MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LDR: Long Distance Relationships s2ML Dating & Relationships 44 01-09-2013 09:10 PM
Incoming Long Distance mike_302 Computers & Tech 4 10-24-2010 05:39 PM
Religious Studies 2U03 Summer- Help! katherine Academics 1 06-24-2010 09:26 AM
distance education jasmin Academics 2 03-12-2010 07:17 PM
Long distance anubhagat Residence & Housing 1 12-08-2009 11:51 PM

Summer/Distance Studies

Old 03-14-2013 at 01:03 PM   #1
emilyvic77

Liked: 1 Time

Summer/Distance Studies
I'd like to take Math 1LS3 in the summer if possible so I have the background in math in case I decide to change my honours program and need to take a further math (I only have gr11 functions).

The class is offered a Mac two nights a week but I live about two hours from here and will be going home for the summer. Does anyone know if we can take these courses online? Or would it be valid if I took the 1LS3 equivalent at Western, which is only an hour commute that I could do two days a week.

Thanks!
Old 03-14-2013 at 01:32 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyvic77 View Post
I'd like to take Math 1LS3 in the summer if possible so I have the background in math in case I decide to change my honours program and need to take a further math (I only have gr11 functions).

The class is offered a Mac two nights a week but I live about two hours from here and will be going home for the summer. Does anyone know if we can take these courses online? Or would it be valid if I took the 1LS3 equivalent at Western, which is only an hour commute that I could do two days a week.

Thanks!
You'd need to get a letter of permission from your faculty. If you google 'letter of permission mcmaster' or something along those lines there's a whole list of pre-approved courses, so you can check if 1LS3 is there. It's probably offered online through Athabasca but double check that just to make sure. The process for getting a letter of permission and everything are detailed online.
Old 03-14-2013 at 01:42 PM   #3
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

There are a couple threads about this if you look through the forum (a couple were mind) but if you find a list of preapproved courses, it may be on that list. If it is, I would defintley recommend taking it online. I live a 2 hour drive if there is 0 traffic, but taking it online means I finished it during breaks at work and in my days off in the summer in about 3 weeks including all tests, which worked out beautifully.
Old 03-14-2013 at 03:51 PM   #4
Bigmacfatpack

Liked: 13 Times

Yeah you need a Letter Of Permission from your academic deans office.
However for Math 1LS3, I believe GRADE 12 functions (and/or GRADE 12 Calculus) was required, but I;m not too sure, make sure you recheck up on that.
ALSO, it may be easier for you to take a high school summer course for grade 12 instead because it is basically the same thing and it will provide a much better background for you if you so take MATH 1LS3. Because in math 1LS3, we relearn some of grade 12 material and build up on that, BUT without a grade 12 backgroundm it will be very difficult I think for you.
Old 03-14-2013 at 05:21 PM   #5
Sam-I-am

Liked: 1 Time

would it be possible to take two summer courses in the same term even tho they are in conflict. Would solar stop u from registering? and if so, would it be possible for one of the councillors to let u take them anyway...?
Old 03-14-2013 at 05:40 PM   #6
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam-I-am View Post
would it be possible to take two summer courses in the same term even tho they are in conflict. Would solar stop u from registering? and if so, would it be possible for one of the councillors to let u take them anyway...?
Solar still allows you to register, but you should talk to a faculty member since having 2 tests at the same time in your conflicting class is tons of fun. If there is no way around it, basically you go to one or the other, but get to know people in the class in case you miss announcements.

Edit: I have a conflict now and it gave me no trouble, so not sure if summer would be different