MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Comp Sci 1TA3 jasonfung 1st Year Course Reviews 6 09-03-2012 08:55 PM
COMP SCI 1TA3 vs COMP SCI 1MA3 ShockValue Academics 0 06-08-2012 08:08 PM
Question about Comp Sci 1Ta3 BrownTown993 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 04-25-2012 12:14 AM
Are podcasts available in Comp Sci 1TA3? samir2 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 10-30-2010 05:03 PM
Comp Sci 1ta3?? ishk33 Academics 3 08-15-2008 08:45 PM

Comp Sci 1TA3

Old 11-23-2014 at 06:13 PM   #1
macman

Liked: 1 Time

Comp Sci 1TA3
Hey, just wondering about comp sci 1TA3, I don't NEED to take this course, but I need to have some basic knowledge of html and such for co-ops/internships; so how is this course? How's the prof? is a 12 manageable if I have a few other hard courses at the same time, or not really?

Also, what courses would you guys recommend for learning the basics python? Any other interesting courses which would teach the basics of other computer languages?

Thanks

manutdpk10 likes this.
Old 11-24-2014 at 12:52 PM   #2
nikJ

Liked: 85 Times

Eng 1D04 teaches Python and principles of programming pretty well. The prof, Dr Smith puts in considerable effort to make the course better year after year.

As far as CS 1TA3 goes, if John Nakamura is teaching it, stay away from the course. Simply put, he's an a*****e. I've been one of his TAs and he is just a bitter person from the inside who's always looking to screw over his students. As the head of the TAs he was fine though.
Old 11-24-2014 at 04:05 PM   #3
macman

Liked: 1 Time

How is Eng 1D04 overall? Are the labs tough? I haven't had a lab course in university yet, so what should I expect? If i put my work in, can I get a 12? thanks
Old 11-24-2014 at 04:14 PM   #4
GCSM
Half Life 3 Confirmed

Liked: 95 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by macman View Post
How is Eng 1D04 overall? Are the labs tough? I haven't had a lab course in university yet, so what should I expect? If i put my work in, can I get a 12? thanks
You won't be able to take 1D04 unless you are in Eng.
Old 11-24-2014 at 08:53 PM   #5
Moghue

Liked: 17 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikJ View Post
if John Nakamura is teaching it, stay away from the course. Simply put, he's an a*****e. I've been one of his TAs and he is just a bitter person from the inside who's always looking to screw over his students.

I agree with this completely. I missed a deadline by 2 hrs. for an assignment due to the flu (completely forgot the timing, my fault) but I had it completed anyways. I figured I would just take the hit, use the MSAF, and not hand in the work I had completed.

He assured me that there was no need to do this and I would still be able to hand it in late and he "understood my circumstances". So I submitted my work about 3 hrs after the deadline.

Then he turned around and marked it at an 85% while taking 50% off for late submission.

Old 11-25-2014 at 12:04 AM   #6
nikJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moghue View Post
I agree with this completely. I missed a deadline by 2 hrs. for an assignment due to the flu (completely forgot the timing, my fault) but I had it completed anyways. I figured I would just take the hit, use the MSAF, and not hand in the work I had completed.

He assured me that there was no need to do this and I would still be able to hand it in late and he "understood my circumstances". So I submitted my work about 3 hrs after the deadline.

Then he turned around and marked it at an 85% while taking 50% off for late submission.

Sounds about right. I remember he used to ask the TAs ways to "have fun" with students by troubling them in some stupid ways (don't remember what they were, as it happened a while ago). That's what made me realize that he was just a sad person.
Old 11-25-2014 at 01:17 PM   #7
allanandthera

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by macman View Post
Hey, just wondering about comp sci 1TA3, I don't NEED to take this course, but I need to have some basic knowledge of html and such for co-ops/internships; so how is this course? How's the prof? is a 12 manageable if I have a few other hard courses at the same time, or not really?

Also, what courses would you guys recommend for learning the basics python? Any other interesting courses which would teach the basics of other computer languages?

Thanks
I believe that 1TA3 is equivalent to Commerce 1BA3, I took the course last year when it was last offered to commerce students and I got a 10 in that course. I am actually one of the few that actually have a 10+, the prof I had would try to lower average with random questions on midterms and what not. The HTML is so basic that it would be of no value compared to learning it on your own, although the excel and access is quite useful but you can learn that on your own...

This is a full on memory course...
Old 11-25-2014 at 03:01 PM   #8
nikJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanandthera View Post
I believe that 1TA3 is equivalent to Commerce 1BA3, I took the course last year when it was last offered to commerce students and I got a 10 in that course. I am actually one of the few that actually have a 10+, the prof I had would try to lower average with random questions on midterms and what not. The HTML is so basic that it would be of no value compared to learning it on your own, although the excel and access is quite useful but you can learn that on your own...

This is a full on memory course...
This is not true. 1TA3 is different from 1BA3.
Old 11-25-2014 at 09:15 PM   #9
allanandthera

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikJ View Post
This is not true. 1TA3 is different from 1BA3.
I am talking about the now dysfunctional comp sci 1ba3, sorry, not commerce 1ba3; I mixed up the course code.