MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Spanish 1z06 Imranmk93 Academics 1 07-04-2011 07:35 AM
Spanish 1Z06, anyone? YousifK Academics 1 05-28-2011 05:16 PM
TRADE FRENCH 1Z06 for SPANISH 1Z06 PLZZZ Liz.enriquez Academics 0 09-16-2010 05:57 PM
Spanish 1z06 fivedragons First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 07-11-2010 03:49 PM
French 1z06 and Spanish 1z06 (credit confusion) oli13 Academics 1 07-02-2010 04:48 PM

Spanish 1Z06

Spanish 1Z06
Beginner's Intensive
Published by MelRiva11
08-14-2013
Published by

Author review
Overall Rating
90%90%90%
Professor Rating
100%100%100%
Interest
100%100%100%
Easiness
70%70%70%
Average 90%
Spanish 1Z06

I picked up this course after having difficulty with French first year and switching into this course was probably one of the best academic choices I made. Granted, I did have background knowledge in french, I felt that what I learned in one year was equivalent to what I learned in twelve years in elementary and high school french. The title is accurate - this course is intensive. You learn more than ten new verb tenses and there is quite a large vocabulary to learn as well. There is also a small focus on latin cultures around the world.

When I took the course there were about 30 people in the class, more similar to a tutorial than a lecture. Every day the prof would give us about five pages of the textbook to read, which would also include half an hour to an hour of homework. If you actually do the homework ahead of time, class shouldn't be a problem. You could always tell who didn't do their homework, and it is extremely embarrassing if you have to flip through your textbook and try to find an answer in front of everyone.

There were three tests each semester, and a dictado (listening dictation) and written composition that alternated weeks. I personally found the dictations to be easier than the compositions. At the end of first semester there is a final exam, which weight wise is more of a midterm, and then the final exam is in April. the year I took it, the professor took your marks from first and second semester and then averaged them to get your overall mark for the whole year.

I had Professor Pontrelli and she was wonderful. She was strict but in a good way, and I felt her teaching style really helped me learn and stay focused in class. The class moves at a good pace, but if you have a legitimate problem, she will take the time to explain and make sure you understand. It was probably one of my favourite classes in first year. I would really recommend this class for anyone in Humanities or Linguistics/Languages or really anyone who is interested in Spanish.

Melanie
Second Year Cognitive Science of Language
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Spanish 1Z06!

Old 08-20-2013 at 01:07 PM   #2
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 101 Times
I took this course in the summer time. I also like Dr. Pontrelli. She's very nice and she really takes her time to help the students who are struggling in class. I personally don't like the dictados though, it brings down my mark more than the compositions. For some reason, when I do the dictados, you think you here the right word but it is actually spelled wrong...

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search