.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search