Upcoming At Mac Chad ARCHIVES 0 07-05-2007 03:22 PM
Upcoming Schtuff @ Mac Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 03-13-2007 02:19 PM

STATS2B03 Upcoming Midterm

Old 05-21-2010 at 10:01 PM   #1
_Luu_
Elite Member

Liked: 184 Times

STATS2B03 Upcoming Midterm
Now, I've read the course review for the regular session 2b03 with Childs. It says the midterms/class tests are similar to the practice tests in the lab manual; very problem-based.

Since it's a summer course, will that also hold true?

I can do the assignments just fine, but I'm not understanding one single thing in lecture. It's full of theory, and the dude's throwing equations/derivations left, right, and centre without explaining or stating why he's doing that.
Old 05-21-2010 at 10:09 PM   #2
R.L.

Liked: 3 Times

Hey

I am taking Stats 2B03 course right now and I asked Dr. Sarr about the midterm. He said that it is multiple choice (approx. 20-25 questions) and that they will be application type (i.e. require the calculator).

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about his "proofs". He does them for anybody who wants to know why certain things are the way they are.

_Luu_ says thanks to R.L. for this post.
Old 05-21-2010 at 10:20 PM   #3
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

God I hope its not on any of that stuff. I really haven't understood much of the lectures, and I consider myself better than average at math, and I've taken data management in high school and first year Research Methods and Data Analysis.
Old 05-21-2010 at 10:35 PM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

I think the book gives enough information on the theory. The crazy stuff he does in class actually explains the stuff in the book, so it is kind of like extra stuff.

I would suggest reading the book, it's really helpful at learning the material.
Old 05-22-2010 at 12:41 PM   #5
arathbon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I think the book gives enough information on the theory. The crazy stuff he does in class actually explains the stuff in the book, so it is kind of like extra stuff.

I would suggest reading the book, it's really helpful at learning the material.
I do read the book. I just really hope we don't have to answer things on anything outside of it. Honestly, I never understood why people complained about profs until now.
Old 05-22-2010 at 02:13 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathbon View Post
I do read the book. I just really hope we don't have to answer things on anything outside of it. Honestly, I never understood why people complained about profs until now.
He's not that bad of a prof. I think it's more of a language barrier problem. He doesn't pronounce some words properly and other words he actually says in french.
Old 05-22-2010 at 03:27 PM   #7
arathbon
Elite Member

Quote:
He's not that bad of a prof. I think it's more of a language barrier problem. He doesn't pronounce some words properly and other words he actually says in french.
I couldn't tell. I can't hear a thing, especially when he writes on the board. He also seems to assume a lot more background than most people have.
Old 05-22-2010 at 04:16 PM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
I couldn't tell. I can't hear a thing, especially when he writes on the board. He also seems to assume a lot more background than most people have.
Try to sit closer up front, I can hear him fine now and I sit in the 3rd row.

I find that he doesn't assume background information. He keeps on asking the class "Have you learnt this" or "Do you know what this is". Then the class is just dead silent and he goes on to explain it.
Old 05-22-2010 at 04:33 PM   #9
arathbon
Elite Member

Quote:
Try to sit closer up front, I can hear him fine now and I sit in the 3rd row.

I find that he doesn't assume background information. He keeps on asking the class "Have you learnt this" or "Do you know what this is". Then the class is just dead silent and he goes on to explain it.
I sit in the 5th row. I really wish they had a microphone.

I've never noticed him ask the class anything. I think the silence is a symptom of no one hearing the question, because I hear a lot of people talking about that issue. I can get away with some of it, cause I know some stats already, but for example the girl besides me, doesn't seem to get a lot of it, unless I explain it to her during the break.
Old 05-22-2010 at 05:40 PM   #10
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
I sit in the 5th row. I really wish they had a microphone.

I've never noticed him ask the class anything. I think the silence is a symptom of no one hearing the question, because I hear a lot of people talking about that issue. I can get away with some of it, cause I know some stats already, but for example the girl besides me, doesn't seem to get a lot of it, unless I explain it to her during the break.
Really? I always here all his questions, I usually reply with a head nod/shake when/if he looks at me. I'm not one to speak up/ask questions during class.
Old 05-22-2010 at 07:08 PM   #11
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

I find he tends to not assume we know basic calculus (like, how to find the derivative of a polynomial, or what an integral is...) but he does assume we know basic stats. As someone with a decent calculus background and zero stats knowledge, that is really frustrating for me.
Also, I sit in the front row, and I can only catch 70% of what he says. His accent isn't a problem for me, it's mostly that he doesn't face the class and mumbles/talks quietly.

As a side note, does anyone know if we're going to get the Z-score table on the midterm?

I HOPE the test is like the practise midterms in the courseware...those aren't too bad at all!
Old 05-22-2010 at 07:34 PM   #12
arathbon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
I find he tends to not assume we know basic calculus (like, how to find the derivative of a polynomial, or what an integral is...) but he does assume we know basic stats. As someone with a decent calculus background and zero stats knowledge, that is really frustrating for me.
That's what I meant.

Quote:
As a side note, does anyone know if we're going to get the Z-score table on the midterm?
Unless he's absolutely insane. For the record the Z table in our book kinda sucks compared to the one in Statistics for Kinesiology.

Quote:
I HOPE the test is like the practise midterms in the courseware...those aren't too bad at all!
Ditto.