MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Courses to Take in Spring/Summer AnimeGamer31 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 14 03-25-2012 04:29 PM
Volunteer this summer :) AMAZING experience - INFO SESSIONS NOW gynmac First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 11-10-2010 01:41 AM
Spring/summer Courses nick Academics 5 05-10-2010 01:07 AM
Spring/Summer Sign Up? Deegs14 Academics 9 03-01-2010 02:37 PM
Spring/Summer Term Deegs14 Academics 14 11-09-2009 03:17 PM

spring/summer 2013 sessions ????

Old 06-15-2012 at 12:58 PM   #1
Kevinabrahak

Liked: 8 Times

spring/summer 2013 sessions ????
Is it possible for me to complete ECON LEVEL 2 elective during spring/summer session of 2013?? I couldn't register for the class through SOLAR for 2012/2013 fall/winter session as all of them were occupied. However, I seriously do want to take another ECON for level 2 as my elective.
has anyone done that in the past ???

Where could I know more about the dates and classes offered for spring/summer 2013 sessions !!!!

Last edited by Kevinabrahak : 06-15-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Old 06-15-2012 at 02:35 PM   #2
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

They won't release the dates for a while, but you can assume they'll be similar to this year's dates.
Old 06-15-2012 at 02:41 PM   #3
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

There was another thread earlier today where someone asked about when they'll release the summer 2013 timetable...it won't happen until sometime second term, usually Feb or Mar.

Has anyone done what in the past? I'm not sure what "that" is referring to.
Old 06-15-2012 at 04:47 PM   #4
Kevinabrahak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Fire View Post
They won't release the dates for a while, but you can assume they'll be similar to this year's dates.
well, what i'm trying to ask is, were there any ECON level 2 courses offered during spring/summer session of this year ?? I really want to do an ECON course for my elective and since all classes were full for fall/winter session, i was hoping to do it during spring/summer of 2013, so i could drop my temporary elective( POL SCI 2H03) safely with the certainty that i could complete ECON during summer of next year !!!
Old 06-15-2012 at 05:21 PM   #5
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinabrahak View Post
well, what i'm trying to ask is, were there any ECON level 2 courses offered during spring/summer session of this year ??
According to this:
https://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca /mtt/...res.php?page=1
There are upper year econ courses offered this spring/summer.
Old 06-15-2012 at 05:36 PM   #6
jon.john23
Elite Member

Liked: 130 Times

broken link ____
Old 06-15-2012 at 05:46 PM   #7
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon.john23 View Post
broken link ____
You mean my link?
@ The OP, if you want to see what econ courses were offered this spring/summer do this:
1. Go to this website: https://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca /mtt/index.php
2. Under session choose spring/summer 2012
3. Under subject choose econ-economics
4. Hit "Find" and take a look at the courses offered...they might be offered again next summer.

EDIT: Thanks Jon for pointing it out, didn't know it was broken :/
Old 06-15-2012 at 06:33 PM   #8
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
well, what i'm trying to ask is, were there any ECON level 2 courses offered during spring/summer session of this year ?? I really want to do an ECON course for my elective and since all classes were full for fall/winter session, i was hoping to do it during spring/summer of 2013, so i could drop my temporary elective( POL SCI 2H03) safely with the certainty that i could complete ECON during summer of next year !!!
Just because they were offered this year, does not mean they will be offered next year. You won't get "certainty" until the actual timetable for the session is released, although the department may be able to tell you if a certain course tends to be offered in the summer. Some courses are offered every summer, others aren't.
Why do you need to drop your temporary elective? You could just take a full courseload this year, if the econ course you want is offered in the summer then take it, and then take one less course next year. If it's not offered in the summer, then try to get into it again next year.
Old 06-15-2012 at 07:28 PM   #9
Kevinabrahak

the only reason for me thinking about dropping my temporary elective was because I really had no choice at the time I registered for it as all other electives were full. I'd rather take something I am interested in than take something I have little or no knowledge of whatsoever !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
Why do you need to drop your temporary elective? You could just take a full courseload this year, if the econ course you want is offered in the summer then take it, and then take one less course next year. If it's not offered in the summer, then try to get into it again next year.
By " taking one less course next year", you mean take the course during the summer of the following year (2014) ??? And if I do complete this year with full course load and do the ECON next summer, thats an additional 3 units. !! I am not sure what you exactly meant by that
Old 06-15-2012 at 07:32 PM   #10
Kevinabrahak

thanks jim1, thats what i needed to look at. Taking a look at the courses offered, it seems almost every ECON LEVEL 2 courses besides 3 were offered during spring/summer. I'll probably speak with the department just to make sure how it works for next summer.
Old 06-15-2012 at 08:35 PM   #11
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
the only reason for me thinking about dropping my temporary elective was because I really had no choice at the time I registered for it as all other electives were full. I'd rather take something I am interested in than take something I have little or no knowledge of whatsoever !!

By " taking one less course next year", you mean take the course during the summer of the following year (2014) ??? And if I do complete this year with full course load and do the ECON next summer, thats an additional 3 units. !! I am not sure what you exactly meant by that
No, that's not what I mean, I mean take one less course next fall/winter term.

So you take a full courseload in second year, econ in the summer after second year, and 3 units less in third year. You won't have an additional three units, it's just that instead of taking 3 less units in second year you take them in third year.

If you take three less units in second year and then make it up by taking a course in the summer after, it's still not considered a full course load for second year--course loads are measured by session (ie spring/summer or fall/winter). You would still be considered a full-time student and all that, but it doesn't extend from September-August, only Sept-Apr.

As for any other electives, stuff will open up. Econs will probably open up too.
Old 06-15-2012 at 10:54 PM   #12
Kevinabrahak

Now I seem to better understand what your saying. However, if i do take 3 units less this year ( 2nd year) and make up by taking a course in summer, i would have completed my required units for level 2 (39 unit by completing 3 units course in summer).
This way for level 3, i could take a full course load without needing to drop any courses during the year ( fall/winter 2013) and have a total of 39 units which is what i require for 3rd year same as 2nd year.

In contrary, if i do take a full course load this year, complete another 3 units ( for ECON) during summer, i'll have to take 3 units less for 3rd year, which means i'll have to drop 1 course of the listed courses for my 3rd year programm requirement as I would have extra 3 units that I completed during summer of 2013.

Also, what are the consequences to not having a full course load for a year ( if any ) ?
Old 06-15-2012 at 10:58 PM   #13
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Now I seem to better understand what your saying. However, if i do take 3 units less this year ( 2nd year) and make up by taking a course in summer, i would have completed my required units for level 2 (39 unit by completing 3 units course in summer).
This way for level 3, i could take a full course load without needing to drop any courses during the year ( fall/winter 2013) and have a total of 39 units which is what i require for 3rd year same as 2nd year.

In contrary, if i do take a full course load this year, complete another 3 units ( for ECON) during summer, i'll have to take 3 units less for 3rd year, which means i'll have to drop 1 course of the listed courses for my 3rd year programm requirement as I would have extra 3 units that I completed during summer of 2013.

Also, what are the consequences to not having a full course load for a year ( if any ) ?
Do you have 3 units of electives in third year? because then you would just drop that. Or even if you get 3 units of electives in fourth year and would rather have a reduced courseload then (more time for capstone?) you could take a full courseload third year, and then three units less in fourth.

There can be consequences when applying to professional schools, which shouldn't be a problem for you, since I assume you're not applying to any. I don't know if there are any eng-specific consequences, though I do know several people in eng not taking full courseloads.
Old 06-15-2012 at 11:19 PM   #14
Kevinabrahak

Now it makes even more sense. I do not have electives for third year but I do have for 4th year. Honestly, Im just trying not to overload myself with too many courses this year. i've had a rough 1st year

My concern regarding the fullcourse load was also because i've applied for OSAP this year and I dont really want to have any issues related to not having a full course load for 2nd year that would affect my OSAP in any way !!

I will be done 2nd year by 2013, however, i will be doing my intership at the end of 3rd year. So i guess, it wouldn't be a problem then if I have a full course load during my 3rd year.