MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Who should I talk to for help? Giantorange Academics 2 03-27-2011 06:09 PM
Transferring: Who can I talk to for that? sinnersdrown First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 11-14-2010 09:50 PM
Family issue - who do I talk to at school? MacStudent06 Academics 5 09-20-2010 02:36 PM
Leafs Pre-Season Talk Infinity General Discussion 44 10-01-2009 12:44 PM

Who to talk to in order to get registration in a course?

Old 07-10-2012 at 12:34 PM   #1
guerilla

Liked: 33 Times

Who to talk to in order to get registration in a course?
There is a course I want to get into (math 1k03) that is "Normally not open to students who have completed Grade 12 Calculus and Vectors U, Grade 12 Advanced Functions U or Grade 12 Advanced Functions and Introductory Calculus U." I have an advanced function credit but from over 2 years ago with a poor mark so I think it would be best I take it, though it doesn't let me do it through SOLAR. I'm trying to get into contact with someone who I can talk about potentially getting into the course. Does anyone know who I should get into contact with? I've been on the phone all day with with the registrar but nobody seems to be able to help me and they forward me to my faculty which just ends up at a voice mail system that is currently not taking voice mail. What am I to do?
Old 07-10-2012 at 12:51 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla View Post
There is a course I want to get into (math 1k03) that is "Normally not open to students who have completed Grade 12 Calculus and Vectors U, Grade 12 Advanced Functions U or Grade 12 Advanced Functions and Introductory Calculus U." I have an advanced function credit but from over 2 years ago with a poor mark so I think it would be best I take it, though it doesn't let me do it through SOLAR. I'm trying to get into contact with someone who I can talk about potentially getting into the course. Does anyone know who I should get into contact with? I've been on the phone all day with with the registrar but nobody seems to be able to help me and they forward me to my faculty which just ends up at a voice mail system that is currently not taking voice mail. What am I to do?
Probably the math department but I would talk to an academic advisor about it first to know exactly what will happen. One question you should ask is if the course will count towards your degree.

guerilla says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 07-11-2012 at 11:36 AM   #3
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

I would be surprised if they had exceptions for situations such as yours. There are plenty of students that take a 5th year in highschool which results in some of their prerequisite courses, or in this case antirequisite courses being in their first year of grade 12. I just dont see them bending the rules due to a poor mark. What it comes down to is you passed the course, therefore you meet the antirequisite of having completed the highschool calculus class. Good luck though
Old 07-11-2012 at 01:44 PM   #4
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

Best bet is academic adviser of your faculty.
Old 07-11-2012 at 05:12 PM   #5
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

They might let you take it without it counting towards your degree, but it also depends on how full the class is, how willing they are to bend the rules, etc. Call or email the academic advisors in your faculty.
Old 07-19-2012 at 02:51 PM   #6
DoctorJ

Liked: 0 Times

if your trying to get into a course and are in Engineering, talk to Sally first !

She is very helpful and will assure you are following the right path to success

.".You can lead a horse to water, but cant make it drink "

#FoodForThought
Old 07-19-2012 at 02:54 PM   #7
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

Since when is Macinsiders a subdivision of twitter? whats with the hashtagging? and these cheesy quotes?

in regards to the post though, i just cant see them letting you take a class that specifically states that you dont meet the only antirequisite. If they let you take it, what is the point of having an antirequisite in the first place?

Eternal Fire likes this.
Old 07-26-2012 at 07:27 AM   #8
fernancb

Liked: Liked 4 Times

Mmm, I'd say to talk to the Office of the department, not just your academic head. Usually if there's ever a problem with prerequisites or antirequisites i head on over to the dean of science office (since I'm in Science) and they fix everything up with a few keystrokes. I've never tried it with my academic head
Old 08-03-2012 at 12:59 AM   #9
guptas46

Liked: 9 Times

i would recommend talking to the professor. the only time i saw an exception similar to this made it involved the professor. Show up after/before the first class and explain yourself... worst case he/she tells you no. (this is assuming the department doesn't help you, cuz that's always step one, email the math department and explain yourself)

sincerely though, i don't think this will work out, that course was created to allow students who didn't take the HS courses that want to take upper level courses that require said hs courses.

definitely worth a shot though! uni is all about being your own advocate! sometimes asking someone a thirty second question can save you a ton of grief in the future.
Old 08-03-2012 at 01:59 PM   #10
guerilla

Liked: 33 Times

Thanks for the advice guys, I went ahead and emailed the math department and they gave me the green light!