MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Things need to bring to REZ JeetDevDesai Residence & Housing 32 06-24-2010 11:20 AM
Annoying site error... Ownaginatios Computers & Tech 15 05-05-2010 11:48 AM
8 Things You Should Know About Your Bookstore! kokosas MacInsiders Announcements 0 08-29-2008 10:32 PM
A few new things to note Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 09-30-2006 01:03 AM

Things that are annoying

Old 09-14-2010 at 10:49 PM   #1
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Things that are annoying
I realize it's only been about a week, but I can't help it. This stuff bothers me, so I'm going to use this space like a 14-year old's LiveJournal, and vent.

Facebook during class- Okay, so this one doesn't directly involve me, but it's distracting nonetheless. Almost every class I never fail to see atleast 3 people on their Facebook accounts, either on Facebook chat and telling their friends how awful the class is (um, then get the **** out), or browsing through pictures taken at Wasaga. Of course lecture halls are dimmed, so any swimsuit picture is in effect, burned into my retinas.

Taking the Apple obsession to a whole new level- Again, not a direct involvement, but holy crap, this school would put the regular Apple ads to shame. Be it a pod, pad, or Pro, a large chunk of the McMaster population is hooked. The annoying part? When they walk around all snooty, flashing that glowing, bitten apple like it's the greatest thing to grace this earth. News flash: there's about 438574387 other kids doing the exact same thing.

Not prioritizing other students' needs- What I mean by this is, when a class has ended, move out of the way. When you see someone walking fast, move out the way. If the line you're in at Union Market is long and you're not sure if you have all your change, move out of the way and come back when you have it. If you have class in BSB 147, move out of the way so the kids inside can leave. And of course, if you'd really like an end seat in a lecture hall, place your bag on it, and ensure that everyone else filling in the row can get in because you have moved out of the way. This all just makes life easier for everyone with little to no effort.

Talking during class- Don't do it. Seriously. Or I might Hulk Smash.

People complaining about the amount of work- UM, HELLO. You're in university now. If you thought that frosh week was an accurate representation of the average academic experience, you're delusional. You're going to have readings and essays and labs and practice problems and loads of homework. The profs don't hold your hand and give you warm milk and cooh at you if you tell them last minute that you don't understand something. Tough love. Learn, or leave.

Mills library is a night club- Because the only place in Mills that's workable is the fourth floor, which is in Narnia. Fourth floor ftw.

Faculty bashing (not in good humour)- Someone in Commerce told me that Humanities was a "Plan C" faculty, because we couldn't get "Plan A" (Commerce + all the sciences) or the "Plan B" faculty (Social Science). Why do people still do this? It's juvenile, especially now that frosh is over, and faculty bashing is out of context and dated. We're all important.

None of the profs (except for the Computer ones) are good with technology- This isn't so much a pet peeve, as it is endearing. They grumble and fiddle with their mics and make cute excuses.

Ass-kissing the prof when the long line behind you is looking anxious because they want to ask a legit question and want to be on time for their next class/appointment- Nuff said.

Got any of your own? Share them!

Love,

A first Year

tangjuice says thanks to AelyaS for this post.

Old 09-14-2010 at 10:57 PM   #2
Juve
Elite Member

Liked: 117 Times

Ya about the apple laptops , its the best laptop made , thats why people use it In uni , it has a battery life of 10 hours and doesn't get a lot of viruses , I have a MacBook pro so what it's not a big deal it's just costs 300 bucks more that's the price of like 2 textbooks
Old 09-14-2010 at 10:58 PM   #3
Juve
Elite Member

Liked: 117 Times

And I agree with everything else you said
Old 09-14-2010 at 11:01 PM   #4
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juve View Post
Ya about the apple laptops , its the best laptop made , thats why people use it In uni , it has a battery life of 10 hours and doesn't get a lot of viruses , I have a MacBook pro so what it's not a big deal it's just costs 300 bucks more that's the price of like 2 textbooks

I do agree that they are good laptops, I just don't like how people act when they're in posession of Apple products. This is just a statement made on the majority that I have encountered, I know not everyone does.
Old 09-14-2010 at 11:05 PM   #5
Yakattack
Chatbot 2.0

Liked: 80 Times

Yeah, a lot of people go on facebook, but one time I saw a person on Macinsiders and just went "oh yeah"

Afzal, Ish001, Joey like this.
Old 09-14-2010 at 11:09 PM   #6
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

I think the only thing worse than Apple fanboys(girls) are people who ***** incessantly about Apple fanboys(girls).

Other than that I agree with a lot of your complaints. Facebook during class was one of the most annoying things during first year, so distracting.

Faculty bashing is super irritating outside of Welcome Week too.
Old 09-14-2010 at 11:24 PM   #7
nickt91

Liked: Liked 5 Times

The Fourth Floor Of Mills is Narnia

Old 09-14-2010
YoWhat
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 09-15-2010 at 12:28 AM   #8
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AelyaS View Post
Taking the Apple obsession to a whole new level- Again, not a direct involvement, but holy crap, this school would put the regular Apple ads to shame. Be it a pod, pad, or Pro, a large chunk of the McMaster population is hooked. The annoying part? When they walk around all snooty, flashing that glowing, bitten apple like it's the greatest thing to grace this earth. News flash: there's about 438574387 other kids doing the exact same thing.
lol, the only thing worse than that are the titles computer center employees. It's almost impossible to walk in there without seeing one of them lecturing a student on why OS X is the greatest thing to ever grace the Earth's surface, and how it NEVER gets viruses (cause you know, PCs are extreme virus magnets... if you're a dumbass that thinks an MP3 can fit in 64 KB and has the extension '.exe'). They act like they're really cool computer-savvy guys/girls, but give blank looks if you bring up anything even slightly technical like bus-speed.

I'm almost at the point where I feel like learning objective-C just to write a mac-virus and **** douchebags over. lol

Quote:
Mills library is a night club- Because the only place in Mills that's workable is the fourth floor, which is in Narnia. Fourth floor ftw.
Orly... alright everyone, lets move the macinsiders social to the 4th floor of Mills!

Quote:
None of the profs (except for the Computer ones) are good with technology- This isn't so much a pet peeve, as it is endearing. They grumble and fiddle with their mics and make cute excuses.
lol, a lot of the computer ones suck just as bad too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoWhat View Post
lol on her period
inb4 rage

Afzal, Xbrzz like this.
Old 09-15-2010 at 01:05 AM   #9
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

OSAP is a heavy debt for many people that we take so we can attend these classes. If you want to talk about something in the 2nd or middle rows for the entire class, please just do others a courtesy and leave the room.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

AelyaS, comte like this.
Old 09-15-2010 at 06:22 AM   #10
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

I hates the faculty bashing too, Hummers are kool. Lets hang out in Narnia some time!

Regards,

AelyaS, comte, Kathy2, sew12 like this.
Old 09-15-2010 at 06:48 AM   #11
amyshi

Liked: 19 Times

I know what you mean, once there were these 2 girls sitting in front of me who talked the ENTIRE CLASS. And you know how people usually pause between sentences? They were like talking MACHINES. They kept talking even after someone told them to stfu. Why do people go to class just to talk?
Old 09-15-2010 at 08:31 AM   #12
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
lol, the only thing worse than that are the titles computer center employees. It's almost impossible to walk in there without seeing one of them lecturing a student on why OS X is the greatest thing to ever grace the Earth's surface, and how it NEVER gets viruses (cause you know, PCs are extreme virus magnets... if you're a dumbass that thinks an MP3 can fit in 64 KB and has the extension '.exe'). They act like they're really cool computer-savvy guys/girls, but give blank looks if you bring up anything even slightly technical like bus-speed.

I'm almost at the point where I feel like learning objective-C just to write a mac-virus and **** douchebags over. lol

Orly... alright everyone, lets move the macinsiders social to the 4th floor of Mills!

lol, a lot of the computer ones suck just as bad too.

inb4 rage

I never understood the PC hate either. Macs are good computers with a good battery life, but I don't see why I should pay over $1000 just for that. In the end (that is, unless you are in a program that requires all the specialty software that Macs come with), the work being done on a Mac is the same work being done on a PC.

I have nothing against Mac owners, just that so many I've encountered make a bad name for Apple fans.

And if anything happens to Narnia...
Old 09-15-2010 at 08:32 AM   #13
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrw88 View Post
I hates the faculty bashing too, Hummers are kool. Lets hang out in Narnia some time!

Regards,

Yay for friendly engineers.

Also, I just saw your major. Total respect.
Old 09-15-2010 at 09:31 AM   #14
MiniDragon

Liked: 60 Times

I don't really understand what you mean by Apple Obsession. I like Apple products, I have Apple Products. So? Just because someone is using a gadget they paid for doesn't mean they feel so proud of themselves for doing so. Or am I missing your point?

Everything else I agree with for the most part. Though if someone is on Facebook, as long as they are quiet and not distracting, its not such a big deal.