arathbon likes this.
Old 01-25-2011 at 01:13 PM   #77
Commander
P.I.M.P

Liked: 63 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Commander is funnayyyyyy
Is it really that easy to get into Third year engineering ?

If you got there, anyone can...
Old 01-25-2011 at 01:51 PM   #78
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
Is it really that easy to get into Third year engineering ?

If you got there, anyone can...
Well thats an ever-so-nice of a thing to say, do say more!
Old 01-25-2011 at 08:18 PM   #79
aakksshhaayy

Liked: 3 Times

@Commander

Gravity is no longer considered a proper force, as Einstien's theory of general relativity points out that mass creates curves in space time and that moving objects are simply following a straight line in this curved spacetime. In terms of planets, when to us it seems as if they are orbiting the sun, they are actually simply going in a straight line in curved space around the sun. Therefore there is no actual acceleration on the body, but from our POV there seems to be an acceleration (Force) from the sun acting on the earth. In our modern time General relativity predicts gravity much better than Newton's law of gravity especially close to very large masses such as black holes or giant stars. But apart from these situations, Newton's law of gravity works extremely well anyway so people tend to use it. So in summary, Newton's law of gravity is not really a law of the universe as it does not work in all situations and we have better ways of predicting the effects of gravity.

One more thing, you have probably heard of Newton's laws of motion, but as anyone would know by now, they are not valid in non-inertial reference frames and close to the speed of light therefore making them non-universal (yet they are still called laws)
Old 01-28-2011 at 12:17 AM   #80
Commander
P.I.M.P

Please, don't try to talk about something you clearly have no idea about...

And don't try to tell me what GTR is. I didn't say gravity was considered a force or not. Some physicist do. That's why they modeled the hypothetical "graviton".
So I''l point out your mistakes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aakksshhaayy View Post
In our modern time General relativity predicts gravity much better than Newton's law of gravity especially close to very large masses such as black holes or giant stars.(...)So in summary, Newton's law of gravity is not really a law of the universe as it does not work in all situations and we have better ways of predicting the effects of gravity.
Ok where do I start... Umm.... (After several hours...) Newton's law of gravitation does work with black holes and big ass stars. It's just expressed differently and in termsof Energy. Basically link E=mc^2 (relativity) and newton's law of gravitation you get....

GM/r= c2

Newton's law hold only at macroscopic level and not at the very small or very fast. (You didn't need to tell me that)

However, they are still laws. They were meant for when a mass was constant. Near the speed of light, acceleration is very small since at the subatomic level, there is duality.

And objects do not follow a straight line but a world line, since its not a Cartesian system anymore but a "curved" coordinate system.

Personally, I don't understand General Theory of Relativity. I am only at the "intro". It's something that they do in grad level and takes much more effort than to read wikipedia.

And WTF do you mean by no acceleration and acceleration in a different frame of reference. I thought that in GTR, all frame of references were treated equal.

And Gravity is not curvature of space-time and I know its not really a force. Its a fact but GRT is a theory that explains gravity even if that theory has been proven... There is still acceleration because there is still a change in velocity.

Last edited by Commander : 01-28-2011 at 12:21 AM.
Old 01-28-2011
Desda
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 01-28-2011 at 01:11 AM   #81
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 815 Times

Quote:
Boobs feel like bags of sand.

They sure do!

alh24 likes this.
Old 01-28-2011 at 01:16 AM   #82
Watoko
Elite Member

Liked: 126 Times

Alright. We've argued about Math, then English, now Physics! Can we do Chemistry next?

Last edited by Watoko : 01-28-2011 at 01:19 AM.
Old 01-28-2011 at 07:42 AM   #83
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

^ I wouldn't say we've argued about math or physics. It's basically been a slew of ad hominem insults, followed by "I KNOW VECTOR CALCULUS!" and the statement of equations, probably pulled off physicsforums anyway

Old 01-28-2011 at 07:55 AM   #84
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watoko View Post
Alright. We've argued about Math, then English, now Physics! Can we do Chemistry next?
...I don't think we can...

Opening Statement: Chemistry sucks.
Old 01-28-2011 at 08:37 AM   #85
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Take that back!
Old 01-28-2011 at 11:20 AM   #86
Commander
P.I.M.P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
^ I wouldn't say we've argued about math or physics. It's basically been a slew of ad hominem insults, followed by "I KNOW VECTOR CALCULUS!" and the statement of equations, probably pulled off physicsforums anyway

Umm, no, it wasn't an argument. I don't "argue" with inferior people who don't even realize that laws of physics are laws and the universe doesn't have a potentially infinite instances.

The Universe will stay like is until it goes back to singularity. Statement of equations ? I don't pull that off from physics forums , I go there to ask questions about quantum physics because I don't understand it.

The equation I put forward is leaned at grade 12. If you're not an idiot, you can relate Newton's law of gravitation (in potential energy form) and E=MC^2 (****in famous equation).

There is no problem of induction because laws of physics aren't inductive.
Old 01-28-2011
Commander
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 01-29-2011 at 07:17 PM   #87
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Umm, no, it wasn't an argument. I don't "argue" with inferior people who don't even realize that laws of physics are laws and the universe doesn't have a potentially infinite instances.

The Universe will stay like is until it goes back to singularity. Statement of equations ? I don't pull that off from physics forums , I go there to ask questions about quantum physics because I don't understand it.

The equation I put forward is leaned at grade 12. If you're not an idiot, you can relate Newton's law of gravitation (in potential energy form) and E=MC^2 (****in famous equation).

There is no problem of induction because laws of physics aren't inductive.
Hahah, reminds me of this:

Grandiose claims, a superiority complex, and no proof other than "I can't believe you don't realize this!!"...yep, my fundamentalist-creationist parallel was more than warranted

Old 01-30-2011 at 01:55 PM   #88
aakksshhaayy

Liked: 3 Times

@ commander

Gravity: An intro to Einstien's General Relativity is an excellent textbook that anyone can learn from and I suggest that you read it if you actually want to learn about gravity and not worship Newton's experimentally derived equation. I suggest you read Oedipus Rex as you shouldn't try to be in power over everything.