Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honors Sociology Question: Sociology 3H06 tee33 Academics 0 03-24-2010 07:06 PM

Sociology 2U06

Old 08-17-2011 at 06:21 PM   #1
Smithd37

Liked: 4 Times

Sociology 2U06
There is no review for this course so I`m looking for someone to shed some light on it. In other words, did you enjoy it, how was the workload etc?
Old 08-17-2011 at 06:58 PM   #2
gallagaj

Liked: 19 Times

I took this class last year. For starters, here is a course outline.
http://www.sociology.mcmaste r.ca/d...2U06_EN_10.pdf
Id like to say that I really enjoyed this class and found it really easy. Just follow the professors instructions for the assignments and you'll do great. Her instructions are quite thorough and easy to follow to get good marks. The professors lectures were interesting, very similar to the textbook however.
A big chunk of your mark is based on attendance. Both in lecture and tutorial. In lecture participation is done through the i-clicker, and she only required you to be there 75% of the time to get 100% which was really good. The participation in tutorial however was done very poorly. There was a mark for just being there with attendance and then a mark for completing the mini assignment she handed out every 4th or so class. However if you missed a class where the mini assignment was done than you lost 2 marks, and it seemed to lower your mark greatly. So word of advice, ATTEND ALL TUTORIALS. You will however find that tutorials are VERY boring and don't really require you to listen. So bring a laptop to entertain yourself for the hour. In terms of the exams, they were quite easy as long as you listened in class and did the readings you'll do great. I got an 11 in this class really easy and I barley studied.

If you are interested in buying the books used I have both of them (Family Patterns, Gender Relations, and Family Matters.)
Both are in GREAT condition. Just e mail me - [email protected]
If you have any other specific questions about the class feel free to ask!

dreamer21, Smithd37 all say thanks to gallagaj for this post.

Smithd37 likes this.
Old 08-17-2011 at 07:03 PM   #3
Smithd37

Liked: 4 Times

Fantastic thanks for such a prompt and detailed review! I am certain this will be helpful for myself and others. I`d love to purchase the books from you but I already grabbed one from amazon and the other from another individual. Best of luck with your studies!

gallagaj says thanks to Smithd37 for this post.
Old 08-17-2011 at 07:09 PM   #4
gallagaj

Liked: 19 Times

I did notice however that it is not the same professor this year. COLAVECCHIA is this years professor, where as I had Neiterman. Ive never had Colavecchia before so I couldn't tell you how they would go about teaching this class or if the outline of the class is the same.
Old 08-18-2011 at 01:30 AM   #5
dreamer21

Liked: 69 Times

I'm taking this course this year and asked about a review before, but no one responded so thank you! I took Soc 1A06 last year and had Colavecchia and I think she is a fairly good prof and if you follow assignment instructions you'll do well. I had some friends that had Neiterman for 1A06 and I know some of their assignments were different so it will probably be the same for this course as well.

Smithd37 says thanks to dreamer21 for this post.