MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will i lose my spot?? laura03125 Residence & Housing 4 07-01-2010 01:56 PM
MUSIC 2II3 - needs a spot shurlee Academics 0 04-28-2010 04:47 PM
Fighting for the Closest Parking Spot praetorian Automotive & Transportation 6 03-30-2010 06:46 PM
Want to get into THR&FLM 1B03? Free spot! b_sunshine55 Academics 0 12-18-2009 06:40 PM

I am in a REALLY tight spot here...

Old 06-14-2010 at 04:11 PM   #16
taylojl

Liked: 20 Times

Just a head's up about the minoring in Psychology. They don't guarentee that you will be able to earn a psychology minor. If there isn't room for whatever reason, even if you are minoring in psych they will not open a spot for you. I had this problem. If your heart is set on it, I strongly recommend that you look into taking psych classes during the summers if possible. There is alot less competition in the summer. Good luck!!
Old 06-14-2010 at 04:25 PM   #17
nlobo

Liked: 5 Times

Hi there

I totally understand your situation. I don't understand why she said your not in life science? Unless i'm understanding the situation wrong are you in B.Sc life science or honors life science? Either way, it doesn't really matter. Life Science 2D03 is on the list of courses you have to pick from for either program. I am taking 2D03 and you are right. It is a prerequisite for many of the 3rd year life science courses. I think if you explain that to them then they might open a spot for you.
Old 06-14-2010 at 05:32 PM   #18
Sintos

Liked: 85 Times

Psych 2B03 and 2C03 were open for alot of people about an hour or two ago. I checked SOLAR recently and its still open. Im just trying to get into 2AP3...
Old 06-14-2010 at 05:52 PM   #19
resh.jyoti

Liked: 29 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sintos View Post
Psych 2B03 and 2C03 were open for alot of people about an hour or two ago. I checked SOLAR recently and its still open. Im just trying to get into 2AP3...
Goddammit, i missed it.... my solar block was removed 2 minutes ago and it's full now! I'm probably going to cry in a couple minutes, but I'll be optimistic... i hope i get in....
Old 06-14-2010 at 05:54 PM   #20
resh.jyoti

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlobo View Post
Hi there

I totally understand your situation. I don't understand why she said your not in life science? Unless i'm understanding the situation wrong are you in B.Sc life science or honors life science? Either way, it doesn't really matter. Life Science 2D03 is on the list of courses you have to pick from for either program. I am taking 2D03 and you are right. It is a prerequisite for many of the 3rd year life science courses. I think if you explain that to them then they might open a spot for you.
Well im in Science II the general progam if you dont get accepted into anything, and I'm SHADOWING the life science II program.... Still, I cant stay in Science II, I have to transfer, and they wont give me the course, so I probably won't be able to... see the catch-22 here?
Old 06-14-2010 at 05:57 PM   #21
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Lose the melodrama and the caps. That's so unprofessional. I wouldn't open up a seat for you for the sole reason of how irritating you are in that e-mail.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Alchemist11, sew12 like this.
Old 06-14-2010 at 06:01 PM   #22
resh.jyoti

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Lose the melodrama and the caps. That's so unprofessional. I wouldn't open up a seat for you for the sole reason of how irritating you are in that e-mail.
Well, um, okay... thanks for the advice.

Since older students keep saying that, could you please give me an example of how to ask for a seat in a course?
Old 06-14-2010 at 06:06 PM   #23
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by resh.jyoti View Post

Since older students keep saying that, could you please give me an example of how to ask for a seat in a course?
I needed a seat in a course last year that was full. I sent an email, no more than 2-3 lines, saying something to the effect of "I need in course XXXX in order satisfy level 2 program requirements. Without this course, I will not be accepted into the program." A couple days later I got a phone call from them, saying that a spot had opened, and they would hold it for me if I still needed in to it. That was it.
Old 06-14-2010 at 06:09 PM   #24
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by resh.jyoti View Post

http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...l-28459p2.html

And shorter

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

resh.jyoti says thanks to goodnews.inc for this post.
Old 06-14-2010 at 06:11 PM   #25
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Oh, I can do that for you ^_^
But, as many people would tell you I'm as arrogant as you can get.

Also lol Cheri, that's harsh.

"I REALLY CAN'T STRESS how much I need it" - all they need is a simple confirmation that you require this for your program. You don't need it more than anyone else needs any other course.

", I didn't know what to do, and so I signed up for the following, with which I will surely fail next year - I don't want to take MOST of these, but I just selected them because they were OPEN:"

Protip: don't talk about failing in an e-mail regarding courses, if you're SO sure you're going to fail those, who says you won't fail the courses you want to get into? Or so they'll think if you keep up that attitude.

P.S., the courses you chose are actually relatively interesting and easy. If you have to keep one or two of those, don't be so upset.

"I really need to get in to the H. Life Sci program"

No you don't. You would LIKE to, just like anyone else would like to be in the program of their choice. It's not a necessity.

"I actually wanted to go into Psych, but I wouldn't have the credits anyways, but psych is my passion, I LOVE it, and it's what I want to do - which is why I want to MINOR in it - at least I'll have some exposure to it, right?"

Irrelevant; no one wants to read your life story, especially if there are hundreds of emails from angry students. They don't have the time right now. Keep it short and to the point. If anything, the whole psych angle makes it more confusing for them to know what to do.

Protip #2: be as arrogant or confident or annoyed or frustrated as you want; but never show it off during an email.

Enjoy.

resh.jyoti says thanks to Alchemist11 for this post.

goodnews.inc, sana1504, sew12 like this.
Old 06-14-2010 at 06:15 PM   #26
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Oh, I can do that for you ^_^
But, as many people would tell you I'm as arrogant as you can get.

Also lol Cheri, that's harsh.

"I REALLY CAN'T STRESS how much I need it" - all they need is a simple confirmation that you require this for your program. You don't need it more than anyone else needs any other course.

", I didn't know what to do, and so I signed up for the following, with which I will surely fail next year - I don't want to take MOST of these, but I just selected them because they were OPEN:"

Protip: don't talk about failing in an e-mail regarding courses, if you're SO sure you're going to fail those, who says you won't fail the courses you want to get into? Or so they'll think if you keep up that attitude.

P.S., the courses you chose are actually relatively interesting and easy. If you have to keep one or two of those, don't be so upset.

"I really need to get in to the H. Life Sci program"

No you don't. You would LIKE to, just like anyone else would like to be in the program of their choice. It's not a necessity.

"I actually wanted to go into Psych, but I wouldn't have the credits anyways, but psych is my passion, I LOVE it, and it's what I want to do - which is why I want to MINOR in it - at least I'll have some exposure to it, right?"

Irrelevant; no one wants to read your life story, especially if there are hundreds of emails from angry students. They don't have the time right now. Keep it short and to the point. If anything, the whole psych angle makes it more confusing for them to know what to do.

Protip #2: be as arrogant or confident or annoyed or frustrated as you want; but never show it off during an email.

Enjoy.
I enjoy the Protips.
Protip > Q tip.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 06-14-2010 at 06:43 PM   #27
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

As others have said that e-mail is long winded, highly unprofessional and just downright whiny and irritating. Blunt Cheri is right on in this case.

That said the general Humanities academic advisers e-mail worked better for me than e-mail the individual adviser I knew by name for my program. If you can find the Science advisers e-mail you may get a faster response. They first send an auto-reply saying they're experiencing a high volume of e-mail but I got an e-mail back within two days. My personal problem had already resolved itself but they had e-mailed back with a possible solution relatively quickly.
Old 06-14-2010 at 07:02 PM   #28
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

I hate to be a Debbie Downer, especially since other people have been a bit harsh/blunt, but they almost definitely won't open a spot for you anyways. Shadowing a program and minoring in a subject just aren't considered valid reasons for them to open up a spot. It sucks, but if you really want in you'll basically have to keep watching SOLAR.

Good luck with getting in though!
Old 06-14-2010 at 07:12 PM   #29
resh.jyoti

Thanks, and don't worry, at least you were nice about it .

Good luck to you too (if you need it, lol)!
Old 06-14-2010 at 07:51 PM   #30
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times

Psych 2c03 was open?!??!

wow...... :(