Professor Rating
100%100%100%
Interest
90%90%90%
Easiness
100%100%100%
Average 98%
Soc Sci 2R03

I absolutely LOVED this course. I think I especially took a liking to it because I do believe in women equality in the work force..and it was really interesting to learn about a perspective of how exactly the inequality came to be. Now, I'll warn before hand, some of the material you have to take with a grain of salt, and there are times when the prof can appear as if she's man bashing, but I never remember her actually explicitly insulting men.

Course Content:

You start with the history of women and how inequality came to be, then you move into WWI & II and the types of jobs women held during this time, as well as the struggles they faced. I found this part of the course a bit dry at times, but most of the content was pretty interesting. The later half of the course was my favourite. It focused on the idea of the glass ceiling, successful business women in canada, how women take things too personally in the work force, and how corporations are shifting from a top-down corporate model to a community model.

Mark Breakdown:

50% Midterm - consisted of 79 T/F and 21 M/C. The T/F consisted of her writing out..basically a paragraph from the notes lol..and 75% of the time, it was all true. And if it was false, it was obvious. I studied 3-4 days before and had either gone to class or watched the podcasts (that's another bonus...every lecture is posted via podcast on avenue!) she posts, and got in the 85-90 range.
50% Exam: - around the ratio btw m/c & t/f, and NON cumulative!
- both the midterm and exam are written to be finished in an hour and a half..but you're given 3 hours lol.

Professor:

She's SUCH a nice lady, and an excellent lecturer. She goes at a pretty good pace, and is always open to questions. She responds to emails pretty quickly too. My only complaint would be that she tends to be really repetitive sometimes in lecture..though I think she does it to emphasize a point or to make sure we get everything down lol. Either way, she really has the best intentions for her students.

How To Do Well in this Course:

It's actually REALLY easy to well in this course. As long as you make good notes during lecture/while you watch the podcasts, and you KEEP up with the podcasts, and you go through your notes a few days before the midterm, you're guaranteed an 10-12. (more like 11-12, but i say 10 because well..shit happens sometimes in the semester.) You don't really need to buy the courseware, she goes through all the information you need from the articles in class. As the prof said, she tries to make the course as 'user friendly as possible'.

sinthusized says thanks to Mz.Morra13 for this post.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Soc Sci 2R03!

Old 12-22-2010 at 09:40 AM   #2
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times
thanks for the review! I'm taking 2Q03 with the same prof. i was wondering, is it actually necessary to go to class if the lectures are posted on a podcast? I'm just wondering because i do have a commitment that may interfere with the class sometimes

- thanks!
Old 12-22-2010 at 09:49 AM   #3
Mz.Morra13

Liked: 26 Times
Ooh I do too! No you don't have to go, it's just hard sometimes to actually make yourself do the podcast over the weekend. But yeah definitely if you have a conflict, you don't have to do. I'd usually just go once a week lol, except before the midterm .
Old 09-13-2011 at 11:10 AM   #4
mannp6

Liked: 0 Times
easyyyy peasyyyyyy class

Old 11-19-2011 at 10:51 PM   #5
BuzzZero

Liked: 2 Times
I was just wondering what prof did you have teaching it? Also, were there any guys in the class? I am a guy and I was just wondering if it was mainly just girls taking this class. Thanks.
Old 11-21-2011 at 04:02 PM   #6
Richa

Liked: 11 Times
Yeah I just got in the class
Thought the course content was interesting..somethin g i did like to study about!
Who was teaching at that time? Is i the same nice prof?
Thanks for the useful review. Much appreciated

Richa Sud
Hon. Psychology (BSc.) IV

Old 11-25-2011 at 03:46 PM   #7
Richa

Liked: 11 Times
Also another question.
How are the multiple choice and T/F questions? TBH I am more comfortable working on assignments, papers and presentations cuz T/F and MCQs seem so ambiguous at times. :S

Any particular comments on how these are framed? Or is there a sample set of qns that we can look at?

Richa Sud
Hon. Psychology (BSc.) IV

Old 11-28-2011 at 09:47 PM   #8
Mz.Morra13

Nah, no sample questions. Essentially for T/F she'll give a long blurb about some topic lol, about 70% of the time they're true. She gives the type of questions that are very obvious if you've gone to class and taken the time to study. She also clumps her questions into the various topics she covered throughout the term, which I found helpful.
Old 11-30-2011 at 10:46 PM   #9
rcmp1234

Liked: 7 Times
can you do well without going to class? i.e. does her midterm/exam questions come from her lecture notes, or the textbook?
Old 12-01-2011 at 01:09 PM   #10
Mz.Morra13

they come all from her lecture notes, but u have the option of just watching her podcasts instead of going to class.
Old 12-12-2011 at 01:59 PM   #11
bubbly

Liked: 1 Time
i heard that the same prof won't be teaching it next semester. I was wondering if anyone knows who will be teaching this course next semester?
Old 12-14-2011 at 04:06 PM   #12
kimzy

Liked: 48 Times
I noticed that Voros name isnt listed as the prof for this course anymore. I really hope they post who is teaching it soon. Voros is amazing hope the other prof isnt difficult
Old 01-03-2012 at 09:57 PM   #13
soccergirl11

Hey, does anyone know who is teaching this course yet for this term?
Old 01-03-2012 at 10:27 PM   #14
kimzy

Liked: 48 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccergirl11 View Post
Hey, does anyone know who is teaching this course yet for this term?
yes its Dr David Penner
Old 01-04-2012 at 10:16 AM   #15
soccergirl11

Thank You! If you have the course outline for it, do you mind sending it to my email: [email protected] ail.com

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search