MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nursing Immunization and Police Check MacDai First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 09-06-2010 08:27 AM
Police arrest ANOTHER flasher in Westdale Kathy2 General Discussion 10 06-22-2010 05:48 PM
Police NOReilly General Discussion 6 06-09-2010 03:03 PM
TOKYO POLICE CLUB coming to Mac Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 11-23-2007 03:21 PM
Police Academy 1P06 Goce Academics 3 11-13-2007 02:20 AM

UCLA Police Taser Student

Old 11-17-2006 at 10:24 PM   #1

Liked: 1 Time

UCLA Police Taser Student
I don't know any of you have seen this yet, but its been all over the net for the last few days.
Pretty scary stuff, if you ask me.
Gets you thinking about police and abuse of power and such.
I also heard that Mac 5-0 is recieving training with tasers, though i can't confirm that.
What are everyone's thoughts on this?

PROFANITY WARNING (the kid is being tasered, after all)

Old 11-17-2006 at 10:45 PM   #2
fullsmash26
Reporter, Macleans

Liked: 15 Times

Joey Coleman's Thoughts on This
The tasering at UCLA is a reflection about American society as a whole not campus culture. One only has to view one episode of COPS to see how much tasers are used in the US.
In terms of Mac 50 learning about tasers. That is definitely not true as that would require the approval of the Hamilton Police Services Board which, at least in open session, as not discussed such an idea.
Old 11-19-2006 at 11:13 AM   #3
ska2kroq

Liked: 0 Times

wow
thats sooo disturbing.......im still lost for words......in the last 10 seconds... did I just here the police tell a protestor to bacl off or else he'll get tased too.....tsk tsk tsk
Old 11-19-2006 at 01:27 PM   #4

Yeah, you heard right.
Apparently the guy who was tasered was of Iranian descent, and is now sueing the pants off the UCLA police force for brutality and racial profiling.
Old 11-19-2006 at 04:49 PM   #5
JenniferW

Ya, that one guy did say to stand back or he would be tasered as well. They seem to be treating the tasering as some sort of casual thing that they can do to anyone who they think is not co-operating.
Old 11-19-2006 at 04:51 PM   #6
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

I think tasers are a good alternative to beating people with batons or using guns. However, tasers aren't to be used just for the sake of using them when people don't co-operate on petty things. This video is definately showing how tasers can be abused.
Old 11-19-2006 at 05:38 PM   #7

Yeah, i hear that. They're better than battons and guns. They're also more humane that MACE, since when you turn off a taser the pain stops right away, whereas with MACE the effects can last for a while a while.
Regardless, this is deffinately a clear example of police brutality.
Old 11-22-2006 at 01:19 AM   #8
AdamF
MacInsiders Street Team

are you kidding me?
Old 12-01-2006 at 05:23 PM   #9
Bones89

This is quite scary. Thank goodness we dont use tasers like that at mac