MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Calculators dlee First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 26 08-14-2010 09:00 PM
Graphing Calculator? Hanna First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 08-14-2010 06:56 PM
?! Calculators xo.monica First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 25 08-12-2009 06:21 PM
Calculators for Engineers ingénieur.xo Computers & Tech 14 08-09-2007 10:58 PM

TI Graphing calculators

Old 07-28-2009 at 11:42 AM   #1
enov

Liked: 0 Times

TI Graphing calculators
The other day my friend was saying how TI graphing calculators aren't allowed in ontario schools or something. Is that true? If so, what are some "popular"/common calculators that people choose?
Old 07-28-2009 at 11:45 AM   #2
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

The only calculator you're allowed to use for anything is this specific Casio model they sell at the book store on campus for around $ 20.

I don't see the point of buying a calculator such as a TI-84. Computers produce much clearer graphs and have a lot more features.
Old 07-28-2009 at 11:50 AM   #3
enov

Liked: 0 Times

i see..thanks! cuz in my school we had to get a TI ever since we got into high school. what's the model they sell?
Old 07-28-2009 at 11:53 AM   #4
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by enov View Post
i see..thanks! cuz in my school we had to get a TI ever since we got into high school. what's the model they sell?
CASIO fx-991MS
Old 07-28-2009 at 11:54 AM   #5
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

Casio - FX-991

Edit - someone was faster
Old 07-28-2009 at 01:35 PM   #6
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
I don't see the point of buying a calculator such as a TI-84. Computers produce much clearer graphs and have a lot more features.
Because a computer won't fit in your pocket protector. :p

Actually you'd be surprised...like sure you could use Maple or Mathematica (which costs an arm and a leg by the way), but I've heard of so many people using a TI-emulator to do their graphing calculator stuff...personally, I've only got bad things to say about Maple, haha.

I guess it's because the interface is relatively straight-forward.

-----------------------

EDIT: By the way, your TI calculator can still be rather useful. The McMaster standard calculator does absolutely no graphing (but otherwise it's actually quite good!) so if you're in a math course and are really confused about sketching a curve for your homework problems, you can get a good look and such.

Those calculators simply aren't allowed on tests and I'm sure you could see why.

Last edited by Mowicz : 07-28-2009 at 01:38 PM.
Old 07-28-2009 at 01:40 PM   #7
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
considering how big them graphic calculators usually are, I don't think they would fit regardless...
Old 07-28-2009 at 01:43 PM   #8
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post

Actually you'd be surprised...like sure you could use Maple or Mathematica (which costs an arm and a leg by the way), but I've heard of so many people using a TI-emulator to do their graphing calculator stuff...personally, I've only got bad things to say about Maple, haha.

I guess it's because the interface is relatively straight-forward.

-----------------------

EDIT: By the way, your TI calculator can still be rather useful. The McMaster standard calculator does absolutely no graphing (but otherwise it's actually quite good!) so if you're in a math course and are really confused about sketching a curve for your homework problems, you can get a good look and such.

Those calculators simply aren't allowed on tests and I'm sure you could see why.
Ya, Maple is awful. Giant piece of crap - avoid at all costs :p. I think I spent 90% of the time on my Maple assignments just trying to work out some stupid bug that wasn't even my fault. I personally like graphmatica for sketching graphs since it's really light on system resources. It can't do some fancy things though (like showing you the process of filling out a graph in real time).

As to the TI-84, pretty much everything can emulate it. If you have an iPhone/iPod Touch/PDA... anything with a screen and some sort of computer; you can probably emulate a TI-84 on it. A standard TI-84 is a little on the large side since the technology running it hasn't really been updated in the last millennium.

Last edited by Ownaginatios : 07-28-2009 at 01:45 PM.
Old 07-28-2009 at 04:02 PM   #9
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 416 Times

is Casio fx-570 ES/MS allowed??

the only difference between 991 and 570 is that 991 has a solar panel
Old 07-28-2009 at 05:55 PM   #10
mellye
Elite Member

Liked: 29 Times

Well, my guess is technically you could probably get away with it. But what happens if you go into an exam and they tell you no?

The 991 is like 20 bucks. I wouldn't risk it. I mean: $20 vs. University Credit
Old 07-28-2009 at 05:59 PM   #11
mellye
Elite Member

Quote:
A standard TI-84 is a little on the large side since the technology running it hasn't really been updated in the last millennium.
Not really... My TI-89 Titanium is heavier than my 84... slightly thinner by maybe 1mm but in general, no smaller.
Old 07-28-2009 at 06:12 PM   #12
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellye View Post
Not really... My TI-89 Titanium is heavier than my 84... slightly thinner by maybe 1mm but in general, no smaller.
Let me rephrase that;a standard TI graphing calculator is a little on the large side since the technology running it hasn't really been updated in the last millennium.
Old 07-28-2009 at 08:38 PM   #13
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Let me rephrase that;a standard TI graphing calculator is a little on the large side since the technology running it hasn't really been updated in the last millennium.
I have a TI-Nspire (the new ones that put the TI-8x series to shame and were just released last year) and they're still on the big side
Old 07-28-2009 at 11:14 PM   #14
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

You Can't use TI calculators becuase they are like ultimate tools for cheating. You really don't need them although you can use them if they help you but for personal use and they really arn't worth the $100. The Casio can do a lot... useful stuff anyway.
Old 07-29-2009 at 08:57 AM   #15
mellye
Elite Member

yeah. I find the normal calculators are usually fine. Except when you:
a) have a polynomial equation that you don't feel like solving
b) forget what a certain graph looks like
c) have extra time after an exam and you wanna play blockdude

I still like my graphing calculators though. They fascinate me.