MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Favourite TV shows? ShesTheMan Movies & Television 44 10-08-2010 10:48 AM
One of my favourite videos Katia Computers & Tech 3 04-15-2010 12:30 PM
Favourite Album(s)? (Recommendations Welcome) Proxy Music 48 01-25-2010 07:54 PM
What is your favourite... xxsumz General Discussion 13 06-04-2009 11:08 PM
Vote for your favourite TA Chad Academics 0 02-11-2008 06:33 PM

Your Favourite Profs

Old 04-12-2011 at 04:07 PM   #211
oranges

Liked: 34 Times

Dr. Stover for Chem 1AA3. Absolutely hilarious (in his own weird way). He may not be as good as Lock in terms of teaching, but he's definitely one of my favourites so far.

Also, Dr. Allen for Philos 1A03. An amazing prof and one of the most knowledgeable and passionate that I've had so far.
Old 04-12-2011 at 04:29 PM   #212
dhyong

Liked: 19 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciMania View Post
what didn't you like about Dr. Dej?

i agree, the bio dept doesn't have very many good profs, but I do find Dr. Dej to be good at explaining things, her tests are fair...exams are another story
She's a bit overrated. Her lectures are bland and not engaging, her tests are purely memorization and don't require critical thought at all. Long answer questions basically require a list of specific terms for each mark mark and don't take into account your understanding of the concepts. Walking out of her exams or tests, I immediately forget everything I memorized because it's so mundane.

She turned 3HH3, which could have been an interesting advanced cell biology course, into a Drosophila anatomy and embryology course. Her tests are easy though, and she is decent at explaining things, if you manage to pay attention.

Old 04-12-2011 at 05:17 PM   #213
marcie

Liked: 119 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciMania View Post
i agree, the bio dept doesn't have very many good profs, but I do find Dr. Dej to be good at explaining things, her tests are fair...exams are another story
what's wrong with her exams?

(writing genetics exam on thursday morning)

Old 04-12-2011 at 06:52 PM   #214
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsftw View Post
Now I feel bad. Sorry. :(

I guess my post sounded too serious...? I apologize too!

(That is to say, you didn't need to feel bad or say sorry.)

Ahem.
I'm totally like this right now----->

(And I love the emoticons on MI. So...expressive....)
Old 04-12-2011 at 07:02 PM   #215
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcie View Post
what's wrong with her exams?

(writing genetics exam on thursday morning)
ahh sorry i don't mean to scare you...but i found w/ cell bio and genetics the exam was just BRUTAL, cell bio was easy but LONG as hell. Genetics was the same, long as hell, despite the fact that she said it was "designed to be a 2h exam" (riiiiiiight....). there were things on that exam that just required a lot of thought and time, and i remember walking out of there feeling really shitty about it. in the end, it all worked out (mark wise), but my grade definitely dropped at least 2 points.

don't worry though!! study hard and it will be okay good luck!!!

marcie says thanks to SciMania for this post.
Old 04-12-2011 at 07:34 PM   #216
Buszaj

Liked: 125 Times

By far, I'd have to say my favourite prof so far has been Dr. Dick Day; teaches a bunch of psych courses. He is a phenomenal prof. His slides are short and to the point, and he explains everything thoroughly while lecturing. You can tell he knows his shit. Clear, concise, and throws in some humour here and there. Mind you, his tests for 2AP3 were difficult, testing several smaller facts. That's the only drawback to him IMO.

He also rocks suspenders, which is badass.

SciMania likes this.
Old 04-12-2011 at 07:42 PM   #217
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buszaj View Post
By far, I'd have to say my favourite prof so far has been Dr. Dick Day; teaches a bunch of psych courses. He is a phenomenal prof. His slides are short and to the point, and he explains everything thoroughly while lecturing. You can tell he knows his shit. Clear, concise, and throws in some humour here and there. Mind you, his tests for 2AP3 were difficult, testing several smaller facts. That's the only drawback to him IMO.

Doesn't he have a 3M teaching award? :O
Old 04-12-2011 at 09:58 PM   #218
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Oooh, I've heard of Dr. Dick Day! My friend calls him 'Santa Claus', she thinks he's awesome too! I can't wait to attend his class next year, hopefully!
Old 04-12-2011 at 10:45 PM   #219
Mazer

Liked: 60 Times

Dr. Soltys
Old 04-12-2011 at 10:54 PM   #220
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

Childs is a good lecturer, not so good one on one.
Ben mares is the opposite from above
provotas is good 1v1 and lectures
Old 04-13-2011 at 07:09 AM   #221
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:

I think his testing style is so terrible that I would never ever take another course with him. There's just no point if half the test is going to be on random statistics that he tells us probably aren't even accurate anyways. He's a decent lecturer, but nothing special. IMO, the best part of his course was the guest lectures.
Old 04-13-2011 at 03:53 PM   #222
Juicebox

Liked: 179 Times

Quote:

He also rocks the socks and sandals like its nobody's business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
I think his testing style is so terrible that I would never ever take another course with him. There's just no point if half the test is going to be on random statistics that he tells us probably aren't even accurate anyways. He's a decent lecturer, but nothing special. IMO, the best part of his course was the guest lectures.
I'm guessing you took 2AP3 with him? A fraction of the tests and almost none of the exam was on the statistics you have mentioned. Plus the statistics are not random, if you are serious about this field then it would be important to know the prevalence, and thus the likelihood that someone has this or that disorder.

I've had Personality with him and almost all the questions were entirely critical-thinking based and not pure memorization.
Old 04-13-2011 at 03:57 PM   #223
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicebox View Post
He also rocks the socks and sandals like its nobody's business.

I'm guessing you took 2AP3 with him? A fraction of the tests and almost none of the exam was on the statistics you have mentioned. Plus the statistics are not random, if you are serious about this field then it would be important to know the prevalence, and thus the likelihood that someone has this or that disorder.

I've had Personality with him and almost all the questions were entirely critical-thinking based and not pure memorization.
Quite a bit was on statistics, and that's not what is actually important. Also, some of his questions had multiple answers that were true, but the question asked which was or was not discussed in class...so if an answer was accurate but not mentioned in class, it was considered 'wrong'. If the point of that course was blind memorization of inaccurate statistics and other random factoids, then the tests were well-made. That is not, however, what I would like from a course or what I consider to be valuable information. I would rather not waste my time with it, so I would never take another course with him, regardless of whether or not I'm actually interested in the subject matter.
Old 04-13-2011 at 04:11 PM   #224
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

For math: Hart, Wang, Lozinski, Bronsard, Boden

Old 04-13-2011 at 04:22 PM   #225
doppelganger

Liked: 65 Times

For math Dr. Lovric, he is very clear in his explanations and is pretty funny (he doesn't even TRY to be!)

Dr. Peace for geography. His friend "Dumbledore" was a guest lecturer last semester.