MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Easy Second Year Electives TLulu Academics 1 06-30-2010 12:50 PM
easy electives for first year luna First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 06-29-2010 11:29 PM
Easy First Year Electives? Sweetie321 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-26-2009 06:35 PM
easy 2nd year electives megzx89 Academics 1 12-29-2008 11:02 PM
Easy first-year Social Sciences Electives? Mr.Prodigy Academics 6 12-08-2008 07:36 AM

Easy First Year Electives

Old 06-22-2008 at 01:58 PM   #181
Moo!io

Liked: 21 Times

Since a lot of you seem to have previous experience with electives, what courses would you suggest taking to balance out all the hard courses that are required for Life Sci?

I'm okay with writing essays, I just don't find it entertaining/fun to do. Also, like Leah, I love photo editing and working with media, so any suggestions would be great.

Last edited by Moo!io : 06-22-2008 at 02:03 PM.
Old 06-22-2008 at 04:39 PM   #182
salimak

Liked: 21 Times

lampk, I have the same thing but I dont have physics first term (unless its only offered first term, then i better check ;P) Hmmm
Old 06-22-2008 at 05:42 PM   #183
samantha__
Elite Member

Liked: 9 Times

If you're into photo editing and such, take a multimedia course.
Old 06-22-2008 at 09:37 PM   #184
Husnia

Liked: 2 Times

Can anyone explain Math 1F03 and Math 1K03?
There are so many different explanations on prerequisites for the two courses, it's so confusing! It says if you haven't taken Calc/Vectors to take Math 1F03, but if you haven't taken Calc/Vectors OR AdvFunctions to take Math 1K03. Help!!
Old 06-22-2008 at 10:07 PM   #185
moonlight

Liked: 0 Times

Enviro Sci 1A03 and 1B03
Hi!
Actually I was wondering which one is easier between Enviro Sci 1A03 and 1B03. It would be really helpful if someone could elaborate on what both the courses actually contain and how they are run and stuff, which could help me get a better insight into both the courses...thanks..
Old 06-22-2008 at 10:34 PM   #186
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Husnia, can you name the two grade 12 calc courses, and their order for us? I know it would help me a lot in the explanation.

From what I understand, you would take 1F03 if you haven't taken either, but would take 1K03 if you haven't taken the later. 1K03 was equivalent to OAC calc when I started, and I assume was equivalent to Grade 12 calc in 2007.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-22-2008 at 10:38 PM   #187
Husnia

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Husnia, can you name the two grade 12 calc courses, and their order for us? I know it would help me a lot in the explanation.

From what I understand, you would take 1F03 if you haven't taken either, but would take 1K03 if you haven't taken the later. 1K03 was equivalent to OAC calc when I started, and I assume was equivalent to Grade 12 calc in 2007.
I believe this year it had been changed to Calculus & Vectors, and then Advanced Functions. I took the original course from the year before, which was Advanced Functions & Intro to Calculus.
Old 06-23-2008 at 12:49 AM   #188
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Okay. So then it seems as though you don't need to take either having completed grade 12 calc.

I would suggest contacting a faculty advisor to double check, however.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-23-2008 at 07:27 AM   #189
sinsintome

Liked: 15 Times

to chad -- or whomever:

how was theatre and film 1b03? i'm in 2nd year bio and i'm looking for an (easy) 2nd term elective.

so i have a few quesitons:
did this course have any papers to write?
how were the tests/exams? (written/MC, etc)
were there any group projects?
what kind of films were analyzed?

also: is there any way for me to get in to mmedia 1b03? that was my initial choice for my 2nd term elective, but it was filled up by the time i managed to get into SOLAR. is it possible to write to the humanities faculty and ask for an opening, or would i just have to try my luck and keep refreshing SOLAR?

thanks alot!

Last edited by sinsintome : 06-23-2008 at 07:40 AM.
Old 06-23-2008 at 08:19 AM   #190
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah.d View Post
Question for chad since he seems to know alot:
have you heard any thing about gerontology 1B03?
i took 1a03 and it was okay but i heard 1b03 was more about how aging affects the body. I think that would be more down my route because i am in kin. it seemed like it was an esay form of everything we have already learned but applied to older people. what do you think?
Though I didn't take this course, I've heard from people that this course is fairly easy and interesting. Here's what I've been able to gather:

In this course you learn about aging and the processes involved. There are tests, and the questions are based on the textbook and lecture notes, so attending lecture is key. There is also a reflection paper assignment, and an exam. There are no tutorials. Tests and exams are multiple choice and not too difficult. Also something interesting about this course is that you have to choose to do either volunteer community services or participate in a discussion group where you talk about various topics with a leader facilitating discussion.

Quote:
i am very interested in making websites and editing photos have you heard anything about MMEDIA 1A03?
i would love to take MMEDIA 1B03 but it seems very labour intensive and i don't even know if i have the prerequisites for it (probably have to take 1A03 first right?)
You don't need MM1A to take 1B. I have a review of 1B in the reviews section. As for 1A, I'll see if I can put together a review for you. You're basically creating a website and learning some web basics. Both are good courses and it sounds like you're into web design and photoshop so why not take both?

Quote:
Theater and film 1 B03 looks awesome! can i take that if im in kin? or do i have to take 1a03 (and is that one not good?)
also if i can take it, are there lots of essays? im not so hot with essays but i can do them if they aren't crazy like the one from Enviro SCI 1B03. that one toook forever!!!
According to the course calendar, Theater and Film 1B03 does not have any prereq's so you should be able to take it. And yes, there is an essay but not a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zango View Post
do you have to be good at drawing or anything for media 1bo3?
No you do not need to be good at drawing, you're only manipulating photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsintome View Post
to chad -- or whomever:

how was theatre and film 1b03? i'm in 2nd year bio and i'm looking for an (easy) 2nd term elective.

so i have a few quesitons:
did this course have any papers to write?
how were the tests/exams? (written/MC, etc)
were there any group projects?
what kind of films were analyzed?

also: is there any way for me to get in to mmedia 1b03? that was my initial choice for my 2nd term elective, but it was filled up by the time i managed to get into SOLAR. is it possible to write to the humanities faculty and ask for an opening, or would i just have to try my luck and keep refreshing SOLAR?

thanks alot!
Seems like a few people want reviews on Theater and Film 1B03 and MMEDIA 1A03 so i'll put together reviews for those. Look in the reviews section.

You look at experimental film and some old films, it isn't blockbuster films like what you'd expect to see in the theatres right now. However the films are interesting, some are weird.. but you get to see a variety of styles and genres
Old 06-23-2008 at 08:51 AM   #191
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

New reviews:

MMEDIA 1A03

THTR&FILM 1A03 and 1B03
Old 06-24-2008 at 05:12 PM   #192
pinkshuniza

Okay, :$ I need some help..
If I'm in the Science Faculty,
am I allowed to take Inquiry 1HU3? and Peace Studies 1B03 as part of my electives?

Since it says on the life science website that :

6 units Electives (See Program Note 1 above.)

Yet it doesn't say if it has to be from the Science faculty ?
Old 06-24-2008 at 09:20 PM   #193
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkshuniza View Post
Okay, :$ I need some help..
If I'm in the Science Faculty,
am I allowed to take Inquiry 1HU3? and Peace Studies 1B03 as part of my electives?

Since it says on the life science website that :

6 units Electives (See Program Note 1 above.)

Yet it doesn't say if it has to be from the Science faculty ?
If it doesn't say that it needs to be from the science faculty, it can be anything! so yes, you can take your peace studies class and inquiry as long as you have the prerequisites and its not full yet.

It would specificy if it needs to be from the Science faculty.
Old 06-24-2008 at 09:53 PM   #194
leah.d

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Also something interesting about this course is that you have to choose to do either volunteer community services or participate in a discussion group where you talk about various topics with a leader facilitating discussion.

I took gerontol 1A03 and we had to volunteer or do the discussion group for THAT class. i thought it was only for 1 a03 not 2b03 too?
Old 06-24-2008 at 10:19 PM   #195
pinkshuniza

Thank you Eva !
That's amazing!