MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Social Work 3F03 - social work with groups sinthusized 3rd Year Course Reviews 0 12-10-2011 03:54 PM
getting into social work tooka83 Academics 6 11-20-2011 01:16 PM

Social Work 4X03

Social Work 4X03
Social Work with Families
Published by jamescw1234
04-13-2012
Published by
The Awkward One

Author review
Overall Rating
80%80%80%
Professor Rating
80%80%80%
Interest
80%80%80%
Easiness
60%60%60%
Average 75%
Social Work 4X03

This class is a required class for social work students, you have to have completed or be registered in 3D06/3DD6 to take this class. This class looks at social work practice with families. This is a very difficult class, but extremely interesting class. This is one of the few social work classes where I learned strong applicable skills that I can actually use in practice. We discuss family theories, family practice models and have tutorial where we apply what we learned to a simulated family interview. Sheila Sammon teaches the class, most people know her as the teacher for 3F03 and the field coordinator. She is a really great lecturer and makes class very engaging. She also really knows her stuff about families. It should be noted that she is a very difficult marker, so you really have to put your effort into this class.

Breakdown:
Genogram: 25%
You have to construct a genogram of your family, a family you know well or a family you work with in placement. I would suggest getting software such as genopro for this assignment, but you can also do it by hand. You also have to create a timeline of historical events that may have shaped and impacted the family. Then complete a 2-3 page analysis of the genogram/timeline. It's a very tedious assignment, and I would suggest starting early, like all assignments in this class.

Process Recording: 25%
You can do this with a family from placement or a simulated family. There has to be at least three people in the interview. An audio recording is acceptable unlike the monstrous process recording in 2A06. However, it is expected you go beyond the general interviewing skills in this process recording. So you are not allowed to analyze things such as empathy, reflecting, starting where the client is at, etc. You will need to focus on specific skills related to families learned in class. You have to pick a dialogue, discuss the skill used, reflect on what happened, and discuss what you could have done alternatively. You have to highlight four skills then do a one page analysis of the overall interview.

Final Assignment: 45%
Pick your own family (although this may be emotionally draining), a family you work with or a family from a movie after approval from Sheila (I did Rachel Getting Married) and analyze this family. You have to discuss various theories and concepts and apply them to the family. You also have to look at the family from an AOP lens. This is about 12 pages double space. The second part is a family assessment as if you were doing it for an agency, this is about 3-6 pages double spaced. This is a very long and repetitive assignment and it ruined the movie for me :(

Participation: 5%
This is a very small part, but they make a big deal out of it, you are expected to participate in class (I heard TAs log who puts up their hand, but I don't know if there is truth to that) and in tutorial. Like most social work classes you must attend 80% of this class or receive an automatic F.

Upper year students will warn you about this course. Yes, it is very difficult and draining, but you will learn tons. I also highly suggest to start the assignments early or they will kick you in the butt.

sinthusized says thanks to jamescw1234 for this post.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Social Work 4X03!

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search