MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster Summer School for high school student MacPack First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-04-2010 06:35 PM
Required courses for second year, med school, summer school, etc. kwyhan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 12-26-2009 07:14 PM
Summer School fleenagirl Academics 1 04-29-2009 06:29 PM
Summer School 09! leah.d Academics 5 03-05-2009 11:29 AM
Summer School laffand Academics 13 07-17-2007 11:09 PM

Summer school!!!!

Old 05-27-2007 at 08:38 PM   #1
joset2

Liked: 0 Times

Summer school!!!!
Who said summer school is easier???? I am taking organic chemisrty and physics...all i can say is im suprised that i am alive.!!!!!
Old 06-03-2007 at 05:33 PM   #2
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

Who did say it was easier? lol. When you cram so much material into only a few weeks... I would expect it to be harder to keep up with the amount of work!
Old 06-05-2007 at 02:06 PM   #3
sarahsweet

Liked: 13 Times

yes, summer school is not a piece of cake like people make it out to be. I took a class once for summer school and it is a lot of stuff to cram! you pretty much need to do nothing but studying to keep up for the exam.
Old 06-07-2007 at 03:24 AM   #4
jonphillip

Liked: 2 Times

Well, it's easier for me anyway... cuz I'm taking only 1 course, lol! My elective.
Anyone here taken POLSCI 2I03 (Global Politics) during the fall/winter term? I'd be curious to know how that was, in comparison to me taking it in May/June.
Old 07-10-2007 at 08:23 AM   #5
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

I don't know anyone who has taken POLSCI 2I over the summer, but I would assume it would be more challenging with all the material crammed into a smaller period of time.
Old 07-15-2007 at 09:04 AM   #6
paul
MacInsiders Staff

Joset:
Orgo and Pysics are pretty tough courses. I didn't think they would be much easier in the summer.
BTW: which orgo and physics are you taking?
Old 07-15-2007 at 10:00 AM   #7
joset2

BO3 PHYSICS AND 2OA3 ORGO
Old 07-19-2007 at 01:49 PM   #8
paul
MacInsiders Staff

I took the 3BA3 physics, as opposed to 3BB3 "medical" physics that everyone takes 2nd term, and it was so much better. They are pretty much the same courses, except the 3BA3 is for physics majors and it is taught so much better. The labs are much more interesting, the prof is a lot better, and the class is very small.

I was going to suggest you take 2BA3 orgo and 2BB3, but since you are in the 2OA3 and 2OB3 stream, you should go with that. The alternative 2BA3 orgo is a smaller class, and taugh SO MUCH better. However, as that course has more labs everyone rushes to take 2OA3 instead, despite the fact that the labs are so much better in 2BA3 and you learn many more techniques.

Paul
Old 07-05-2008 at 11:01 PM   #9
hello395

For summer school courses taken at McMaster, do they only give you a COM (if you get a C- or above) or NC (for below a C-)? Or is that only if you do the summer school course(s) at another university?

Also, is Orgo supposed to be really hard in 2nd year at McMaster, because almost every science student seems to take Orgo in summer school. Anyone really think they know why? Because I'm really curious.
Old 07-06-2008 at 12:58 PM   #10
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

you get a COM or NC only when you take summer school at another university. If you take it at mac, you will get a grade !

i already took the two orgos, and i dont' know why people take it in the summer. I guess the main reason is they think its going to be easier and you get more time int he summer to concentrate just on it to do better. I don't think that almost every science student takes orgo in summer, but there are alot of people that do it. The profs are different in the summer, so it all depends on that too.

says thanks to Eva C for this post.
Old 07-06-2008 at 03:01 PM   #11
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

Yeah, like Eva said, the majority take it during the school year at Mac, as evidenced by the multiple sections in large lecture halls. The only thing I've heard consistently regarding summer school orgo is that it's a lot easier if you take it at York. Since a lot of students seem to be from that vicinity anyway, it appears to be a somewhat popular choice - but I'm sure the proportion would still be tiny compared to those taking it at Mac.

The prof you get makes a HUGE difference, too, so be sure to ask around to see who's good and who isn't. Also, I agree with paul about 2BA3 and 2BB3 - these are the orgo courses intended for Chemistry majors, and while they are rumoured to be a little more difficult than 2OA3/20B3 (I doubt anyone would be able to confirm this because they wouldn't have taken both sets!), I think the class size more than makes up for it - you're in a class of 40 instead of 400, and actually can have good interaction with the prof teaching it. When I took it, there were double the number of labs compared to 2OA3/2OB3 (every week instead of every other week), but you do learn a LOT more, and orgo labs aren't that horrible anyway (it's like cooking! :p)

says thanks to Cippi for this post.
Old 08-28-2008 at 06:30 PM   #12
rits

does anyone know for sure what would be better orgo 2OA3 and 2OB3 in the summer or during regular school? just any advise and opnions.

also if you did take in the summer would you be able to handle a job too and all the studing?

oh and for anybody who did take it in the summer, how many hours per day of studying is there?

thanks!