MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Textbooks exuberant888 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 08-15-2010 08:00 PM
Textbooks Qadd Academics 2 08-02-2010 12:19 PM
Want $150 to help pay for textbooks? Chad MacInsiders Announcements 49 03-22-2009 09:32 PM
Why did I even buy some of these textbooks... Ownaginatios Academics 14 12-08-2008 06:53 PM
Textbooks kayleech Academics 16 09-01-2007 04:45 PM

Textbooks

Old 04-09-2008 at 09:58 PM   #1
KRan

Liked: 10 Times

Textbooks
Hi! I found this site yesterday and quite impressed by all the great information, but I have a few questions.

I was accepted into Mac Kin. (wooo)

I know a girl who is finishing first year Kin, and I was wondering if it would be better (cheaper) to offer to buy my required course textbooks off of her, or should I buy them from the bookstore?

Thanks!

Karen
Old 04-09-2008 at 11:20 PM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Karen, at this point in the year I would not advise you to buy used books from any students. The book listing for courses starting in September don't come out until the late summer (late July-ish if I'm not mistaken). Between now and then, it is possible that the textbooks you will require will be different than what was required for this year.

Used textbooks are a hell of a lot cheaper, and I would suggest you get them once you know which books you will need for the year.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 04-10-2008 at 12:04 AM   #3
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

MacInsiders has a few articles on buying books, and some advice about buying them.
- Buying Your Textbooks (new and used)
- Used Books = Save Money!
- Where to get my books?

I would recommend waiting until you get your official booklist (as they change each year) and then see if your friend has the textbook(s) you're needing.

If you buy all the books off of your friend now, and then come September find out that the book they sold you is no longer being used, or a newer edition is being used, then you just wasted your money. However, when you get your book list and see that they are using the same textbooks as last year, then buy them off your friend
Old 04-10-2008 at 07:09 AM   #4
KRan

Liked: 10 Times

I hadn't thought of booklists changing, thanks!
Old 04-13-2008 at 10:44 AM   #5
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Booklists may change but usually at the beginning of August they are finalized.

My suggestion is to keep checking, get the ISBN number of the book you're looking for and then look for it on http://www.abebooks.com. The ISBN takes into account the version too but make sure you check that you're buying the right one.

You could use a previous version and just take it out of the library or borrow it from a friend when you hit a part that was updated.
Old 04-15-2008 at 04:43 PM   #6
jade177

Liked: 8 Times

Yay for Kin!
I was actually wondering the same thing, so this is definitely helpful!
Thanks all!
Old 04-15-2008 at 09:02 PM   #7
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

That's why we're here!

Seriously!

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement