MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Life Sci 3A03? Mr.Prodigy Academics 3 01-11-2011 07:08 PM
Life Sci 3A03 Health and Diseases adnaanes Academics 2 06-16-2010 11:42 PM
Can i get into life science danishtanwee General Discussion 10 09-03-2009 06:00 PM
Science...more specifically Life Science Meg543 Academics 9 08-24-2009 07:53 PM

Life Science 3A03

Old 05-29-2011 at 04:57 PM   #31
albalks

Liked: 16 Times

Life Science 3A03
Life Science 3A03:

- 5 different modules, each focusing on a type of disease/ health issue.
- We learned about schistosomiasis, xenoestrogens, epilepsy, genetically modified food, and polio
- For each module you have a test and a paper. The test was worth 12% and the...

all say thanks to albalks for this post.

likes this.
Old 06-10-2014 at 07:40 PM   #30
Swampis

Liked: 39 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradyr View Post
Did you find marking picky?

I read from someone that if you didn't have what was word for word in the answer key, you don't get the marks. I heard that short answer is brutal for this course.

And essays being docked harshly for things like inappropriate comma insertion, etc.

And last minute instructions for the symposium project that is worth 20%. Did you actually find out you got over 90% in it? I thought marks weren't released for it. Thanks!
Hey, the marking really depended on your TA and the topic you picked. I found when I picked broad topics I scored much less than if I picked specific topics that focused on one thing. The SA wasn't too bad, but they do ask very specific questions, like list 5 things regarding this and so forth. The essays were not docked to hardly for grammar portion just on the content. But it is difficult sometimes to write about all the components of the essay they want in only 500 words. And for the final project, they don't release final marks, but my group members and I saw the final grade the TA wrote on her paper lol. But I still would recommend this course to others. It isn't hard to score 10+ in the course.

shelbs says thanks to Swampis for this post.
Old 12-25-2014 at 01:15 AM   #31
shelbs

Liked: 15 Times
3A03 - Updated (Fall 2014)
Alright so here was the mark breakdown:

4 midterms, top 3 of 4 marks count (3 x 18%) - 54%
Essay 1 - 8%
Essay 2 - 9%
Symposium - 20%
Tutorial - 9%
NO EXAM

The midterms contained a multiple choice section (20 marks) and a short answer section (25 marks). The multiple choice was very fair and the average was quite high (80% or higher) however the short answer marks were significantly lower (average approximately 60%). Thankfully, these marks seemed to increase (for myself and for other people I knew in the course) with each midterm and the lowest mark was dropped so there was a little room for error. I found that the questions were easier to predict and answer the more tests you had under your belt. Each midterm covered a different "module" (4 or 5 lectures) and the four modules that we covered included Neurological and neurodegenerative disorders (background, ALS, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's), CV and respiratory disorders (background, asthma, congenital heart disease and atherosclerosis), Cancer (background, breast cancer, leukemia and a guest lecture about drug development as it related to leukemia) and Tropical diseases (ebola, scabies, chagas disease and ascariasis). These were all fairly interesting topics and I really enjoyed the lecture style of Dr. da Silva.. BUT it is important to note that she is planning on covering different diseases every year, so it is unlikely that these particular examples will be repeated next year.

The essays were 500 words each, so approximately 2/2.5 pages double spaced. There were four topics to choose from for each essay and sign up was done through avenue. Each topic included four questions that needed to be covered/answered throughout the essay, so it was a little difficult to keep the essay at the appropriate word count. Being concise is the key and although it was challenging, I found that they were marked fairly and it was a useful exercise in learning to be thorough but to the point.

The symposium seemed like a lot of work but it was done in groups of 3 or 4 and once the work was divided up, it was very reasonable. There was a list of 10 diseases, again sign up was done via avenue, and for each disease, the etiology, epidemiology and pathophysiology had to be discussed, as well as the first therapeutic designed to treat the disease/alleviate the associated symptoms and a current therapeutic. These two drugs (or treatment options) had to be compared (efficacy, side effects, etc.) with particular emphasis on peer reviewed literature and studies conducted on the chosen drugs. An abstract was due worth 2% of the final mark, and the poster and presentation (which was done for either Dr. da Silva, Sunita or one of the TAs who were walking around during the symposium) accounted for the remaining 18%. Not sure how the marking was because we were given no feedback (was considered our exam).

The tutorials were designed to get us thinking about a career and academic plan for the future. We had to do minute papers (short reflections) at the end of (most of) the tutorials, as well as a group reflection (done in class) and an individual reflection (done outside of class time). The intentions behind these tutorials was very good - to expose students interested in health and disease to other careers or occupations besides medicine/physician - but they were not the most enjoyable or useful for me personally. I think they will fine-tune these tutorials in the future, as I get the impression that this was the first year they were incorporated into the course.

If you have any other questions, let me know.
Old 06-07-2015 at 01:10 PM   #32
bradyr

Liked: 10 Times
Are there in-class lectures for this course? It conflicts with one of my courses I really wanted to take :(
Old 06-08-2015 at 04:12 PM   #33
gggggg

Liked: 53 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradyr View Post
Are there in-class lectures for this course? It conflicts with one of my courses I really wanted to take :(
Yes, all lectures are in class. I think lectures are very helpful but definitely not necessary since ALL the tested information are on the slides. This course is very interesting, and it is definitely my favourite course of the year.
Old 06-15-2015 at 09:19 PM   #34
petersrj

Liked: 0 Times
I was just wondering whether this course should still be taken without the Life Sci 2A03 prereq having been done. Does the course build off a lot from this material, and if you haven't taken 2A03 can you still do well?
Old 06-17-2015 at 09:39 AM   #35
gggggg

Liked: 53 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petersrj View Post
I was just wondering whether this course should still be taken without the Life Sci 2A03 prereq having been done. Does the course build off a lot from this material, and if you haven't taken 2A03 can you still do well?
took without 2A03, scored a 12. The people I asked said that 2A03 have almost no relevance to this course.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search