MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Anyone taken Soc 2E06 - Race and Ethnic Group Relations? saraa09 Academics 3 05-28-2012 12:18 AM
Soc 2E06 exam sandra Academics 0 04-07-2012 10:36 PM

Sociology 2e06

Sociology 2e06
This is for 2E06 2013-2014 (Samuels, L)
Published by akitae
06-08-2014
Published by

Author review
Overall Rating
80%80%80%
Professor Rating
100%100%100%
Interest
70%70%70%
Easiness
60%60%60%
Average 78%
Sociology 2e06

First and foremost, this is definitely not a bird course. There was no exam for this course only 4-5 mini tests. All her tests for this course were short and long answer.

This class focuses on ethnic relations have been theorized by different theorists. Throughout the course you will read various readings all centered on ethnic groups. Basically its about race. If any of these topics look intriguing, then this course might interest you: racial profiling, ethnic enclaves/slums/ghettos, aboriginal peoples, immigration, racism (employment, education, privilege).

Professor Samuels is one of the best profs I have ever had, she is passionate about her studies. She is well informed in the subject of race and ethnic relations and is very easy going and approachable. She works hard to make things easy to understand and her tests are pretty straightforward. She does not usually have an exam for her courses.

HOWEVER, the course load or weight, whichever you want to call it is HEAVY. We had three requred textbooks/courseware for this course. It was definitely a struggle to keep up with the readings, which ranged from 2-4 every week. That is the biggest downfall of the course, that there are three textbooks and so much to read. The material is a mix-up, some were really interesting and some were so boring I wanted to cry. I'll be honest, I didn't do EVERY reading and I did relatively well in the course. If you do get to see the 2014-2015 course outline and she has lessened the course materials then this course would be great!
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Sociology 2e06!

Old 06-24-2014 at 12:41 PM   #2
wonderstruck

Liked: 4 Times
I took this course as well. Dr. Samuels always gives a heads up as to what long answers she is going to be offering. Go to tutorials its an easy free 10-15% of your final grade. As for the course loads and readings she was talking about. I barely read anything and probably should have applied myself harder but I didnt. I got like 79%. Dr. Samuels is great.... The key for her tests is to make sure you attend the lecture before the test. She will give you a heads up as to what is on her test in terms of long answer. For the first 2 tests she told you what to look for in terms of short answer. But if you look at her power point slides and see what she focused on in readings you could pick out the terms she wanted you to define.
After she would give us the long answer questions then I would go do the readings to be able to get what I needed to write the test.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search