MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster Summer School for high school student MacPack First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-04-2010 06:35 PM
Required courses for second year, med school, summer school, etc. kwyhan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 12-26-2009 07:14 PM
Summer School fleenagirl Academics 1 04-29-2009 06:29 PM
Summer School 09! leah.d Academics 5 03-05-2009 11:29 AM
Summer School laffand Academics 13 07-17-2007 11:09 PM

summer school

Old 12-30-2009 at 09:29 PM   #1
siefer1322

Liked: 96 Times

summer school
If I want to take chemistry 1A03 in summer school does that mean that I will have to take chemistry 1AA3 as well? If this is true, then there does not seem a point in taking it this semester and I should change it. Am I understanding this correctly?
Old 12-30-2009 at 09:36 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by siefer1322 View Post
If I want to take chemistry 1A03 in summer school does that mean that I will have to take chemistry 1AA3 as well? If this is true, then there does not seem a point in taking it this semester and I should change it. Am I understanding this correctly?
They are two separate courses. You can take JUST chem 1A03 in the summer and take chem 1AA3 another time. But you should note that some courses and programs require the completion of chem 1AA3.

That is assuming they will offer it in summer, I think they will... the list comes out sometime in march.
Old 12-30-2009 at 10:39 PM   #3
siefer1322

oh okay, seems that i misunderstood. I will takke 1aa3 this semester and redo 1a03 in summer, thanks for clearing that up.
Old 12-30-2009 at 11:26 PM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
oh okay, seems that i misunderstood. I will takke 1aa3 this semester and redo 1a03 in summer, thanks for clearing that up.
You should note that retaking a course doesn't mean that the grade will replace the other. All grades are taken into account when calculating your average. So if you took two Chem 1A03, both will be part of your average.

So unless you are taking Chem 1A03 to strengthen your understanding of the material, there is really no point in retaking it. You might as well take an elective to boost your mark.
Old 12-31-2009 at 11:15 AM   #5
Tleilaxu

Liked: 10 Times

As long as you have passed Chem 1A03 you can take Chem 1AA3 in the second term, if you did not pass Chem 1A03 then you'll have to take Chem 1A03 and Chem 1AA3 in the summer because Chem 1A03 is a prerequisite for Chem 1AA3.
Old 12-31-2009 at 02:03 PM   #6
siefer1322

Okay, I see your point. If I just want to boost up my GPA, its better to take an elective than redoing a class I did poorly in. So if I do want to take an elective, is there any rules about having too many course credits or anything? Since i already have 15 credits each semester?
Old 12-31-2009 at 02:14 PM   #7
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Okay, I see your point. If I just want to boost up my GPA, its better to take an elective than redoing a class I did poorly in. So if I do want to take an elective, is there any rules about having too many course credits or anything? Since i already have 15 credits each semester?
You can take as many courses as you want as long as you satisfy all the requirements of your program.
Old 12-31-2009 at 08:37 PM   #8
sdhami

Liked: 1 Time

Hi, I was just looking at the courses that york university had to offer and I realised that some of the courses that I plan on taking in the summer are 6 units. I was wondering how long I would be taking that course for? Would it be the entire summer, or just until the end of June? Thanks.
Old 12-31-2009 at 09:52 PM   #9
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhami View Post
Hi, I was just looking at the courses that york university had to offer and I realised that some of the courses that I plan on taking in the summer are 6 units. I was wondering how long I would be taking that course for? Would it be the entire summer, or just until the end of June? Thanks.
It will be the entire summer.
Old 01-03-2010 at 08:26 AM   #10
usman_4_9

Liked: 0 Times

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /regis...sessional.html

If you scroll to the bottom, it says there that Term 3 (full year course) starts on May 3, and ends on August 6.
Old 01-03-2010 at 01:03 PM   #11
sdhami

Liked: 1 Time

Thanks guys.
Old 01-15-2010 at 06:07 PM   #12
lifesci09

Liked: 2 Times

hey so i gotta take chem in the summer as well but now im not sure if i should take it at mac or utm or york. what do you guys think?
Old 01-15-2010 at 06:23 PM   #13
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesci09 View Post
hey so i gotta take chem in the summer as well but now im not sure if i should take it at mac or utm or york. what do you guys think?
things to consider
- where you are living
- how you will get to school
- how much the two above will cost
- which has the cheaper courses
- start/end dates for courses
- if courses at other schools are equivalent
- if you need the courses for your average

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 01-15-2010 at 09:43 PM   #14
Stan

If you decide to take it at another school, remember that you need to get at least a 6 (don't quite remember if this is the mark) in order for it to qualify as a credit at mac as well as that the courses are the same and approved by mac. I would talk to the academic advisor to find out more information and perhaps a direction to take.
Old 01-16-2010 at 01:14 PM   #15
Tleilaxu

I would also advise you to remember that when you are taking it at a different University the learning styel may infact be different and it may not be what you were use to at Mac, so think about that as well when deciding on courses outside of Mac.