MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kinesiology I UH2010 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 12-31-2010 03:01 PM
Switching to Kinesiology from Commerce andrewjdg First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 08-02-2010 02:54 PM
Kinesiology hello395 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 08-17-2008 05:02 PM
kinesiology shreya s. First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 06-26-2008 05:14 PM

switching into kinesiology

Old 02-10-2011 at 08:41 PM   #1
sana.banana

Liked: 0 Times

switching into kinesiology
Hi everybody,
I am in first year life sci with a dream of ending up in med school after 4 years (like many other first years ).
I want to switch into Kinesiology. On the website, first years have to take 6 mandatory courses (i have taken 2, and was thinking of taking the other 4 over the summer). but before i think of doing that, is it possible for me to switch into kin?

and this might be a dumb question, but when u switch into a different program, how is ur gpa calculated? are the courses u took in the previous program (life sci) considered as electives? or a new gpa is calculated???

I wish i had applied for the kin program in high school, i could have so easily got in, but meh
Old 02-10-2011 at 09:22 PM   #2
Jamalf

Liked: 49 Times

i doubt kin courses are offered in the summer, so you have to switch into kin in septemeber and basically be in 1st year all over again
Old 02-10-2011 at 09:25 PM   #3
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

I'm pretty sure you'd have to repeat first year with the exception of courses that are anti-requisites which you've already done. I think Bio and Math would be the same. But other than that, you don't have any of the required courses and the Kin courses (that I know of) are not offered in the summer, so you would have to start in first year Kin in September. I would go to the Kin department to ask though, or to the Associate Dean's office (BSB-129)
Old 02-10-2011 at 09:32 PM   #4
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

One of my best friends switched in. Basically you'll have access to all the first and second year Kin courses. As far as I know your 8 courses that weren't kin are now electives. Keep in mind that if you haven't taken Math 1LS3 or 1A03 you need to take it next year. I'd also advise taking Stats 2B03 this summer to get the Stats requirement for Kin over with.

You have to fill out this form to transfer. I also strongly recommend you contact Dr. Hicks, the associate chair for undergraduate studies in the Kinesiology department. She's nice and can provide you with the information you need.

sana.banana, ~*Sara*~ all say thanks to arathbon for this post.
Old 02-10-2011 at 09:40 PM   #5
andrewjdg

Liked: 30 Times

What? I'm confused. I spoke with Rita Campbell and she said I didn't need any courses when I switched. Basically, she said the 2 kin';s 1y03/1yy3 (I think) would come in handy, but are not mandatory. She also said Bio 1a03/1m03 were required/helpful. Can't remember, but I'm taking them anyway. @OP What's your GPA btw?
Old 02-10-2011 at 10:31 PM   #6
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathbon View Post
One of my best friends switched in. Basically you'll have access to all the first and second year Kin courses. As far as I know your 8 courses that weren't kin are now electives. Keep in mind that if you haven't taken Math 1LS3 or 1A03 you need to take it next year. I'd also advise taking Stats 2B03 this summer to get the Stats requirement for Kin over with.

You have to fill out this form to transfer. I also strongly recommend you contact Dr. Hicks, the associate chair for undergraduate studies in the Kinesiology department. She's nice and can provide you with the information you need.
Oh good to know. I though it was a lot more complicated than that!