Professor Rating
100%100%100%
Interest
100%100%100%
Easiness
100%100%100%
Average 100%
Soc Sci 2P03

Also taught by Dr. Voros (Who does 2R03, 2Q03 & 2O03), another extremely interesting course! It's especially interesting because it caters to our generation and direction we're heading towards. A lot of the material is also really easy to remember because, well, they're topics that can be brought up at the dinner table! Actually before the midterm/ exam I'd go pester my roommate and see how many facts I could pester her with before she threw something at me . Again, I'll give a warning: yes, there are times when Dr. Voros may appear to be manbashing, but I never recall her explicitly insulting men.

Course Content

We started with learning about common trends among teens, and how its changed from the 80's until now. We looked at how we compare internationally, how different cultures within canada are coping with adolescence (the inuit for example), how family life impacts growth during adolescence, and how girls are marginalized in the secondary school system. After the midterm, we discussed the effect of consumerism on male adolescents, the goals of our current adolescents and what their view of Canada is, teen sexuality and what parents are doing wrong, sex power & the violent school, abusive relationships, and ended with self esteem. She also posts podcasts for this course, but it was a 3 hour night class, and the podcasts often had poor sound quality. Still do able though.

Mark Breakdown

Same as 2R03. 50% Midterm, I think it was something like 57 T/F, 43 M/C. And again, the T/F is ..her basically pasting a chunk of the notes, and 75% of the time, it was true. And if it was false, it was obvious. Final also 50%, same format, and NON cumulative! And again, written to be finished in 90 min, but given 3 hours for both midterm and final.

The Professor

Dr. Voros is amazing. She cares about her students, and genuinely wants everyone to do well. There's more detail on her in my 2R03 review.

How to do well in this Course:

I'd definitely say this course was even easier than 2R03, only because the content was more easy to relate to. Again, keep up with the podcasts/lectures, make good notes, and give yourself a few days to study before the midterm and final. It's definitely a course to give you a breather on your courseload. But, like any elective, you can't take it too lightly. As long as you do the above, you should get the 11-12 you're looking for .
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Soc Sci 2P03!

Old 08-12-2011 at 03:17 PM   #2
dreamer21

Liked: 69 Times
I'm taking this course in term 2 of the upcoming year and I was wondering if she lectures for the full 3 hours and if it would be possible to still do well if I don't attend the whole class each week (and just listen to the podcasts for the chunk I miss)? I only ask because I've never taken a night class and I commute so by the time I get home it will probably be around 11:30.
Old 08-12-2011 at 04:01 PM   #3
McUsed

Liked: 7 Times
I think giving a 10 in easiness is being overly generous. Although the midterm/exam were multiple choice and true and false, the averages tended to be around the mid 60s. Voros generally uses the full 3 hours of lecture time and crams it with a lot of information. Overall the course is lighter than your typical science course because of the nature of the format...However, don't come into Canadian Adolescence thinking that this is your "bird course".
Old 08-13-2011 at 12:24 AM   #4
dreamer21

Liked: 69 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McUsed View Post
I think giving a 10 in easiness is being overly generous. Although the midterm/exam were multiple choice and true and false, the averages tended to be around the mid 60s. Voros generally uses the full 3 hours of lecture time and crams it with a lot of information. Overall the course is lighter than your typical science course because of the nature of the format...However, don't come into Canadian Adolescence thinking that this is your "bird course".
Okay good to know, thanks for the reply.

Old 08-17-2011 at 01:20 PM   #5
lyb2

Liked: 0 Times
awesome! thanks
Old 09-13-2011 at 07:31 PM   #6
maryam17

Liked: 2 Times
can somebody give me an insight on 2O03? I can't find a course outline anywhere and dont really know much at all about the course...just added it now so ive missed the class this week and the final date add/drop is this friday ..I just want to make sure its managable im in 4th year kin and need a lighter elective
Old 01-03-2012 at 02:22 PM   #7
mr.icecooler

did anyone have it with David Penner? he's teaching it this semester and there are 4 reports worth 60%. are the reports hard?
Old 01-03-2012 at 06:36 PM   #8
saraa09

I just added this course yesterday thinking dr.Voros was gonna teach it. I don't have the course outline yet but are there 4 assignments and exams? I don't want that kind of a course load
Old 01-03-2012 at 07:51 PM   #9
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times
i think this is going to be the first time that david penner will be teaching this course. for those who do not have the course on avenue yet, the mark breakdown is:

Quote:
Method of Evaluation
Reflection Papers: 4 x 15% = 60%
Four times during the course of the term (see Week by Week Outline for Assignment Dates) you will be asked to produce a one single-spaced page reflection on one of four provided questions. The questions will be posted on the Avenue website one week before they are due. Electronic submissions through Avenue are the desired method for your submission of the assignment. The assignment is a reflection paper not a demonstration of your ability to repeat the thoughts of the course instructor. You are asked to provide your own thought. Your own thought is not a long held opinion or a reaction but instead represents your fresh thoughtful consideration of the topic being addressed. You will be graded in relation to the depth of your insight and the clarity with which you express your thought. Brilliance is not expected or demanded. Honest and thoughtful engagement is a prerequisite to a high mark on these assignments.

Final Exam: 40%
The final exam will consist of multiple choice questions testing your ability to both remember and respond to the main themes and points of the course.
- copy and pasted from the outline

saraa09 says thanks to sinthusized for this post.
Old 01-03-2012 at 08:20 PM   #10
saraa09

that doesn't seem too bad. thanks!! could you attach the course outline here or email it to me please? [email protected]
Old 01-03-2012 at 08:36 PM   #11
sinthusized
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saraa09 View Post
that doesn't seem too bad. thanks!! could you attach the course outline here or email it to me please? [email protected]
sure. attached
Attached Files
File Type: doc social sci 2P03.doc (31.5 KB, 162 views)

saraa09 says thanks to sinthusized for this post.
Old 01-04-2012 at 11:58 AM   #12
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 90 Times
so is this course worth taking?
Old 01-04-2012 at 11:37 PM   #13
sinthusized
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity View Post
so is this course worth taking?
Hmm... based on the first lecture, my opinion is yes. He seemed to address the problems with how prof. voros runs the course as with prof voros, it would be a unidirectional, memorization course which was something that previously frustrated me in her other classes. The work load also doesn't seem too bad (To me)
Old 01-05-2012 at 04:01 PM   #14
ah2013

Liked: 1 Time
do any of you know if anyone in the course is dropping soc sci 2p03 because i want to take it but its full ? thanks everyone !
Old 01-04-2013 at 03:35 PM   #15
seharish

Hey, is anyone taking soc sci 2p03 this winter term? and if yes, do you know who the professor is?

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search