Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
***Roomate wanted*** otieno Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 3 01-21-2011 04:43 PM
Daily game Jan 20 : Dungeon Developer Chad Daily Game 0 01-20-2011 04:32 AM

Wanted: iOS Developer

Old 03-10-2011 at 01:40 PM   #1
gillybean

Liked: 1 Time

Wanted: iOS Developer
Hey! I am looking to start up a company this summer in Hamilton in developing apps for the iPad and iPhone (and hopefully Mac as well). The only problem I have at the moment is that I do not know how to program. If you know how to program and are interested in gaining some experience to put on a resume, please contact me as soon as you can and we can discuss in more detail! I have started writing up a business plan and I am planning on applying for grants and looking for investors as well.

Also, if anyone has designed an app before and has any pointers, let me know!

Thanks!!
Old 03-14-2011 at 02:06 PM   #2
snaps

Liked: 32 Times

This field is too competitive. There are too many developers that don't have the business overhead costs. Unless you have a good idea for an application, I think this is not a good business plan.

What could you bring to a developer that he/she can't do by him/herself?

I hope you can prove me wrong.
Old 03-14-2011 at 02:12 PM   #3
snaps

I found what you are looking to do:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillybean View Post
I downloaded the McMaster University App for iphone and it is useless.
http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/mcmas...388970328?mt=8

Does anyone who actually knows how to create apps (i.e. engineers and/or multimedia students) want to make a better one? Perhaps one that includes easy access to MacInsiders, Avenue2Learn, MUGSI and the mac websites?

Just thought id throw the idea out there incase anyone wanted to make some money. As an iphone users, I would even pay for an app that actually allowed me to access Avenue and MUGSI on my phone in a secure, fast and easier way then through the regular web browser on the phone.

If I knew how to make apps/had the time and patience to make one, I would.

Anyone up for the challenge?

I do not own an Iphone/ipad, but have you tried Opera Mini? This might be what you are looking for.

Here are some more alternatives:

http://blog.templatemonster. com/20...atives-safari/
Old 03-14-2011 at 02:24 PM   #4
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

^
@snaps, poster is looking for an app now a browser. But a Comprehensive McMaster University App sounds like a great idea.

I have actually just bought XCode 4 and plan on learning xcode for the summer. I already have some coding experience in C++ and Java so it shouldn't be too bad getting into xcode. If there are other developers who would like to work together im sure we would be able to work along just well. Gillian, please keep me posted, as i would love to work on this! It is something i have been thinking of getting into my self, and would be great to work with someone rather than myself

Gillybean, I am not sure if your interested but if you require a website, i would love to provide everything for that, such as The domain registering, web hosting space etc.

I am not that great at website designing, ill only be able to provide the basic's using iweb. It is just something i do on the side for fun.

Last edited by Crzyrio : 03-14-2011 at 02:27 PM.

snaps says thanks to Crzyrio for this post.
Old 03-14-2011 at 02:52 PM   #5
snaps

From the user's perspective, I understand that it would be nice to click on a dedicated McMaster App rather than the browser.

Developing an interface for an existing website is not feasible. Any changes to the McMaster website would break down your application. I am assuming that you want to continue to support the application past your studies at McMaster. However, you will not have access to McMaster's websites to update the application with new changes.

You could try to approach McMaster with this idea to help you bypass the website and access the content directly. However, this would be a very complex application on both sides. (On the application side and also on the McMaster side) The first thing they will say is "Why not just use the web browser? Why go through all this trouble and provide the same functionality as the website."

Is it just to make 99 cents per download? I am not quite sure about the statistics, but lets say there are 5000 new students each year. Let's say about 200 students buy the application. Instead, if you apply to a minimum wage job, you can get the same profit in less than three days.
Old 03-14-2011 at 03:03 PM   #6
gillybean

Liked: 1 Time

that was an idea I had a long time ago, the company I am looking to start will not be associated with McMaster at all. The reason I am not posting the idea is for intellectual property reasons. Although I would not be opposed to creating an app for McMaster students as a start up app.
Old 03-14-2011 at 03:16 PM   #7
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

Quote:
From the user's perspective, I understand that it would be nice to click on a dedicated McMaster App rather than the browser.

Developing an interface for an existing website is not feasible. Any changes to the McMaster website would break down your application. I am assuming that you want to continue to support the application past your studies at McMaster. However, you will not have access to McMaster's websites to update the application with new changes.

You could try to approach McMaster with this idea to help you bypass the website and access the content directly. However, this would be a very complex application on both sides. (On the application side and also on the McMaster side) The first thing they will say is "Why not just use the web browser? Why go through all this trouble and provide the same functionality as the website."

Is it just to make 99 cents per download? I am not quite sure about the statistics, but lets say there are 5000 new students each year. Let's say about 200 students buy the application. Instead, if you apply to a minimum wage job, you can get the same profit in less than three days.
Yeah i agree, there is no way to do this easily without the help of McMaster, as for the profit part. For something like a McMaster app, it would just be a side object that would be worked on in spare time as there isnt much scope for something like this.

Quote:
that was an idea I had a long time ago, the company I am looking to start will not be associated with McMaster at all. The reason I am not posting the idea is for intellectual property reasons. Although I would not be opposed to creating an app for McMaster students as a start up app.
Gillian, I am not sure what level of coding you will require for your idea but I do not mind putting in time to help with this business idea you might have. I am also fairly well informed abut iOS as well entrepreneurship's.
Old 03-14-2011 at 04:00 PM   #8
GCSM
Half Life 3 Confirmed

Liked: 95 Times

on a side note apparently there is a McMaster app, but it sucks
Old 03-14-2011 at 04:23 PM   #9
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Open source ftw.