MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What to bring!? Leeoku First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 08-26-2010 08:11 PM
Should I bring my high school stuff? raine First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 08-22-2008 11:38 PM
Do i have to bring this stuff? pinkpony First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 40 08-15-2008 08:34 AM
what to bring to res lorend Residence & Housing 48 08-09-2008 12:21 PM

Stuff I can't Bring.

Old 08-06-2011 at 09:15 PM   #1
davidrivers

Liked: Liked 4 Times

Stuff I can't Bring.
Is their a list of things i'm not allowed to bring or have in my residence?
Old 08-06-2011 at 09:36 PM   #2
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

A fridge... hahahaahaha

(or at least the last I heard)

Old 08-06-2011 at 09:53 PM   #3
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Off head, I know Fridges, Hotplates, candles (or anything with an open flame), and pets (excluding fishes) aren't allowed in res.
Old 08-06-2011 at 10:03 PM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Minor Offences: Pets (not including fish in aquariums or guide dogs for the disabled), beer in glass bottles (should also be noted you can't have open alcohol outside your bedroom or common room), electric frying pans, ovens, microwaves (basically no cooking), halogen lamps, humidifiers, heating elements (except those supplied by Housing Services).

Major Offences: Alcohol if you are under-age, firearms, weapons, explosives/pyrotechnics, illegal drugs, candles, incense, lamps with combustible fuels.

Should probably also read this: http://www.mcmaster.ca/policy/Studen..._Con duct.pdf

RyanC likes this.
Old 08-06-2011 at 10:07 PM   #5
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Personal heaters because they could ignite or burn other things.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 08-06-2011 at 10:20 PM   #6
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

candles are a major ??? I had candles all over my room (I did not light them they were just decor) and my CA would always come over and talk to me and we would chat and not even once they mentioned candles are not allowed.

Plus I had a desk lamp in my room (not the one they provided, I brought my own) and no one mentioned anything ....

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine
Old 08-06-2011 at 10:25 PM   #7
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Étoile View Post
candles are a major ??? I had candles all over my room (I did not light them they were just decor) and my CA would always come over and talk to me and we would chat and not even once they mentioned candles are not allowed.

Plus I had a desk lamp in my room (not the one they provided, I brought my own) and no one mentioned anything ....
Must CAs don't know the rules well and unless it's a really obvious danger, they probably wouldn't think it's an issue
Old 08-06-2011 at 10:31 PM   #8
Theashe

Liked: 29 Times

This link might be useful to you:
http://housing.mcmaster.ca/movin/moveinWQ.pdf

Here are some of the things you should leave at home:
Building materials – you cannot build things in your room
Candles and incense
Cooking appliances – including hot plates and indoor grills. There are microwaves, kettles, toasters, stoves and irons in the kitchenettes for your use (in traditional residences)
Draperies
Halogen lights
Heaters and heat lamps
Large stereos and equipment
Pets – including turtles, iguanas, birds etc. (Fish are acceptable)
Phone – there’s one in your room
Waterbeds, bunk beds and other furniture

Also, be familiar with the residence code of conduct (here's the condensed easy-to-read version):
http://studentconduct.mcmast er.ca/pdf/RCC.pdf
Old 08-06-2011 at 10:35 PM   #9
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

there's no such thing as stuff u can't bring, just dont get caught and make it obvious
however u should just ignore my post and listen to everyone else

Old 08-06-2011 at 11:14 PM   #10
jen-power

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Major Offences: Alcohol if you are under-age
If you are of age, is there a certain amount/limit to how much alcohol you can have in your room?

Last edited by jen-power : 08-07-2011 at 02:46 PM.
Old 08-06-2011 at 11:30 PM   #11
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Étoile View Post

I believe they have to be lit, so unless they look like they have been lit nothing should happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen-power View Post
If you are of age, is there a certain amount/limit to how much alcohol you can have in your room?
You can't have large containers, not sure if there is a limit to the total volume of alcohol. Probably best to read:
http://www.mcmaster.ca/policy/Studen...hol_Policy.pdf
http://www.mcmaster.ca/policy/Studen...20P olicy.pdf

Also, make sure you don't wander the halls when/if you are severely intoxicated. Since it's a residence, the halls are public areas and as such you will be fined for public intoxication.
Old 08-06-2011 at 11:36 PM   #12
yaroslav64

Liked: 26 Times

If you're underage will they come into your room and confiscate all your alcohol?
Old 08-07-2011 at 12:06 AM   #13
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaroslav64 View Post
If you're underage will they come into your room and confiscate all your alcohol?
They can only enter your room if you let them. If they believe an underage person has alcohol then they can call McMaster security (I think it's them) and they will be able to enter your room. You'll get a major and fines.
Old 08-07-2011 at 12:19 AM   #14
terrafirma

Liked: 48 Times

Rice cookers.
Old 08-07-2011 at 03:54 AM   #15
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaroslav64 View Post
Glass apple juice bottles do the trick.