MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Thtr Flm 2bb3 darkhelmetsg 2nd Year Course Reviews 2 06-12-2012 01:29 PM
thtr 1t03 + random summer school q;s Chevalier First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 03-30-2011 04:39 PM
Thtr&flm 2s03 crys.eg Academics 0 06-10-2010 11:43 PM
Thtr&flm 1t03/1b03 julianface Academics 4 04-27-2010 09:15 PM
Thtr & Flm 3AA3 micadjems 3rd Year Course Reviews 0 12-14-2009 08:16 PM

Thtr&Flm 1T03

Thtr&Flm 1T03
Published by J. Dorey
06-13-2011
Published by
Elite Member

Author review
Overall Rating
80%80%80%
Professor Rating
90%90%90%
Interest
90%90%90%
Easiness
70%70%70%
Average 83%
Thtr&Flm 1T03

This course was pretty good. Dr. Cockett was the prof, and he was a pretty good lecturer. Sometimes he got a bit angry at excessive talking or lateness, but other than that he was very approachable and he had a pretty good sense of humour. He posted all of the slides on Avenue, which was a bonus, and was pretty good at explaining his slides. As for the course itself, I believe we read 4 plays (the best was Polygraph, which is probably one of the best plays I've ever read) and watched about 3 short films and 1 major film, which was Avatar. Most of them were pretty good, with the exception of one play and one film, but other than that they were mostly interesting. After each play/film, we would discuss the important details of the production process (lighting, sound, etc.) and would place the meaning of the films into a societal background (e.g. the alienation affect). Another requirement was that we had to attend the Major Production, as there was a whole section dedicated to this on the exam and multiple lectures on it. As for the format, we had tutorial participation, 2 essays, a midterm, a presentation, and the final exam, all of which are easy to do well on if you are willing to put in the work. Be advised though, this is not a bird course! Just as you would have to in any other class, you need to put in an effort to get a decent mark.

LindsayL216 says thanks to J. Dorey for this post.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Thtr&Flm 1T03!

Old 07-28-2011 at 01:16 PM   #2
kirsten..!

Liked: 26 Times
definitely not a bird course, but extremely enjoyable. im not a huge drama/theatre type person but i found that this was one of the most interesting classes ive taken in first year. many people went into the class thinking theyd just get to watch movies, but its more about analyzing the play/film/movie, looking into the social issues presented (patriarchy seemed to be a reoccuring issue!).. as well as focusing on production elements (lighting, costume, sound, etc), and how certain production elements could contribute to making that social issue more imminent !
side note: if you cant get into this class cause its full, keep trying! i found that a ton of people dropped the class once they found out what it was really about (analyzing rather than just chillin around watching movies haha).. so keep checking into the first 2 weeks of school o see if it opens up
Old 04-20-2013 at 07:28 PM   #3
Frankenseuss

Liked: 23 Times
THEATRE & FILM 1T03: THEATRE, CINEMA, AND SOCIETY

Course Outline

More Course Outlines for Theatre & Film Classes

This class disappointed me. I was expecting something much more interesting than what I got. A lot of the class was devoted to various "societal" issues surrounding the studied plays and films, (many of which were boring to begin with) to such an extent that this felt like a Cultural Studies class— which, if you read my review of CSCT 1CS3, you'll know I wasn't too fond of. The professor was very good, however, and there were some engaging parts to the class.

There were two 50-minute lectures and one 50-minute tutorial a week.

ASSIGNMENTS

Short Essay on A Doll's House (5%)

This was, actually, not as easy as it looked, mainly because when they say short essay, they mean short— the limit here was 300 words. And with an assignment involving analyzing around 70-100 lines of dialogue and describing choices in regards to production functions, that is not a lot of space. Condensing my thoughts was the toughest part of this. Luckily, A Doll's House was one of the more interesting plays we studied, so this assignment wasn't boring to write.

TIP: You will go over the word limit the first time you write this. On the plus side, this tiny amount of breathing room forces you to stay on topic, so make sure any extraneous sentences or words are axed.

Midterm Multiple Choice Test (10%)

Pretty easy. If you pay attention in class and do the readings, you should have no problem with this. People who didn't do one or both of those things, though, struggled. 30 questions, covering everything from the course up until the point of the test (we wrote this about halfway through the term).

TIP: Pay attention in the lectures, know the productions functions, and have a general idea of the plays/films studied.

Group Presentation in Tutorial (15%)

In the second tutorial, everyone picked one play or film from the course and, the week that material was studied, did a 20-minute presentation on it. Obviously there are more people in the tutorial than texts discussed, so people were grouped together based on their choice. Like all group projects, how enjoyable/easy this is depends largely on your fellow group members, so it's difficult for me to comment on how this will be for you. However, I can say that I was lucky enough to have a great team (we did Avatar), and even if you're terrified of group speaking, don't worry: this isn't hard.

TIP: Powerpoint. Use it. (Just don't write all your notes on the slide and read off it. That's NOT what it's for.) Acting out a scene from a play, if you're doing one, is generally a good way to get people's attention. Some people dressed up too, which should get you extra marks.

Individual Essay Based on Presentation (20%)

Five days after your group's presentation, you had to hand in an essay on the play/film you studied. As I mentioned before, I did Avatar, and so focused on the editing in the film (what I discussed in our presentation) and how it related to the film's overall message of environmental preservation being necessary. Since you should have most, if not all, of the information for the essay in your presentation, this was easy— just take that info, formalize it, and you're good.

TIP: Get help from your fellow group members on the essay— after all, you're all doing it on the same text.

Participation (15%)

This mark was based off your participation in tutorial, as well as an online component. Basically, the professor would put up discussion questions on Avenue, and you had to answer three of them, as well as pose one of your own and answer one asked by a fellow student. You have the entire term to do this (they're due the last day of term), so don't procrastinate. I got mine out of the way early, and I'm glad I did (it was kind of funny to see I had 802 unread discussion messages the day before term ended, though). Oh, there were also in class questions that we would have to answer and hand into the professor for marks. SO SHOW UP TO CLASS!

TIP: Try and answer at least three questions per tutorial.

Final Exam (35%)

The final exam was composed of 17 multiple choice questions and five "short answer essays" where you had to pick 5 of the studied plays/films and write a, well, short answer essay on each. How long exactly a "short answer essay" should be was somewhat unclear (my TA wasn't much help there either) but overall, this wasn't a hard exam. The 17 multiple choice were pretty straightforward, and the essay questions weren't bad either.

TIP:

PROFESSOR

As I mentioned in the introduction, the professor for this class was great. Her name was Dr. Beth Marquis, and she was a young, energetic, and loud (she didn't use a microphone) prof. I liked how she encouraged class participation and even had people reenact scenes from the studied plays in class, which was great. She was also one of the most 'active' professors I had all year, in that she was always asking for feedback, trying to learn everyone's names, answering questions on Avenue promptly, and just generally going above and beyond.

My TA was Malissa Phung, and she was... interesting. Very all over the place and scatterbrained, she seemed to have the inability to answer a question properly. She was also somewhat disorganized. However, she did bring a great enthusiasm and energy to tutorial, and that I appreciate.

OVERALL

It was interesting how when Avatar was studied— the only "mainstream" film of the whole course, and also the last looked at— participation went up a ton and everyone seemed genuinely interested. I think this course would be more interesting looking at some more "popular" hits and analyzing them, as opposed to the mostly dull stuff present now (A Doll's House, Harvest, and Avatar were all great though). There was also too much cultural study for my liking. Overall, the content of the course disappointed me— though I did like the professor a lot, so major props to her.
Old 05-03-2014 at 11:42 PM   #4
drslayer987

Liked: 1 Time
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenseuss View Post
THEATRE & FILM 1T03: THEATRE, CINEMA, AND SOCIETY

Course Outline

More Course Outlines for Theatre & Film Classes

This class disappointed me. I was expecting something much more interesting than what I got. A lot of the class was devoted to various "societal" issues surrounding the studied plays and films, (many of which were boring to begin with) to such an extent that this felt like a Cultural Studies class— which, if you read my review of CSCT 1CS3, you'll know I wasn't too fond of. The professor was very good, however, and there were some engaging parts to the class.

There were two 50-minute lectures and one 50-minute tutorial a week.

ASSIGNMENTS

Short Essay on A Doll's House (5%)

This was, actually, not as easy as it looked, mainly because when they say short essay, they mean short— the limit here was 300 words. And with an assignment involving analyzing around 70-100 lines of dialogue and describing choices in regards to production functions, that is not a lot of space. Condensing my thoughts was the toughest part of this. Luckily, A Doll's House was one of the more interesting plays we studied, so this assignment wasn't boring to write.

TIP: You will go over the word limit the first time you write this. On the plus side, this tiny amount of breathing room forces you to stay on topic, so make sure any extraneous sentences or words are axed.

Midterm Multiple Choice Test (10%)

Pretty easy. If you pay attention in class and do the readings, you should have no problem with this. People who didn't do one or both of those things, though, struggled. 30 questions, covering everything from the course up until the point of the test (we wrote this about halfway through the term).

TIP: Pay attention in the lectures, know the productions functions, and have a general idea of the plays/films studied.

Group Presentation in Tutorial (15%)

In the second tutorial, everyone picked one play or film from the course and, the week that material was studied, did a 20-minute presentation on it. Obviously there are more people in the tutorial than texts discussed, so people were grouped together based on their choice. Like all group projects, how enjoyable/easy this is depends largely on your fellow group members, so it's difficult for me to comment on how this will be for you. However, I can say that I was lucky enough to have a great team (we did Avatar), and even if you're terrified of group speaking, don't worry: this isn't hard.

TIP: Powerpoint. Use it. (Just don't write all your notes on the slide and read off it. That's NOT what it's for.) Acting out a scene from a play, if you're doing one, is generally a good way to get people's attention. Some people dressed up too, which should get you extra marks.

Individual Essay Based on Presentation (20%)

Five days after your group's presentation, you had to hand in an essay on the play/film you studied. As I mentioned before, I did Avatar, and so focused on the editing in the film (what I discussed in our presentation) and how it related to the film's overall message of environmental preservation being necessary. Since you should have most, if not all, of the information for the essay in your presentation, this was easy— just take that info, formalize it, and you're good.

TIP: Get help from your fellow group members on the essay— after all, you're all doing it on the same text.

Participation (15%)

This mark was based off your participation in tutorial, as well as an online component. Basically, the professor would put up discussion questions on Avenue, and you had to answer three of them, as well as pose one of your own and answer one asked by a fellow student. You have the entire term to do this (they're due the last day of term), so don't procrastinate. I got mine out of the way early, and I'm glad I did (it was kind of funny to see I had 802 unread discussion messages the day before term ended, though). Oh, there were also in class questions that we would have to answer and hand into the professor for marks. SO SHOW UP TO CLASS!

TIP: Try and answer at least three questions per tutorial.

Final Exam (35%)

The final exam was composed of 17 multiple choice questions and five "short answer essays" where you had to pick 5 of the studied plays/films and write a, well, short answer essay on each. How long exactly a "short answer essay" should be was somewhat unclear (my TA wasn't much help there either) but overall, this wasn't a hard exam. The 17 multiple choice were pretty straightforward, and the essay questions weren't bad either.

TIP:

PROFESSOR

As I mentioned in the introduction, the professor for this class was great. Her name was Dr. Beth Marquis, and she was a young, energetic, and loud (she didn't use a microphone) prof. I liked how she encouraged class participation and even had people reenact scenes from the studied plays in class, which was great. She was also one of the most 'active' professors I had all year, in that she was always asking for feedback, trying to learn everyone's names, answering questions on Avenue promptly, and just generally going above and beyond.

My TA was Malissa Phung, and she was... interesting. Very all over the place and scatterbrained, she seemed to have the inability to answer a question properly. She was also somewhat disorganized. However, she did bring a great enthusiasm and energy to tutorial, and that I appreciate.

OVERALL

It was interesting how when Avatar was studied— the only "mainstream" film of the whole course, and also the last looked at— participation went up a ton and everyone seemed genuinely interested. I think this course would be more interesting looking at some more "popular" hits and analyzing them, as opposed to the mostly dull stuff present now (A Doll's House, Harvest, and Avatar were all great though). There was also too much cultural study for my liking. Overall, the content of the course disappointed me— though I did like the professor a lot, so major props to her.

is it a good elective to take, as in light weight elective? I have intense course load and i want to know if its a good course to take

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search