MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Minor in Finance John H General Discussion 23 10-10-2009 12:11 AM
MSU Tour With The VP Finance Chad MacInsiders Announcements 5 08-30-2009 03:40 AM
New Personal Finance Course Chad Academics 1 07-27-2007 03:35 PM

What is there to do in Finance?

Old 05-30-2010 at 06:51 PM   #1
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

What is there to do in Finance?
So it's getting close to that time of year... Having to pick our area of focus. ;P

I was planning on doing either the Finance or the Accounting route, because let's be honest... I'm in it for the money.

Although, I do prefer finance. I was talking to Reeves and I mentioned the CFA upon graduation, and he responded with, "You're only planning on getting the CFA?"

His response has me somewhat worried since I was under the impression that the CFA was kind of a big deal... kinda like what the CA is to Accounting.

So, I guess my question is...

The CFA is a big deal, right? And if it isn't, are there more designations to Finance than just that? And what's the hierarchy of them?

And any other info relating to Finance would be good, too. (Where are all the resources related to these things? lol)

Thanks.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 05-31-2010 at 12:26 PM   #2
Katia
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 36 Times

There are several other courses you can do (canadian designations) Such as CSC, CFP, CFA.. etc.

https://www.csi.ca/student/en_ca/home.xhtml

click on the path you are more interested in and get all the certificates available.
Most common are:

Financial Planning and Wealth Management
Investment Banking
Portfolio Management
Research & Analysis
Risk Management
Trading

lawleypop says thanks to Katia for this post.
Old 05-31-2010 at 01:12 PM   #3
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

how much would you be satisfied making in a year btw? just curious
Old 05-31-2010 at 01:23 PM   #4
mcmaster12

Liked: 6 Times

his reaction to that is because most ppl in finance have more than one designation. Finance is very broad. The CFA designation is the must get designation for Finance. However, you should also be looking into other ones such as CSC ( this one u can get over the summer - my friend already started and it isnt too difficult), CFP, FMA, etc.

https://www.csi.ca/student/en_ca/des...ns/index.xhtml

If you go to that link, there are ton's other certificates/designations you can obtain.

lawleypop says thanks to mcmaster12 for this post.
Old 05-31-2010 at 01:25 PM   #5
mcmaster12

i would also like to add that, there is no hierarchy to the designations. It depends which field u want to get into finance. Banking, personal finance, corporate finance - each one will require different certifications/designations.

Old 05-31-2010 at 02:23 PM   #6
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew22 View Post
how much would you be satisfied making in a year btw? just curious
Over 9000! ;D

(Honestly, I only plan on working for like 5 years of my life and then I plan on becoming a vagabond... So yea, whatever I can make the fastest is what I'm going for).

Old 05-31-2010 at 02:38 PM   #7
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Over 9000! ;D

(Honestly, I only plan on working for like 5 years of my life and then I plan on becoming a vagabond... So yea, whatever I can make the fastest is what I'm going for).
did you see a hobo get a piece of apple pie once? lol
Old 05-31-2010 at 05:33 PM   #8
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Lmao... what?

Old 05-31-2010 at 05:47 PM   #9
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmaster12 View Post
his reaction to that is because most ppl in finance have more than one designation.
I just assumed that after 4 years in school, you got more than 1 designation, especially when some, like the CSC, you can get on your own in a matter of weeks.
Old 05-31-2010 at 05:55 PM   #10
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

If regular joe blows can just get these by paying money, I dunno what I'm doing wasting my time in uni. srsly

Old 05-31-2010 at 05:57 PM   #11
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
If regular joe blows can just get these by paying money, I dunno what I'm doing wasting my time in uni. srsly
Idk about joe blows. The only person I know who got his CSC was a friend who was in uni for 7 years, and took a little but of everything before finally getting a journalism degree. Maybe he did a couple years business to qualify for it. Like I said, idk.
Old 05-31-2010 at 07:07 PM   #12
mcmaster12

The CSC actually has over 40 chapters. Ive talked to Prof. Deaves of 2FA3, and he says that many of his students have done it in the past after 2FA3. The CSC isnt a walk in the park, however with a bit of dedication and studying you can obtain it within the summer. Its actually not too late to register now and do the exam by the end of summer (you register for examination your self anytime you feel ready). Plus come January when you apply for banks and other financial institutions, you will have an advantage over ur classmates since not too many would have completed the CSC by third year.

Only drawback to the CSC is that its over $900.

Old 05-31-2010 at 07:10 PM   #13
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Yea, actually, I was just applying to a bank the other day and this is how the whole topic came up. ;P I definitely would if I had 900 dollars. :(

Old 06-01-2010 at 08:24 PM   #14
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

If you want to do finance to drive a lambo, just do your CSC, start your CFA (Final year of University), and go into I-Banking.

50% of the time it works 100% of time.

lawleypop says thanks to PTGregD for this post.
Old 06-01-2010 at 09:04 PM   #15
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 394 Times

Also a required step: get hired by an I-Bank...

Finance isn't an easy stream to break into and come out successful. It's intensely stressful, has long hours, and is very complicated. Not to mention that finance will be changing a lot in the next few years because the US plans on regulating the industry.

lawleypop says thanks to deadpool for this post.