MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Switching from Life Sci to Med Rad after 2nd year vvndn Academics 5 07-12-2012 04:08 PM
switching from life sci to neurosci dkqjwl Academics 0 08-15-2011 04:25 PM
Switching from Business to Life Sci? sayok8737 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 02-28-2011 05:21 PM
Switching from Life sci to Mol bio and genetics Prabh Academics 12 06-17-2010 05:07 PM
Switching from Engineering I to Life Sci TedMosby General Discussion 12 12-03-2009 08:16 PM

Switching to life sci?

Old 06-20-2014 at 11:36 PM   #1
amyh237

Liked: 0 Times

Switching to life sci?
I applied to life sci but my average was like 0.75% below the cut off and my school doesn't do any bumping up if we require it, so I decided to accept Mac for humanities (alternate offer from artsci) instead (which now that I think of it, is slightly risky because I got into life sci for all the other schools I applied for but I really wanted to go to Mac), but would it at all, in anyway be possible, to transfer to Life Sci level 2 for second year?

This is if I do first year humanities (only need to take 12 units from humanities, then all the rest are electives) and choose all my electives to cover life sci reqs (I know that I won't get a good majority of courses since they're restricted to faculty of science), and did both terms of summer school (to do the courses I was unable to take during regular school year), would I be able to transfer to life sci for year 2? Without having to repeat first year? I was told by some admissions people I talked to at Mac that it would be possible but now that course selection is coming around I began to look at potential courses I could take and noticed a lot were restricted to only science students (bio 1A03, chem etc).

Any help on how to go about this would be much appreciated!

By the way, here are the courses I am hopefully planning on taking first year
1. CLA 1B03
2. CLA 1M03
3. PHILOS 1C03
4. ENGLISH (short/long genre)
5. BIO 1M03
6. PHYSICS 1L03
7. PSYCH 1X03 (or MATH 1LT3)
8. MATH 1LS3
9. ASTRON 1F03
10. PSYCH 1XX3

Summer:
1. BIO 1A03
2. CHEM 1A03
3. CHEM 1AA3

Also can anyone tell me the probability of me getting the science courses? I heard it's hard to get seats in those if you're not in science (I don't have a problem with taking the equivalent courses i.e. math 1A03 instead of 1LS3

Last edited by amyh237 : 06-20-2014 at 11:46 PM. Reason: adding course details
Old 06-21-2014 at 12:36 AM   #2
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

yes its easy to transfer and yes some courses you may not be able to take until summer. i dont know why you want to switch to life sci. if you get a high gpa in humanities/soc sci, stay in it. life sci is a general degree
Old 06-21-2014 at 12:49 AM   #3
amyh237

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
yes its easy to transfer and yes some courses you may not be able to take until summer. i dont know why you want to switch to life sci. if you get a high gpa in humanities/soc sci, stay in it. life sci is a general degree

I know that essentially all bachelors degrees are worthless but I want to go into the research field in science and at the moment I'm specifically interested in PNB (though that might change) but thank you for your help! Really appreciate your response.
Old 06-21-2014 at 01:34 AM   #4
Phoneup

Liked: 43 Times

Just take many science courses and that will show that you have genuine interest. It will set you apart from the MANY other life scis.
Old 06-21-2014 at 03:51 AM   #5
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyh237 View Post
I know that essentially all bachelors degrees are worthless but I want to go into the research field in science and at the moment I'm specifically interested in PNB (though that might change) but thank you for your help! Really appreciate your response.
Then why not switch directly into PNB in second year or apply to PNB from Humanities? I have a friend who did a double major in English and PNB and she was in humanities. As Silver said, life science is very general. It will be very competitive to get the kind of research experience you're looking for if you're not in a more specialized program. Specialized programs have smaller class sizes and more opportunities to get to know your profs, which can help you land research opportunities. They also sometimes have research built-in in the form of lab courses, as PNB does in 3rd year.
Old 06-21-2014 at 04:55 AM   #6
topkek

Liked: 23 Times

Quote:
I know that essentially all bachelor of arts degrees are worthless but I want to go into the research field in science and at the moment I'm specifically interested in PNB (though that might change) but thank you for your help! Really appreciate your response.
ftfy.
Old 06-21-2014 at 01:06 PM   #7
cudizOne

Liked: 2 Times

Hey! I went through almost the exact same thing.. My average was barely 0.5% off the cutoff and I didn't get into life sciences. I had gotten into life sciences at other schools but my heart was set on Mac for whatever reason. Looking back, I wish I had applied to other science programs here or gone to a different school, but if you really want to go to McMaster no matter what and switch second year it is totally possible!
I got into social sciences and did the 12 unit thing based on their requirements and took all science courses for my electives. If you want to go into PNB for science here is what I suggest:

4 Humanities courses of your choice
Psych 1X03
Psych 1XX3
Math 1LS3
Bio 1M03
Chem 1A03
Chem 1AA3
Summer School: Bio 1A03, Physics 1B03 or 1L03

For me, both psychs counted towards my social sciences requirements so I was a little bit lucky in that sense I didn't have to take 2 summer school courses, but it is doable I know a lot of people who have gone that route.
Just so you know, for PNB both chemistry courses are not necessary, but to me it sounds like you want to keep your options open for second year so I would suggest taking both. As well, you have the option between Physics 1B03 or 1L03. 1B03 is A LOT harder but it gives your more options later because some schools want a physics credit with labs whereas 1L03 does not have labs. Though that is mostly a med school thing.
Overall, just work hard! Remembering how you felt when you didn't get into life sciences is really good motivation so hold onto that. For me, I can now look at it as a really positive thing because I got to take courses I wouldn't have otherwise taken had I been in life sci from the start. This is a really good opportunity to find other things that you are good at and that interest you
Good Luck!!
Old 06-21-2014 at 01:30 PM   #8
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:

This is if I do first year humanities (only need to take 12 units from humanities, then all the rest are electives) and choose all my electives to cover life sci reqs (I know that I won't get a good majority of courses since they're restricted to faculty of science), and did both terms of summer school (to do the courses I was unable to take during regular school year), would I be able to transfer to life sci for year 2? Without having to repeat first year? I was told by some admissions people I talked to at Mac that it would be possible but now that course selection is coming around I began to look at potential courses I could take and noticed a lot were restricted to only science students (bio 1A03, chem etc).
If you got >80% in grade 12 chemistry, then you can take it regardless of the program you are in. You don't need to leave it until the summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cudizOne View Post
Just so you know, for PNB both chemistry courses are not necessary, but to me it sounds like you want to keep your options open for second year so I would suggest taking both. As well, you have the option between Physics 1B03 or 1L03. 1B03 is A LOT harder but it gives your more options later because some schools want a physics credit with labs whereas 1L03 does not have labs. Though that is mostly a med school thing.
Plenty of people found 1B03 and 1L03 to be similar in terms of difficulty. The labs were not at all time consuming or difficult, either - much less than chem or bio labs.

Besides, they're changing the first-year physics courses anyways, so now physical science students take a different one, and 1B03 will likely be changed as well. So, anything anybody says about how it has been in the past should be taken with a grain of salt.

Anyways, just look at the second-year programs you want to go into and make sure you get the prereqs for it. That's the most important thing. Everybody starts general in first year and then can choose a major at the end of first year, to start in second year. So just make sure you have the prereqs and you'll be fine.
Old 06-21-2014 at 02:57 PM   #9
Phoneup

Liked: 43 Times

Honestly, since when is life sci so 'desired'? Life sci degrees are just as worthless as BAs. You folks need to realize that.
Old 06-22-2014 at 07:36 PM   #10
amyh237

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooburii View Post
Then why not switch directly into PNB in second year or apply to PNB from Humanities? I have a friend who did a double major in English and PNB and she was in humanities. As Silver said, life science is very general. It will be very competitive to get the kind of research experience you're looking for if you're not in a more specialized program. Specialized programs have smaller class sizes and more opportunities to get to know your profs, which can help you land research opportunities. They also sometimes have research built-in in the form of lab courses, as PNB does in 3rd year.

What do you mean by specialized program? Like the majors? If so, what would you recommend?
Old 06-22-2014 at 07:37 PM   #11
amyh237

Quote:
Hey! I went through almost the exact same thing.. My average was barely 0.5% off the cutoff and I didn't get into life sciences. I had gotten into life sciences at other schools but my heart was set on Mac for whatever reason. Looking back, I wish I had applied to other science programs here or gone to a different school, but if you really want to go to McMaster no matter what and switch second year it is totally possible!
I got into social sciences and did the 12 unit thing based on their requirements and took all science courses for my electives. If you want to go into PNB for science here is what I suggest:

4 Humanities courses of your choice
Psych 1X03
Psych 1XX3
Math 1LS3
Bio 1M03
Chem 1A03
Chem 1AA3
Summer School: Bio 1A03, Physics 1B03 or 1L03

For me, both psychs counted towards my social sciences requirements so I was a little bit lucky in that sense I didn't have to take 2 summer school courses, but it is doable I know a lot of people who have gone that route.
Overall, just work hard! Remembering how you felt when you didn't get into life sciences is really good motivation so hold onto that. For me, I can now look at it as a really positive thing because I got to take courses I wouldn't have otherwise taken had I been in life sci from the start. This is a really good opportunity to find other things that you are good at and that interest you
Good Luck!!
Chem was actually the reason my average was dragged down :( Got a 78 so I can't take 1A03 since it's not >80%. What would you recommend in place (that's why I was going to do the physics courses)
Old 06-22-2014 at 09:15 PM   #12
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
What do you mean by specialized program? Like the majors? If so, what would you recommend?
I mean essentially any upper year science program that isn't life science, ex. chembio, biopsych, pnb, etc.. Each program differs of course, so you should decide on the program that you are most interested in once you look at what kind of courses they have. It's always good to talk to upper year students about their experience in the program to see if it's the right fit for you.

it's not to say that life science students can't get research experience at all, it's just more difficult compared to smaller science programs where students get to know their profs. and
Old 06-22-2014 at 09:31 PM   #13
amyh237

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooburii View Post
I mean essentially any upper year science program that isn't life science, ex. chembio, biopsych, pnb, etc.. Each program differs of course, so you should decide on the program that you are most interested in once you look at what kind of courses they have. It's always good to talk to upper year students about their experience in the program to see if it's the right fit for you.

it's not to say that life science students can't get research experience at all, it's just more difficult compared to smaller science programs where students get to know their profs. and
Oh ok that makes sense, I was hoping to specialize regardless. What happens if I want to apply for PNB for BSc and not BA but don't have the required chem course? I think chem and bio 1A03 is required from what I read, but I won't be able to take that course until the summer since I'm not in life sci (and I got a 78% in 12U chem which is what brought my average down and I can't take chem 1A03 since I don't have >80%). I heard that the time when they consider you for majors is before June in first year; is there another time of year they admit students into majors?
Old 06-22-2014 at 11:26 PM   #14
cudizOne

Liked: 2 Times

Hi again!
I haven't heard about the new physics so I can't tell you anything about it, but from personal experience, between 1L03 and 1B03, I found 1B03 to be a lot more difficult, as did a lot of people I know. But I've always been pretty bad at physics:(. Hopefully they make 1B03 easier for you guys. In terms of labs, I found them to be easy but time consuming because you have to get a TA to check your work every step of the way.
If chem isn't a strength of yours I would just stick with the list you have now and only take Bio 1A03 and Chem 1A03 in summer school, since you wouldn't really need Chem 1AA3 for PNB.
They do admit students after summer school marks come in or deferred exams are completed, but if you want to get into a limited enrollment course like PNB, priority is given to the people that had all the requirements by May. When the time comes to pick level 2 programs, you should apply to both the science and arts PNB because they are essentially the same, and that way even if you don't get into the BSc PNB you take the same courses with the BA PNB and can transfer over to the BSc one in third year.
Old 06-23-2014 at 10:01 AM   #15
amyh237

Quote:
Hi again!
I haven't heard about the new physics so I can't tell you anything about it, but from personal experience, between 1L03 and 1B03, I found 1B03 to be a lot more difficult, as did a lot of people I know. But I've always been pretty bad at physics:(. Hopefully they make 1B03 easier for you guys. In terms of labs, I found them to be easy but time consuming because you have to get a TA to check your work every step of the way.
If chem isn't a strength of yours I would just stick with the list you have now and only take Bio 1A03 and Chem 1A03 in summer school, since you wouldn't really need Chem 1AA3 for PNB.
They do admit students after summer school marks come in or deferred exams are completed, but if you want to get into a limited enrollment course like PNB, priority is given to the people that had all the requirements by May. When the time comes to pick level 2 programs, you should apply to both the science and arts PNB because they are essentially the same, and that way even if you don't get into the BSc PNB you take the same courses with the BA PNB and can transfer over to the BSc one in third year.
I've heard the physics courses were kind of difficult too, but I really don't wanna push it off to second year (or the summer) because I'm already going to be a bit behind so I might as well try doing it first year I guess.

Do you by chance know the admittance average/amount of students they take for PNB BSc? Most of the major pages that provide required courses and stuff usually say a GPA of 6.0 but I'm sure they'd expect people to have higher ones to be considered competitive. And I'm assuming (because of what you said) that you're allowed to apply for more than one major? Thank you so much for your help I really appreciate it!!