MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
degrees angelrocks24 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 07-14-2010 07:29 PM
Completing Undergrad early oli13 Academics 4 07-01-2010 07:51 PM
Double Degrees njd123 General Discussion 7 09-12-2009 02:18 PM
best undergrad degrees by pay lorend Academics 40 09-10-2009 06:36 PM
Multiple Degrees Goce Academics 9 07-11-2009 09:04 PM

Completing two degrees at once

Old 05-15-2013 at 02:39 AM   #1
airvcarmelo

Liked: 42 Times

Completing two degrees at once
So I wanted to do a biology bsc and bcomm commerce. I'm heading into my 3rd year of life science and am wondering if my commerce courses I've taken (as electives for my biology program) would carry over to my second degree. I understand you have to reapply to the school and start again for the program but could this work?
Old 05-15-2013 at 04:09 AM   #2
macxlife

Liked: 0 Times

I don't think you can, I read somewhere that you cannot do certain degrees at once, including a sci degree and bcomm.

also, after second year (and many second year coures), you must either be minoring in business, in commerce or be in eng mgmt to do upper year courses.

besides, you would need to complete 120 units of commerce courses, wouldn't that be hard to fit?

what courses have you taken?
Old 05-15-2013 at 06:32 AM   #3
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

What you described isn't "doing two degrees at once", if I understood you correctly you plan on finishing your BSc and then coming back for BComm.

You should see an academic advisor (ideally in the commerce faculty) to determine what would carry over. I know some people who get hons BScs and then come back for one more year to get their BA, and they just use credits from their first degree towards their second, which is why it only takes them one year and not the usual three years.
Old 05-15-2013 at 08:04 AM   #4
keiser=)

Liked: 12 Times

I don't think you can, Degroote School of Business won't allow someone to be granted by second undergraduate degree in commerce....Look at their website or the undergraduate calendar, the faculty might recommend you to get an MBA instead...if you possess 4 year honours undergraduate degree.
Old 05-15-2013 at 12:22 PM   #5
airvcarmelo

Liked: 42 Times

Isn't it extremely tough to get into an MBA program without management experience.
Old 05-15-2013 at 12:35 PM   #6
Brendan

Liked: 13 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by airvcarmelo View Post
Isn't it extremely tough to get into an MBA program without management experience.
Typically yes. But DeGroote (and some other schools) have a Co-Op MBA (http://mbarecruit.degroote.m cmaste...co-op-program/) option that requires little or no work experience.

Last edited by Brendan : 05-15-2013 at 12:50 PM.