MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tablet - useful? Or just shiny? dmok Computers & Tech 46 09-07-2012 01:48 PM
Need a new tablet amigojoe General Discussion 1 07-14-2011 03:40 PM
The Kno Tablet Chad MacInsiders Announcements 16 11-12-2010 09:36 PM
The New Blackberry Tablet Chad MacInsiders Announcements 10 10-02-2010 09:58 AM
Which tablet... Zuchowski First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-19-2010 11:06 AM

Tablet Question

Old 12-15-2012 at 01:11 PM   #1
JPhan

Liked: 0 Times

Tablet Question
Hello beloved people of Mac,

I have a question for you technologically and common-sense inclined people . Here's the dilemma. I was thinking of getting the 32gb BB Playbook for $150 (even less on Boxing Day!) with the eager thought of getting the new BB10 OS update. The idea was that I would use that tablet as an eTextbook and in doing this, I would breakeven from the money I saved not buying physical textbooks. Personally, constantly switching windows from lectures/textbooks to work is a major annoyance. This was my plan but the more I think about it, the more my frugal nature comes out. So I need your opinions as third-party people and/or tablet owners. What are your experiences with tablets? I know that they're more portable than laptops for sure.

On a side note, how would the Playbook work with my Android phone (GS3), would I run into problems such as constantly have to answer my email twice (on my phone and Playbook)?

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-15-2012 at 01:25 PM   #2
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times

A tablet can do much more than just hold ebooks, so you might as well get something fuctional. Android has alot more apps, and if you already have an android phone you'll love getting an android tablet. My tablet syncs my gmail and my calendar over, and any apps which I have on both that i sign in using my gmail account, everything gets synced so its really funtional.

If youre already used to the way android works (especially on the GS3) you'll know all the ins and outs of an android tablet.

Plus the google nexus 7 is about $200 for 16GB now i think, probably worth it over blackberry.

JPhan likes this.
Old 12-15-2012 at 01:38 PM   #3
Allan
Elite Member

Liked: 115 Times

Just as Melanieee said, no point getting a Playbook if you have an Android phone. Android has way more Apps, and the platform is here to stay for the foreseeable future. BB10 is still a gamble, and won't have the same amount of apps for a very long time, if ever.

I wouldn't even want a Playbook if someone gave it to me for free. There's a reason why they're so cheap. Nexus 7 is definitely a great suggestion if you're on a budget (and if you don't mind pure Android).
Old 12-15-2012 at 03:12 PM   #4
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Playbook is epic. It's extremely useful, I've had it since mid-summer, and it's allowed me to be extremely productive. I use it for the same reason you are proposing. Also, it performs multi-tasking like no other tablet.

That's my EXPERIENCE. Not just opinion...
Old 12-15-2012 at 03:22 PM   #5
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

I'd avoid the Playbook. We sell them at work and they get returned in pretty high numbers, some defective and some just disappointing.

I have an iPad, which I quite enjoy, and I really enjoyed playing with the Nexus 7 at work and have heard great things from my customers. I had one downloaded textbook, which is something I think I'd only do for a class that's primarily about practice questions - for anything I had to read at length and take notes on, I still prefer physical books (and taking notes in a notebook, like the fogey I clearly am lol).
Old 12-15-2012 at 03:35 PM   #6
mike_302
Elite Member

Going above and beyond the testimonial of an Apple fan, I read the reviews of the tablet online before purchasing them. Many defective issues seemed to be draining the battery to completely dead state, such that a special type of charger is required, or people jamming the charger in the wrong way, frying the USB port. The competent user has no problem (typically) with the Playbook hardware: Hence why Amazon's Kindle Fire is just a rebranded Playbook...
Old 12-15-2012 at 04:53 PM   #7
JPhan

I've always been leaning towards to N7 because of the Android OS and the fact that I can use its NFC with my phone. But the cameras, HDMI output and the face that a 32gb tablet is $150 keeps pulling me back to the Playbook. I know that the N7 has OTG support which means I can have a lot of expandable space but it's not built in.

I've checked out the videos and reviews of BB10 (phone and OS) and it seems really good, not a "shot in the dark" program like everyone makes it out to be.

I guess what is basically comes down to is...
N7
  • Android OS
  • Compatibility with phone
Playbook
  • Hardware in general
This is actually my first tablet hence the reason why I'm so unsure.
Old 12-15-2012 at 05:18 PM   #8
mike_302
Elite Member

I believe you'll find some level of compatibility b/w the Android and the Playbook still, so don't discount the Playbook completely in that regard.
Old 12-15-2012 at 05:26 PM   #9
JPhan

In terms of apps, I know that RIM has put out a software where Android app developers can move their apps into the Blackberry market with an extremely easy process.

I know that I'll get some compatibility with the Playbook but in comparison to the N7, it's day and night because everything constantly syncs with my Gmail with my Android devices.
Old 12-15-2012 at 05:51 PM   #10
mike_302
Elite Member

Yea, the Playbook syncs. Current phones, not so well. BB10 phones will be in line again though.

See this: http://crackberry.com/google-drops-e...ean-blackberry