MacInsiders Logo
Old 04-10-2013 at 05:24 PM   #1
sushi

Liked: 0 Times

Interview at the Silhouette?
Hi guys!

I have been contacted for an interview at the Silhouette for an editor position and now I'm really nervous! Anyone have any advice? Has anyone been to an interview with the Silhouette?

Anything will help! Thank you!
Old 04-10-2013 at 05:31 PM   #2
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 242 Times

Well...I've served as an editor and correspondent for a number of papers...
Coming from both sides of the fence, then, I'd expect they'll want to hear about your involvement with writing, what you like to write/edit, your interests, etc...once, I had to edit a couple of short pieces so they could see my skills...
Old 04-10-2013 at 05:52 PM   #3
sushi

Thank you for replying!
The position is actually not related to writing. Just wondered what kind of questions they will ask! I'm usually not that nervous but I just got rejected for another job so I'm feeling extra self-conscious. I want to be extra prepared for this!
Old 04-10-2013 at 06:16 PM   #4
Andrew A
Elite Member

Liked: 80 Times

It's an editor position and has no relation to writing?
Old 04-10-2013 at 06:29 PM   #5
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Congrats on getting an interview. I got one last year, so here's what I remember. Most of the questions were fairly intuitive in the how well do you work in teams, do you have time to devote to this job, what else are you involved in for next year sense. They also ask you about the newspaper, what you think, what things can be improved on and what you think are good (like, if you apply for a News editor, they'll ask you about the News page). They will, of course, also be asking about your skills and why you applied to the job and why you feel you will be a good fit.

Good luck!
Old 04-10-2013 at 07:05 PM   #6
viviankw

--edit---------

Last edited by viviankw : 04-10-2013 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-10-2013 at 08:10 PM   #7
sushi

Yeah, the position is more on the visual side.

Thank you Faer! I will definitely do my research on the Sil. I was talking to a friend earlier and she said the person who got the position this year had a really big portfolio. Makes me even more nervous! But I kind of applied just for the heck of it so I'll just think of it as, at least I got an interview. Thank you for your help