MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Social Work/Labour Studies 2BB3 jamescw1234 2nd Year Course Reviews 0 12-23-2010 09:43 AM
LABOUR STUDIES 1A03 or COMMUNICATION STUDIES? lizziemcg First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 08-28-2009 05:43 PM
Social Work and Labour Studies Goce Academics 9 11-11-2008 10:07 PM

Social Work/Labour Studies 2B03

Social Welfare: General Introduction
Published by jamescw1234
04-12-2011
Published by
The Awkward One

Author review
Overall Rating
70%70%70%
Professor Rating
80%80%80%
Interest
50%50%50%
Easiness
60%60%60%
Average 65%

This course is a general introduction to Canada's social welfare system. Social work students have to take this course before starting their field placement. This course is also open to labour studies students. We talk about political theories and economic theories related to the delivery and creation of social welfare and policy. We also discuss issues such as poverty, homelessness, housing, and disability and the government responses related to the issue. The course was taught by Jennie Vengris, she is a sessional prof who also works as a policy analysis for the City of Hamilton.

The material itself is pretty dry, social policy is not the most exciting thing in the world. However, Jennie was able to make things more interesting by taking the policy down to a micro level by discussing how the policy impacts lives of individuals, this made things a little bit more interesting. We also had several guest speakers to share different viewpoints on issues.

Course Breakdown:
In class reflections-10%
In tutorial, there are five reflections worth 2% each based on the readings. These reflections happen unannounced, but it isn't more about what you memorized, but your reactions and thoughts about the readings, it is easy to do well on this.

Group Presentation-15%
In tutorial we are given a case study, and each group has to analyze the case study as if it were in a particular historical period of time. This presentation was easy to do and was roughly 30 minutes.

Group Paper-45%
This was the worst part of the course. We were to use the case study given in tutorial and had to pick a particular issue related to the case, and interview an individual who assists individuals experiencing the issue. This is a 10 page paper, it was very difficult to write a group paper, and could be frustrating. We were to write a paper plan worth 10%, where we outline what we intend to do, and get suggestions from our TA where we can make improvements. The paper itself is worth 25%, there is also a 10% 2-3 page reflection paper about what you learned by doing the assignment, this was done individually.

Take Home Exam-30%
At the end of the term we had a take home exam which consisted of multiple choice, short answer and essay format questions. This was related to material in class, and no research was necessary.

Tutorial-Pass/Fail
You must attend 80% of tutorials or you will receive an automatic fail in the course.

All in all this course is very difficult to make interesting. Luckily Jennie did her best to make sure the material was delivered in an engaging way. However, be prepared to do a lot of group work, so be prepared for that.

sinthusized says thanks to jamescw1234 for this post.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Social Work/Labour Studies 2B03!

Old 05-26-2012 at 08:56 AM   #2
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times
nd
I took this course in Winter 2012... Just some changes in course breakdown

Course Breakdown:
1) In class reflections 4 X 2%
(there was 5 but the last one was cancelled and 2% bonus was awarded for attending the last class)

2) Group Paper Plan = 15%

3) Group Paper = 35%

4) Individual Reflection = 10%
(a reflection of learning from Group paper)

5) Take Home Exam-30%
(Short answer and essay questions based on course material)

I thought I would not like this course because I hated the 2BB3 counterpart in term 1 and also, I thought the material seemed dry. However, as the weeks went on, I came to enjoy it. I particularly liked the theme and discussion on how values influence policy responses to social issues. I thought that jennie, the instructor, was very engaging and I really liked how Jennie addressed and had discussion on controversial topics and comments that were brought forth by the class.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search