MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Easy Second Year Electives TLulu Academics 1 06-30-2010 12:50 PM
easy electives for first year luna First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 06-29-2010 11:29 PM
Easy First Year Electives? Sweetie321 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-26-2009 06:35 PM
easy 2nd year electives megzx89 Academics 1 12-29-2008 11:02 PM
Easy first-year Social Sciences Electives? Mr.Prodigy Academics 6 12-08-2008 07:36 AM

Easy First Year Electives

Old 07-14-2007 at 11:10 PM   #16
jagk

Liked: 0 Times

Hey, I chose ANTHROP 1Z03 - The HUman Species: Becoming and Being Human as one of my electives and was wondering if it would be a smart move in switching to GERONTOL 1A03 - Aging and Society? My course load is kinda busy as it is so i was looking to take the easier of the two...any one have any suggestions?
Old 07-14-2007 at 11:12 PM   #17
nuttynatz

Liked: 2 Times

yeaa i cant decide on electives...i toook evironmental science 1G03...it sounds reallly dry and boring but i heard its easy...is tht true?
I was debating with tht or gerontology, which sounds more interesting..but i think wht matters more to me is whats easier...so any suggestions?

exuberant888 says thanks to nuttynatz for this post.
Old 07-14-2007 at 11:32 PM   #18
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

I have heard great things about Enviro Sci 1G03 (Earth and the Environment). Sounds like an easy course, workload is minimal.

As for Anthrop 1Z03, sounds interesting if it's what you like. Here's a bit of a long description of the type of things covered in Anthropology to see if its what you're interested in:

Quote:
Anthropology began as a discipline devoted to the study of "primitive" or "tribal" societies, but that period lies in the past. Today sociocultural anthropology takes as its field the ways of life of all cultural groups, including our own. Anthropology also increasingly recognizes how globalization has changed older ways of thinking and erased old boundaries. The range of human behaviour and belief is extraordinarily wide. Anthropology gives us the perspective with which to see our own culture and institutions against the background of the rest of the human species, whose beliefs and ways of doing things are often very different from our own.
Social and cultural anthropologists generally use ethnography as their major research method. Many anthropologists spend one or two years, or even more, living among the people they are studying and sharing their daily lives. In the course of this work they gather a wide range of information (on everything from the ways in which people obtain their food to their religious rituals and kinship organization). This tradition of field-work with its holistic interests and its dependence on face-to-face relations with real people, rather than on written documents and archives alone, is one of the distinctive features of cultural anthropology, and has been one of its most important contributions to scholarship. However, many anthropologists carry out more focused research, for example on important contemporary issues in our own society.
Remember, take courses you're INTERESTED IN. I made the mistake of taking some courses in my first and second years that I took clearly for the sake of them being 'easy', but they were on material I wasn't interested in. It turns out that all the courses I took with that situation in mind I got low marks in... some being my lowest marks... and the ones I took thinking they were harder but I had interest in... I got much higher marks.

So if you're interested in the material, you'll want to study it and read about it, and will remember the textbook material easier. But if its an "easy" course with materials you don't find any interest in... you will not be urged to read, nor will you want to do the homework or research properly... resulting in bad marks.

Just my two cents

k.shobi says thanks to Chad for this post.
Old 07-14-2007 at 11:41 PM   #19
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

Just thought I'd throw this in here... I just came across a humorous website called birdcourses.com which has... you guessed it... a listing of bird courses! Just what we're talking about here.

Here's their list of courses for Mac:

Course Id: ECON 2A03
Course Name:
Labour Studies
Birdiness:

Course Id: GEO 1HS3
Course Name:
Human Geography
Birdiness:

Course Id: GEO 2GG3
Course Name:
Natural Disasters
Birdiness:

Course Id: GEO 2MM3
Course Name:
Gemstones
Birdiness:

Course Id: HEALTHST 1A03
Course Name:
Introduction to Health Studies
Birdiness:

Course Id: LINGUISTIC 1A03/1AA3
Course Name:
linguisitcs
Birdiness: 4.00

Course Id: MUSIC 2I03/CMST 2RR3
Course Name:
Popular Music in NA and the UK: Pre World War II
Birdiness:

Course Id: MUSIC 2II3
Course Name:
Popular Music in NA and the UK: Post-World War II
Birdiness:

Course Id: PSYCH 1A03
Course Name:
Intro to experimental psychology
Birdiness:

Chances of these still being available are prob... nill

Chevalier, omgmt, siddu like this.
Old 07-14-2007 at 11:45 PM   #20
nuttynatz

aww my choices are not on that list.
But thanks for saying its easy Chad...i needed some reassurance on my choices coz i've been getting mixed reviews and i was a bit skeptical
Old 07-14-2007 at 11:49 PM   #21
jagk

awesome, thank you so much chad
Old 07-14-2007 at 11:51 PM   #22
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

Reason you get mixed reviews is because everyone has a different take on the class with regards to interest level and easiness.

I remember taking a class in multimedia... MMEDIA 2C03. A lot of great people in the class, outgoing and amazing prof, the material wasn't easy though. I ended up enjoying it and found most of it interesting... it was my highest mark last year, while a whole bunch of people got D's or C's in the class and said it sucked. In the end most first year courses are on the lighter side since the prof's know that it's a big transition for you.

The first paper/essay that your T.A. marks, they will usually circle things like grammar, wrong bibliography, citations, etc. but not dock you marks on them because they know you're still learning the requirements of writing a good paper... and usually start cracking down on them later in the semester.
Old 07-15-2007 at 12:39 AM   #23
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

Updated list:

ANTHROP 1A03
ANTHROP 1Z03
CMST 1A03
COMP SCI 1MA3
ENVIR SC 1A03
ENVIR SC 1B03
ENVIR SC 1G03
GEO 1HS3
GEO 1HU3
GERONTOL 1A03
HEALTHST 1A03
HTH SCI 1G03
INQUIRY 1SC3
INQUIRY 1HU3
LABR ST 1A03
LINGUISTICS 1A03
MMEDIA 1A03
MUSIC 1A03
MUSIC 1AA3
PEACE ST 1A03
PEACE ST 1B03
PSYCH 1A03
PSYCH 1AA3
THTR & FILM 1B03
Old 07-15-2007 at 04:22 PM   #24
nuttynatz

ok...now i am considering switiching from environmental science 1G03 to Lingusitics 1A03...is that a good idea? (in terms of easiness)
wow....i'm undecisive!
Old 07-15-2007 at 05:28 PM   #25
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

heh. Which topic interests you most? The environment or the study of language?
Old 07-15-2007 at 05:55 PM   #26
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

In regards to an earlier post about anthro 1Z03:

I am a fourth year anthro major, and took all three (1a03, 1b03, 1zo3) anthro courses in my first year. I found 1Z03 to be the most difficult of the three, as there is a lot of memorization involved (names, spellings, dates, characteristics or hominds) and the midterm and final tends to be pretty tough because of this.
Old 07-15-2007 at 08:34 PM   #27
nuttynatz

neither...loll...all the courses that do interest me are full...but i'll stick to environment 1G03...coz i'm too lazy to change it.
Old 07-15-2007 at 10:06 PM   #28
jagk

hey i just wanted to confirm..SOLAR is going up at midnight tonight for course changes right? that's what i read from the "dates and deadlines" package..just wanna make sure
Old 07-15-2007 at 10:32 PM   #29
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Honestly, I have no idea. It all depends on the day you registered.

After you register, you are given seven days to pick/change courses. Then you are not able to access SOLAR again for at least a week, and then can go back on again.

If you first registered two weeks ago, then I would say yes from what I know.
Old 07-16-2007 at 08:48 AM   #30
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagk View Post
hey i just wanted to confirm..SOLAR is going up at midnight tonight for course changes right? that's what i read from the "dates and deadlines" package..just wanna make sure

On the Registrar website it states:

Quote:
You have an initial 7 day window to complete your registration from your initial login to Registration/Course Selection, after this initial period you will not be able to make changes until SOLAR opens back up to you on July 16, 2007.
So yes, SOLAR re-opens to everyone on July 16th. So it should be back open now