MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transfer from college? Leibniz Academics 6 09-26-2010 09:17 PM
Action Required-Sectioning Conflict amyshi Academics 13 08-10-2010 01:02 PM
Coldex Fridge Policy - Action Now! (from the IRC) sarrah66 MacInsiders Announcements 10 08-03-2010 08:31 PM
Table Tennis Club back in action Chad MacInsiders Announcements 4 07-04-2009 09:46 PM

College pro or 'action go'

Old 10-08-2009 at 11:25 PM   #136
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm123 View Post
Usually when someone uses their time efficiently they are not out doing work that they can hire people to do. If this person has painters who do the painting for them and marketers who do the marketing for them, then there is no need for them to be out painting 8 hours a day to get the job done and 13 hours a week to get marketing done. It seems like in this situation he decided to spend his time "managing" the overall business and out sourcing what aspects of the business he could. The website may say a small franchise can make $16,000 but I believe it also states some type of time commitment that is required. I would assume a time commitment to a job like this would be 40 hours a week in order to make a profit of $16,000. But he is claiming he made less than $16,000 but he is also stating he worked less hours. It seems like a fair statement to me.
NO IT DOES NOT list the number of hours required for a small outlet category, but heck its atleast better then the other company that just had this binomial like graph that didn't even list the hours and just had a co-relation of "low-high hours" on the Y Axis and Profit on the X axis; I lolled so hard at that being a stats student!

Have you even read the link? Why should I be even wasting my time discussing anything if you are misreporting facts because you never opened the link?

Also don't you see the problem with "marketing ethics" here? "Small" is a relative term, everyone has a different definition of what small means! Most People are risk averse to some extent and using the word "Small" does go a long way in loosening them up! Plus do you even know the business model of these companies? They always hire student painters no matter what size their operation is; one guy can't paint even ONE house in exact 20 hours(Just saying that as a random guesstimate; not as a factual statement, I apologize if that is incorrect )! Sooo lol you make no sense when you start dropping business cliches like outsourcing and "managing" at me lol! Managing what exactly? Its painting not a Million Dollar Company Jeeeez

But its not about his statement or the fairness or unfairness of it; looking beyond the fineprint what essentially the company is saying is that the "Small" Operation nets you $16,500 and you can go above and beyond that!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Last edited by huzaifa47 : 10-08-2009 at 11:29 PM.
Old 10-08-2009 at 11:41 PM   #137
cm123

Liked: 0 Times

Misreporting facts I think is an issue you may have more than myself. You have not yet said that you have worked for one of these companies before so you can't say you personally know what their business models are like. You have only heard stories from other people and I personally know the other side to some of the ones that have been put up here. And anything that you can read on these websites is going to come across a different way to each person depending on how they think.

I do not agree with everything that is done for marketing by these companies by I feel these companies do offer a good opportunity to the right kind of person.

As for knowing the business model and how they operate I personally know very well, most likely better than anyone who has posted about this topic yet since I have previously worked for one of these companies for multiple years. I have good and negative experiences with them but I kept the job for the time that I did because of the experience it gave me.
Old 10-09-2009 at 12:37 AM   #138
huzaifa47

Quote:
Misreporting facts I think is an issue you may have more than myself. You have not yet said that you have worked for one of these companies before so you can't say you personally know what their business models are like. You have only heard stories from other people and I personally know the other side to some of the ones that have been put up here. And anything that you can read on these websites is going to come across a different way to each person depending on how they think.

I do not agree with everything that is done for marketing by these companies by I feel these companies do offer a good opportunity to the right kind of person.

As for knowing the business model and how they operate I personally know very well, most likely better than anyone who has posted about this topic yet since I have previously worked for one of these companies for multiple years. I have good and negative experiences with them but I kept the job for the time that I did because of the experience it gave me.

Haha clearly you aren't getting the point! The "Business model" here is what is reported on the website or learnt while talking to someone at the table in the student centre for half an hour. In other words It is the Marketing Model; The model portrayed to any potential student looking to join; What use is the "Model" I will understand by working for these companies? It doesn't really matter because the understanding of the model I will get from these Reps is what will make me sign the contract and it is that model that I have a concern with!

And I love how you first claimed that the Size/Profit page has number of hours worked on it and when I called you out on that you conviniently ignored it in your next post and instead called me out for misrepresenting "facts" when all I'm doing is practicing my right to speech and critique of my rationalization of the companies marketing strategy based on impersonal accounts on this forum, pesonal observations, going throught the websites, alot of accounts on consumer report websites,news sources, reading the handouts, talking directly to the rep in the student centre for a good amount of time!

And lastly the theory of "everyone has a different point of view" is pretty debatable simply because I was evaluating the stats/graphs from the angle of a random bystander how it comes across to them; And I was also applying the rules and laws of Descriptive Statistics, which once again is something you cannot argue against, if you want to in your next Commerce Assignment I would ask you to present a graph/table that looks like that to back your statements! I would love to see how well you do! .

What exactly do you see in those graphs/figures if I may ask?

Old 10-09-2009 at 06:45 AM   #139
cm123

Yes my mistake the link you posted earlier doesn't contain information on the hours people should work on the page where it talks about profit, and the page where it does talk about the amount of time required only mentions medium and large outlets. It still seems like common sense though that if you are going to attempt to run a business it would require a considerable time commitment.

So the business model which everyone seems to have a problem with. I was wondering how this is explained from their booth that they use? I am just curious as to how this is being "marketed" at their booths these days compared to when I first encountered them years ago.
Old 10-09-2009 at 06:56 PM   #140
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdisab View Post
University First Class Painters/MDP is definitely not a scam!

The company is totally legit. It actually gives you all the training and tools necessary to run your own business.

I personally made over 6,000.00 net after tax profit last year with minimal input (20 hours a week). And gained more experience in one summer with MDP than all of first year commerce ever taught me.

My fellow first year managers also made 39,000 and 21,000. Yes there is a failure rate with any business, in fact in the scope of starting a small business there is a much higher failure rate than at MDP/University First Class painters, but you would not be able to have an opportunity to make this kind of money without taking some form of risk.

Anyone who says that University First Class Painters is a scam does so because their bad experience with the company means they are not fit to run a business at this point in time and is not a credible source of information.

My name is Zac D. I go to McMaster University taking BComm at Degroote. I worked this past summer as the franchise manager in Ancaster/Hamilton. If anyone would like to question me email me at [email protected]

Cheers.
I don't know what to say about College Pro. I think the fact that you made $6,000 is great.
But I want to know how you get so many niave students to work there.
All I know isThis company is very sneaky and I don't think it's worth checking out.

Do you see how this kind of marketing can be seen as manipulative? This is literally the shady marketing strategy College Pro uses.
Old 10-09-2009 at 07:33 PM   #141
huzaifa47

Quote:
Yes my mistake the link you posted earlier doesn't contain information on the hours people should work on the page where it talks about profit, and the page where it does talk about the amount of time required only mentions medium and large outlets. It still seems like common sense though that if you are going to attempt to run a business it would require a considerable time commitment.
Well once again there is no apparent co-relation between the two anywhere in the link. It doesn't even link medium/large with time required anywhere all it says is:
Quote:
Note: the amount of time you spend painting depends on the size of your outlet: the smaller the outlet, the more painting hours are required from you.
Also you'll be surprised at how easy it is to assume "common sense" when you are talking about random unknown people! What appears common sense to you is not to them! But that's not really the point; the point is that even with the number of hours someone works there is no guarantee of profit massive profit. But that is another issue in itself.

Old 10-16-2009 at 07:45 PM   #142
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

Check out the Better Business Bureau's review: http://www.bbb.org/western-ontario/b...ondon-on-15253
Old 10-17-2009 at 10:41 AM   #143
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

ZOMG!

The BBB is clearly spreading lies and misinformation. The people that filed complaints against College Pro are clearly liars, it's all hearsay!!1111

For real though, thanks for posting that link. The BBB is a good source.

temara.brown says thanks to sew12 for this post.
Old 11-15-2009
mclolsterz5
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 11-15-2009 at 02:02 PM   #144
jade177

Liked: 8 Times

Hahaha, is this actually serious?
Old 11-15-2009
mclolsterz5
Old 11-15-2009
mclolsterz5
Old 11-15-2009 at 05:42 PM   #145
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Well, he seems to type like a 13 year old at least....

wtf are you doing on a mcmaster forum???? o_O
Old 11-15-2009 at 07:34 PM   #146
gmon

I just read this thread for the first time from beginning to this brilliant conclusion... sometimes reading these forums really hurts my brains..
Old 11-16-2009
mclolsterz5