MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Goodbye Elm... Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 03-30-2010 10:38 PM
Goodbye Paper Money - Hello Plastic sniderj Computers & Tech 28 03-07-2010 10:16 PM
Goodbye WebCT Infinity General Discussion 72 09-11-2009 05:09 PM
MacInsiders TV - Ryan Moran Says Goodbye Chad MacInsiders Announcements 9 06-09-2008 05:49 AM

Goodbye ELM!

Old 03-30-2010 at 12:57 PM   #31
zeChinaman

Liked: 7 Times

To my knowledge ELM was also "broken in" in the summer. From what I heard, D2L was written by some Waterloo CompEng/Sci grads who were fed up with their old system. Given the reputation of Waterloo CompEng (and testimonials from friends at Waterloo), it seems that D2L seems satisfactory.

Also I believe Learnlink (Firstclass) is kept for BHSS because there is more than just course content on it, thus migrating everything (academic, social, etc.) would be a tremendous hassle for the entire program...
Old 03-30-2010 at 12:57 PM   #32
Rossclot

Liked: 137 Times

we should have a RIP ELM party at the pheonix
Old 03-30-2010 at 03:53 PM   #33
Flag

Liked: 35 Times

I've used D2L before and it is AMAZING if whoevers uploading stuff knows how to use it. As long as the profs have to learn to use it, I think it'll be fantastic.

p.s. I used it on unreliable dialup for an entire year and it loaded flawlessly and quickly every single time I went on.
Old 03-30-2010
nila*
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 03-31-2010 at 12:15 AM   #34
aviaf
Richard Cioci

Liked: 50 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeChinaman View Post
To my knowledge ELM was also "broken in" in the summer. From what I heard, D2L was written by some Waterloo CompEng/Sci grads who were fed up with their old system. Given the reputation of Waterloo CompEng (and testimonials from friends at Waterloo), it seems that D2L seems satisfactory.

Also I believe Learnlink (Firstclass) is kept for BHSS because there is more than just course content on it, thus migrating everything (academic, social, etc.) would be a tremendous hassle for the entire program...
Yea, especially migrating the health sci students only folder would cause unforeseen problems, seeing as how there's gross amounts of material that would be considered academically dishonest, but you know , it's fine, cuz right now just health sci's have access.....*end annoyed tone here*
Old 03-31-2010 at 03:54 PM   #35
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossclot View Post
we should have a RIP ELM party at the pheonix
More like a good riddance party.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 03-31-2010 at 05:49 PM   #36
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaront View Post
I wish we would have gone with Sakai or Moodle, two free and widely used systems (Sakai is used by Stamford, Rutgers, Cornell, etc.)
Most of my Professors use Moodle and its so much better than both ELM and WebCT. I wish all of my Professors would use it so I'd never have to use these other crap systems.
Old 04-02-2010 at 05:01 PM   #37
madBiologist

Liked: 12 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviaf View Post
Yea, especially migrating the health sci students only folder would cause unforeseen problems, seeing as how there's gross amounts of material that would be considered academically dishonest, but you know , it's fine, cuz right now just health sci's have access.....*end annoyed tone here*

The Health Sci program here is a division of genetically engineered young undergrads who are being manipulated into becoming a team of super-doctors by the Canadian branch of the Freemasons. They're probably going to kill me in my sleep for telling you.

I'm guessing our profs decided to read into the "**** You ELM" group on Facebook and discovered it's not an excuse for forgetting things, ELM really does suck.
Old 04-03-2010 at 09:08 PM   #38
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

What they are getting rid of elm? I just finished loading into it LOL
Old 04-04-2010 at 05:48 PM   #39
Rossclot

Liked: 137 Times

elm wasn't that bad, it only bit people in the ass who left things til the last minute, if elm isn't loading, do something else while you are waiting.

it is going to cost a stank-load to replace, most professors aren't going to use the new system any more efficiently than elm, and really these systems wont help McMaster as much as other educational reform would.

I will miss ELM : (
Old 04-04-2010 at 08:10 PM   #40
aaront
CSD HYPE Web Developer

Liked: 78 Times

Quote:
I will miss ELM : (
**spits out coffee**

One word: Java. Another word: frames. A sentence: This session has expired.

lawleypop likes this.
Old 04-04-2010 at 10:52 PM   #41
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
elm wasn't that bad, it only bit people in the ass who left things til the last minute, if elm isn't loading, do something else while you are waiting.
Toyotas weren't that bad either, it only bit people in the ass who tried to brake at the last minute, if their toyota isn't braking, take your foot off the gas pedal, put the car into neutral and do something else while you are waiting for it to slowly decelerate.

Last edited by Tailsnake : 04-04-2010 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Spelling

britb likes this.
Old 04-04-2010 at 11:42 PM   #42
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
Toyotas weren't that bad either, it only bit people in the ass who tried to break at the last minute, if their toyota isn't breaking, take your foot off the gas pedal, put the car into neutral and do something else while you are waiting for it to slowly decelerate.
*Brake.