MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Trade Anthro 1A03 2D for Anthro 1Z03 2E DFKMcDonough Academics 6 08-10-2010 05:18 PM
Trading Anthro 1A03 1D for Anthro 1A03 2E VoyozooT Academics 0 07-06-2009 01:00 PM

Anthro 1A03

Anthro 1A03
The basics of cultural anthro
Published by lorend
06-12-2008
Published by
MacInsiders VP

Author review
Overall Rating
80%80%80%
Professor Rating
90%90%90%
Interest
100%100%100%
Easiness
70%70%70%
Average 85%
Anthro 1A03

This course is the easiest of the first year anthros. I found a lot of what was learned was simple common sense.

The prof who taught me is no longer at Mac, as she has moved on to chair a program at U Ottawa. The prof who replaced her (Rodman) I think has since now retired.

CLICK HERE
FOR THE COURSE OUTLINE

CLICK HERE
FOR MORE COURSE OUTLINES FOR ANTHRO

Specific Course Objectives

1. To introduce you to the subject matter of sociocultural anthropology. This course is designed to allow you to discover your own areas of interest within the broad sub-fields of sociocultural anthropology. It will help you make an informed decision regarding which other courses in anthropology to take at McMaster and, in some cases, whether to pursue a major in anthropology.

2. To provide you with an understanding of some of the basic concepts in anthropology, such as “culture”. We also will explore some fundamental issues in anthropology today, such as the social and cultural construction of reality, the changing nature of marriage and the family, the cultural and biological origins of human aggression, and the fate of indigenous peoples in the 21st century.

3. To foster greater understanding of ways of thought and lifestyles different from our own. By learning about other societies, we learn about ourselves. You will be exposed to a frame of reference that can lead to greater insight into your own way of life and a deeper appreciation of ways of life in other societies

DESCRIPTION
An introduction to the cross-cultural study of existing peoples, their ways of life, and the ways in which they interpret and experience the world. The course discusses a broad range of societies in order to explore some fundamental issues involving human knowledge and behaviour.

Two hours (lecture), one hour (tutorial); one term
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Anthro 1A03!

Old 06-26-2008 at 01:19 PM   #2
batman
Program: BioPsych
Year: Third

Liked: 6 Times
Anthro 1A03
Had it this summer with Professor Arratia. Good course in terms of interest, but it was fairly easy in terms of the material, most of it seemed to be common sense. The ethnography was given just as an essay question on the exam which was so much easier than having to write a report.

The problem I had with this course was that Professor never really gave us an idea of what we were to be tested on. Personally, this wasn't too problematic since I typed everything she said in class, but I can easily see how it could be a problem for anyone.

Ansa likes this.
  Reply With Quote Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 07-07-2008 at 11:28 AM   #3
feonateresa
Elite Member
Program: Cognitive Science of Language
Year: Fourth

Liked: 196 Times
I'm looking forward to this class more than I originally thought. It seems really interesting and right up my alley. <3
Old 12-20-2008 at 03:48 PM   #4
feonateresa
Elite Member

So I just finished this course this semester. Wasn't as great as I thought it would be to say the least. While some of the material was interesting, it wasn't presented well enough in the textbook or in lecture which made the course dry.

We had two midterms, worth 10% and 20% respectively, a book review essay on an ethnography worth 25%, and a final exam worth 30%. The other 15% came from tutorial which included a small group project (10%) and attendance/participation (5%).

The best part of the course was tutorial, probably because my TA was easy to listen to, and was interesting.

I can say with much certainty that this course has put me off the path of any interest in cultural anthropology. However, I am taking Anthro 1Z03 next semester, and hopefully that'll be more interesting.

Old 07-01-2009 at 07:18 PM   #5
Hazel
Faculty: Science
Year: First

Liked: 0 Times
im taking life science...and is thinking of taking anthro as one of my electives but im not sure. inorder to take anthro, do u need to be good in english and writing?
Old 07-01-2009 at 09:08 PM   #6
feonateresa
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel View Post
im taking life science...and is thinking of taking anthro as one of my electives but im not sure. inorder to take anthro, do u need to be good in english and writing?
Hmm. I would say yes, you have to do readings every week and write two essays. And a lot of it is based on how you clearly and eloquently form your arguments.

Hazel says thanks to feonateresa for this post.
Old 07-06-2009 at 07:10 PM   #7
jujumiste
Program: Commerce
Year: Third

Liked: Liked 6 Times
Are there any required material?
Old 07-06-2009 at 07:21 PM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Honours Molecular Biology and Genetics
Year: Alumni
Residence: Edwards 08-09, SOCS 09-12

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jujumiste View Post
Are there any required material?
In summer school the required texts were:

ANGELONI - ANTHROPOLOGY 2009/2010
HAVILAND - CULTURAL ANTHROPOLOGY 2ND CDN ED

jujumiste says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 07-29-2009 at 09:29 PM   #9
twitterbird
Faculty: Science
Residence: Bates

Liked: 1 Time
For Dr. Cummins class does anyone know the two books we have to read for the critical book reviews?
Old 07-29-2009 at 11:04 PM   #10
Raeann89
Program: Classics

Liked: 4 Times
I think Cummins changes the books he uses every semester or year, but just in case, the books we used in 07/08 were "Neither Man Nor Woman: The Hijras of India" by Serena Nanda, and a book on mail order brides/romance which I can't recall atm. It's unlikely that you'd use these books next year, but he will definitely use something along these lines - exotic and very interesting. I believe he chose a book on the Inuit for last year as well.
Also, the critical reports are super easy to get an A in. Just try to explore unconventional areas of the subject he assigns (you can pretty much do anything you want within that realm).
If you are registered with Cummins you'll have an awesome time! He's a fantastic lecturer. It's clear that he's passionate about his field and shares many stories about his experiences living with different tribes. Also, only half the class is lecture as for the remainder he plays different videos and documentaries.

Hope this helps!

twitterbird says thanks to Raeann89 for this post.
Old 12-21-2009 at 01:02 PM   #11
jc24
Program: Biochemistry & Biomedical Sciences

I'm in life sci and i just finished a brutal term 1 and i'm looking for a bit more relaxed term 2. i took anthro 1A03 and from the description, it seems like its an interesting course however i'm just wondering about the workload...how did u guys find it?
Old 12-26-2009 at 01:19 PM   #12
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member
Program: Science
Year: Second

Liked: 89 Times
im thinking of taking it as an elective too, but i was never one of those great writers. I used to barely get 80s in English and I am in life sciences I. Do you guys know any other good electives? Chill courses.
Old 12-28-2009 at 12:53 AM   #13
jc24
Program: Biochemistry & Biomedical Sciences

apparantly enviro sci 1a03 is not too bad...
Old 12-30-2009 at 10:00 PM   #14
shay
Program: Commerce
Residence: Moulton

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
Hmm. I would say yes, you have to do readings every week and write two essays. And a lot of it is based on how you clearly and eloquently form your arguments.

I was looking over the course review and it said that there was only one essay worth 25% to write for this course, not 2?
Old 12-30-2009 at 10:07 PM   #15
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Honours Molecular Biology and Genetics
Residence: Edwards 08-09, SOCS 09-12

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shay View Post
I was looking over the course review and it said that there was only one essay worth 25% to write for this course, not 2?
http://www.socsci.mcmaster.c a/anth...brary/1A03.pdf

Two short essays, 15% and 25%

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search