MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RANT: Why do people litter... pinkpiggydoe General Discussion 18 09-24-2010 06:51 PM
rant but not really manap3000 Volunteering Opportunities 33 08-24-2010 07:44 PM
Library Etiquette: Rant creen General Discussion 53 12-12-2009 11:27 AM
Rant. lawleypop General Discussion 28 10-20-2009 05:45 PM

textbooks - a bitter rant, followed by unicorns

Old 08-18-2010 at 01:16 PM   #1
jackiemac

Liked: 71 Times

textbooks - a bitter rant, followed by unicorns
Alright, so I've taken 11 classes, bought numerous new and used textbooks as well as writing guides and, the ultimate screw job, custom courseware. I think I have sold back a total of 3 books successfully. One was a writing guide that I got exactly $2.10 for. Why? Because profs change editions, because sessional profs don't come back for another year... all sorts of reasons. So yah, I have this $150 pair of sociology books that I bought last year and this year the edition has been changed. Yahoo, go me! I now have very large paperweights. I'd love to buy digital books, has anyone looked into that particular financial fustercluck? You might save $15 on a $100 book, IF it's available at all.

I just looked at my book list for first semester, I have one CCW at $80. Srsly. WTH?!

To all incoming first year students - I have 2 pieces of advice: never, ever buy those "required" writing style books - all of that information can be found online with plenty of examples to show you what you need to know. Second, buy used when you absolutely have to but check the library first and just borrow the texts you need, when you need them.

Oops, forgot the unicorns, here have a bunny.
Old 08-18-2010 at 01:20 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Also, never buy your books before the first class because as mentioned above, professors could change books or editions without notifying titles.
Old 08-18-2010 at 01:22 PM   #3
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Buying old editions of texts books can save insane amounts of money, last year I paid $5 the previous edition of the $100+ Cell Bio text book and $16 for the previous edition of the ~$165 Orgo text book
Old 08-18-2010 at 01:25 PM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
Buying old editions of texts books can save insane amounts of money, last year I paid $5 the previous edition of the $100+ Cell Bio text book and $16 for the previous edition of the ~$165 Orgo text book
I recommend buying the older version if your professor says it's ok. They generally know what has been added and most of the time only 1 section has been added, or pictures or sometimes the wording is just different. But make sure your professor says it's ok because they should know best.

The only problem with buying older versions is that you have to look for the content yourself as chapters are usually mixed around (sometimes they figure it's better to teach something before another thing for ease of understanding) but that's what the index is for.
Old 08-19-2010 at 12:44 PM   #5
jordan19

Liked: 19 Times

I learned from my first year, and never bought any books in second year. Looked up the textbooks on the library reserves. saved lots of flow. true story.
Old 08-19-2010 at 01:26 PM   #6
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Honestly, I only clicked on this thread because of the promise of unicorns...

Oh, 4 of my texts have been re-used for successive courses, and I bought a thick recent Biochemistry textbook for a dollar at a thrift store --- true story.
Old 08-19-2010 at 01:42 PM   #7
jackiemac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrw88 View Post
Honestly, I only clicked on this thread because of the promise of unicorns...
I sincerely apologize. I had to substitute Unicorn Chow for Goat Chow as apparently Purina has stopped manufacturing food for fictitious creatures. In good news though, the grass in back yard no longer needs mowing...

Nice score on the Bio Chem book, btw.
Old 08-19-2010 at 02:58 PM   #8
dmzz
Polymath extraordinaire.

Liked: 51 Times

I don't understand the argument about your prof changing the book and you getting screwed over. Titles allows you return textbooks, new and used, until September 25. A similar system is in place for Term 2. If they change it, return it.

Old 08-19-2010 at 03:03 PM   #9
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmzz View Post
I don't understand the argument about your prof changing the book and you getting screwed over. Titles allows you return textbooks, new and used, until September 25. A similar system is in place for Term 2. If they change it, return it.
The textbook has to be in the same package you bought it in. This means a lot of new books can't be opened. But used books can and you can return it at the full price you bought it at.

I personally feel you are wasting time by travelling to McMaster to buy books if you are just going to return them afterwards. There may be no lines when you initially buy your books but I'm sure there are going to be lines when you return them.

Edit: I also think the argument of a "head start" doesn't make sense. You don't have the course outline so you don't know what chapter you are starting on. You don't know what sections you are and are not covering. If you do have the course outline, you might as well just wiki everything. Saves you time and I find it's much easier.
Old 08-19-2010 at 03:10 PM   #10
jackiemac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmzz View Post
I didn't mean in the case of a book being returnable, I meant after the semester is complete. I don't understand why a professor can't use the same textbook beyond the point that the newest editions are published. What I mean is... the information within doesn't change that much, and if something pertinent is covered in the newest edition, why won't/can't they find a relevant journal article in one of the thousands of databases that the library subscribes to and cover it that way. In this case, books are reused over and over, we print fewer books and students aren't burdened with keeping a bunch of expensive books that they really don't want but can't imagine parting with because they're so bloody expensive.

Do we really need the latest edition of "History of the Atlantic World", has it changed much? Just sayin'...
Old 08-19-2010 at 03:17 PM   #11
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiemac View Post
I didn't mean in the case of a book being returnable, I meant after the semester is complete. I don't understand why a professor can't use the same textbook beyond the point that the newest editions are published. What I mean is... the information within doesn't change that much, and if something pertinent is covered in the newest edition, why won't/can't they find a relevant journal article in one of the thousands of databases that the library subscribes to and cover it that way. In this case, books are reused over and over, we print fewer books and students aren't burdened with keeping a bunch of expensive books that they really don't want but can't imagine parting with because they're so bloody expensive.

Do we really need the latest edition of "History of the Atlantic World", has it changed much? Just sayin'...
Some professors try to use the previous edition (Dr. King for example). The problem with this is that the older edition doesn't get printed anymore. There are only a limited amount of books left in the world and as time goes buy books get damaged.

Professors can't be like, "I believe Titles will be able to get me 500 of the same edition book". What happens if they can't? That's why a lot of professors say "I recommend the newer edition because I will reference from that edition. But you can still use the older edition".

jackiemac says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 08-19-2010 at 03:26 PM   #12
jackiemac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post

Professors can't be like, "I believe Titles will be able to get me 500 of the same edition book". What happens if they can't? That's why a lot of professors say "I recommend the newer edition because I will reference from that edition. But you can still use the older edition".
You make an excellent point, sir.

I really wish digital textbooks were moving along the technology curve a little faster.
Old 08-19-2010 at 04:10 PM   #13
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiemac View Post
You make an excellent point, sir.

I really wish digital textbooks were moving along the technology curve a little faster.
That would be amazing. I personally have no problem with reading off the computer but I know a lot of people that hate it. I think that's really what is impeding the process. But electronic texts/books are the best because it's SOOOOOOOOOOOOO easy to search things up. You just ctrl (or cmd) + f and you can find anything within the text.
Old 08-19-2010 at 04:23 PM   #14
C Lyn

Liked: 0 Times

does titles sell used books?
Old 08-19-2010 at 04:25 PM   #15
dmzz
Polymath extraordinaire.

Liked: 51 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Lyn View Post
does titles sell used books?
Yes, in limited quantities. First come first serve. Thats why I recommend buying them used from titles, and if needed return them within 2ish weeks from when classes begin.

That is assuming you can't get it cheaper elsewhere.

One note, I always shop early for used books, and as a result, have EVERY TIME gotten the book in mint condition. You legit could not tell that it was not new, other than by the "used" sticker.